PDA

View Full Version : Expert advice needed GU Transfer case

Bundu
14th August 2013, 10:33 PM
For those that have pulled apart the TB45/48 GU transfer case and knows the inside out of this TC or by accurate and confirmed manual description/illustration.

Im stuck with the orientation of the sleeve coupler/selector ring between the main transfer gear and the low gear. It can go on the coupler hub sleeve two ways of which only one is the correct way in order not to destroy the dogs on the TC main gear.

No speculation please, this can cost a lot of money, if done wrong.
See posting #9

Thanks
Bundu

Clunk
14th August 2013, 10:38 PM
Noticed this is your second post on this subject....... You'll have to have a bit of patience mate, it's anywhere between 8pm and 10pm over here so there's not so many folk on....... Well not ones that maybe able to help you that is.

Bundu
15th August 2013, 02:12 AM
Thanks I take note: Posted once and could not find it to check on. With erratic internet connection here posted a second with the thought it did not register, in between I'm monitoring about four other forums on a couple of issues. Seems not possible to delete a posting once it is on.

Looking forward to the advice

Mods are welcome to remove the boogie one.

Clunk
15th August 2013, 02:35 AM
All good mate, certainly no harm done. Best way to keep track of threads is to subscribe to the thread. If you're using a PC, click on "thread tools" above. Then when you want to check your thread click on "settings" right at the top of the screen. This should then show you all threads you've subscribed too.

Apologies for the hijack of your original question and unfortunately I'm not able to help with it. Hopefully one f the technically minded will be able to help.................. just be careful though because threads can get buried pretty quickly in here and sometimes get missed. So give it a bump to the top if you haven't had an answer............... Hope you get the info you need mate.

Clunk
15th August 2013, 10:15 PM
Bump for Bundu.......

Bundu
15th August 2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advise, will do. Unfortunately I cant even download (size issues) the manual to see what the nature of detail is wrt this part or for that matter the entire TC. I think it it would already help a great deal if there is some one that can only make available the TC section in pdf or pm it to me. Or if there is some one with a Max Ellery manual that can make me a copy of this particular section or page or two.
I think the guys who has installed reduction gears would be of great assistance, for those that did it themselves.

Clunk
15th August 2013, 10:39 PM
I don't have a copy of the manual but if I get the chance later tonight, I'll jump on the lappy and download it. See if I can dig out the pages you need.

Clunk
16th August 2013, 01:44 AM
PM sent mate

Bundu
16th August 2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks to Clunk for supplying me with very helpful info.

At this point it is not very well described what the orientation of the TC main gear coupler is. This coupler is located in the mid section of the transfer box of the TB45 GU and switch between the TC main gear and TC low gear also called the "H-L coupler sleeve". From the pics it can be seen that the main gear as well as the coupler has a different dog gear "pitch", one surface is somewhat larger than the other. I'm not sure about which side should match up with which side when the coupler is shifted on to/over the main gear. My fears come in when this shifting take place when the vehicle is in motion, and I dont want to bust the T box.

It can be seen that there is a "pitch" difference on both gears. Due to the fact that one dog gear broke off on the main gear which was the reason for a tack tack sound and subsequent TC dissemble, I replaced the main gear . I want to be dead sure that this does not happen again due to faulty installation.

There can obviously be only one CORRECT way to install in order not to damage the maingear dogs.
Pic 1 is coupler one side
Pic 2 is coupler other side
Pic 3 is TC main gear with dogs and "pitch" wide side and norrow side per tooth
Pic 4 is coupler over main one way
Pic 5 is coupler over main the other way
Pic 6 which is the right way ?????

Thanks
Bundu

spoonie
9th October 2013, 01:06 AM
Hi bundu
The photos are a bit hard tell. If you look at the pitch of the teeth on the should be the same shape so they mesh Eg triangle to triangle, ramp to ramp. It dose get a bit hard when the teeth are worn to tell the difference. You shouldn't really shift form H to L in motion seen a few TF die because of it. If you still unsure do a dry run on the bench before you refit, shift it heaps of times and if unhappy switch it around the other way and try.

Bundu
30th October 2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks spoonie
I got it sorted out from photos I took and apart from what I consider an improvement to change the two half moon pilot bearings with a single bearing, it runs as smooth and effective as new.
I bought the car in its former condition from the american peace corps on an auction. The CIA definitely know how to hide latent faults/defects not to mention how well they know how to drive an automatic sedan only. It seems to me they first need to go and fight a war in Iraq and Afghanistan before they can drive a 4x4 manual shift.