PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body help

Country_GU
13th August 2013, 09:14 PM
Hey all, got a zd30 ddti non crd engine and I'm trying to remove the throttle body, I've removed the 3 bolts that hold it in, but the fker won't move an inch, are there some hidden bolts I don't know about? I've tried chiseling the flange as much as I'm willing to go with no avail......
Here's a pic to help,

threedogs
14th August 2013, 10:48 AM
I cant see on that pic but grab an inspection mirror to see if you have missed a bolt.

Parksy
14th August 2013, 10:59 AM
Appears to have 3 bolts. Not sure why it's not coming off. Maybe give the gasket a spray with some penetrant?
http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/zd30_engine_problems.htm

Country_GU
14th August 2013, 10:44 PM
Got him off, pry bar did the trick ;) cleaned it up, whoever rebuilt the engine didn't put a gasket there just gasket goo, hello boost leak!!!! Now short of taking the inlet manifold off, any tips on cleaning it as much as I can?32990

Evo
15th August 2013, 12:04 AM
Hi mate,

I usually clean off mating surfaces like that with a razor blade and a little used engine oil.

Evo

Country_GU
15th August 2013, 06:09 AM
Ah yeah cheers mate, this engine is doing my head in a bit, whilst I'm pretty mechanically savvy, I've only ever really worked on petrol engines lol. I read somewhere that you have to unscrew the oil seal on the glow plugs, cause well, they're stuffed and I may aswell do them while I have the throttle body off. So yeah, how does one unscrew the glow plug oil seals?

Country_GU
16th August 2013, 04:51 PM
Well while I had the throttle body off, I did the glow plugs, 3/4 had 1/3 of the tip missing. Cleaned the buzzbar, got a new throttle body gasket, stuck it all back together, cleaned the intercooler piping out and got proper t bolt clamps for the pipes, just gotta fit the intercooler tonight and take her for a spin!!! Excited!!!!!!

macca86
16th August 2013, 05:04 PM
Nice one I did all this last weekend wat a fun job. While the cooler is off you should block the egr if you haven't already done so

Country_GU
16th August 2013, 05:29 PM
How does one do this? Do you block it at the exhaust end or the intake end?

macca86
16th August 2013, 07:06 PM
The top near the inter cooler that has 2 bolts in there the blanking plate goes but you will need to loosen the one bolt at the bottom connection to get it open enough to remove the gasket and slip the plate in

Country_GU
17th August 2013, 07:46 AM
Ah yep cool, cheers

Country_GU
17th August 2013, 09:50 AM
Forgot to attach the other picture! Here's the pic of my glow plugs, anyone say stuffed??33062

happygu
17th August 2013, 10:03 AM
Least the tips are still attached and haven't broken off completely.

I think glow plugs should be changed every 150,000 klms as a precaution, as there have been quite a few motors with damage to the piston crown and head from the tips.

Mic

Country_GU
17th August 2013, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't have even known they were that bad if it didn't take me 4 times to glow the engine enough to start it, that's the only reason I went snooping lol but the infamous whistle is still there so I think vacuum lines will get replaced next week :/