PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack/Bar options

scotty83
13th August 2013, 07:32 PM
Hi All so some b@st@rd stole my roof rack this week. Now it is time to find a replacement.

So here are my issues.
My previous roof rack was one of those Steel 6 leg ebay jobs. It was great but way too difficult to attach and detach due to the weight. I don't like leaving it on (although in hind sight i may still have it if I did).

So what i am looking at is Rhino racks 3 bars, and an alloy cage(i am thinking tigerz11 type just removing the legs). this way i should be able to add the bars and then the rack.

So questions:
1. Any other ideas
2. Heavy Duty or Aero. both bars appear to have the same weight options. is there something i am missing? which is the best for accessories?

HEEEEELLLPPP

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2013, 07:48 PM
There is a thread by Drewboy on this topic about?? See if we can find it or Drew can post a link

Drewboyaus
13th August 2013, 07:59 PM
I'm on the moby at the moment. I'll post a link when I get back to the lappy in a little while. I have the 3 bar setup and trying to work out what I prefer for the rack. I haven't bought one yet (bought a rear bar instead last week ) but was leaning towards one of those Rhino Pioneer flat platforms.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

scotty83
13th August 2013, 08:01 PM
yeah i have just seem those pioneer jobs. they really look the goods

scotty83
13th August 2013, 08:15 PM
Found it thanks. Wasn't using the right search words. Switched to Rhino and found it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22268-Thoughts-on-Rhino-trays&p=402873#post402873

Where did you end up getting yours from? and did you get Aero or HD Square

Drewboyaus
13th August 2013, 08:27 PM
I bought the square HD bars. Don't buy new though, they're a dime a dozen on eBay. I think I picked my 3 bars up for $150.

Clunk
13th August 2013, 10:25 PM
Will hopefully have scored a 2nd hand set myself by the end of the week...... consisting of 3hd bars with 110mm feet, ally cage, spare set of longer feet and a couple of other bits n pieces. Been searching for quite some time, so pounced when these came up.

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

Drewboyaus
13th August 2013, 10:54 PM
Will hopefully have scored a 2nd hand set myself by the end of the week...... consisting of 3hd bars with 110mm feet, ally cage, spare set of longer feet and a couple of other bits n pieces. Been searching for quite some time, so pounced when these came up.

Which alloy cage is it Clunk?

Clunk
13th August 2013, 11:13 PM
Sorry I should have said alloy tray not cage......... its the 1800mm one

threedogs
14th August 2013, 08:16 AM
made my own and fitted to Rhino racks very light, total cost under $200

Squalo
14th August 2013, 12:16 PM
I've just switched from a stupidly heavy ARB-copy cage to a Rhino rack system with separate cage/tray too. So now I have a ROLA aero rack and pod system and the Rhino/cage system to switch between - and unlike before, I can now actually swap systems over by myself.

The cage I got is a custom made alloy job built by a fabricater in Caloundra, scored it off ebay for $150. It's pretty solid but so light my 7yo son can pick it up and carry it. Then in the same week I sold the big rack that I paid $415 delivered for, for $200 - didn't even need to advertise, a mate just happened to ask if it was available.

Pics show it on the aero bars, that's how I got it home. They are now back under the pod and the rack is on Rhino bars.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag78/v4racer1/Nicerack1_zps60498f1b.jpg

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag78/v4racer1/Nicerack2_zps7b229610.jpg

threedogs
14th August 2013, 03:59 PM
Way more options that way, BTW looks great I like the low profile style