PDA

View Full Version : My GU Rd28Eti Debacle......

Ninja085
12th August 2013, 10:52 PM
Hi,

I thought i might start buy giving a quick rundown of the trouble i've had. . .

My Partner purchased car before i was with her. The original motor spun the crankshaft pulley on the snout of the crankshaft, destroying nearly everything internally (or so the mechanics report says). Mechanic told her motor was unusable and told her a replacement 2nd hand engine was needed. Told her that a new motor was not worth it. She went ahead with the replacement 2nd hand motor @ a total cost just shy of $11,000 . . .

For the following year she had trouble with, Over heating,Smoke, not starting, Running Rough. Upon calling the mechanic he said that its not the motor and he would have to look at replacing other components. She didn't go ahead with anything. Since then it went to about 5 different mechanics to find out the problem with the excessive smoke, and no power, rough idle, burning through diesel like crazy. Fuel pump was Serviced, Injectors Changed, Timing belt changed, New Glow plugs, more new glow plugs coz the other ones were the wrong ones, new starter motor, new battery, flush radiator, new radiator, engine flush. and about $2000 in Labour fees all up....

That's where i came in. not done even 10,000 k's in 2 years after having the motor replaced from constantly being in the shops, and from the overheating that happened, it had blown the head gasket or so i thought. I began taking the head off, also deciding to check the timing belt. Removed fan, Harmonic balancer and timing belt cover. All to find the Crankshaft Sprocket had thrown the cutter wheel that send the signal through the crankshaft position sensor off and bent it up, and was spinning freely.
Had sprocket replaced, changed head gasket. Walla, more power, easy start, and not as much smoke.

Turbo was whistling like never before. Although i thought i fixed the problem something still didn't seem right. was still pressurizing the radiator blowing out coolant from the overflow. Running cold it would smoke the whole street just idling as it warmed up, and you wouldn't dare try move it unless you ride the clutch and rev it to about 3000rpm.

Time to pull stuff apart to find the culprit. Air intake removed, full of Oil. Intercooler removed, full of oil. Intake manifold full of oil. Turbo removed, Oil leaking from exhaust side. Turbo compressor wheels had been contacting the housing. . .

Time to make the choice. . .. . What to do . .. . after consideration decided to go the rebuild path. Pulled motor apart.

Hydraulic Lifters pitted from lobes on Camshaft, and not rotating.
Crankshaft Keyway Flogged out, Crankshaft oil pump face flogged out
Piston Bores Scored
Cylinder head Cracked.
Heater pipes deteriorated
Oil Pump Inner Rotor Worn
Turbo bearings and seals collapsed

tdsasp
13th August 2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, I've had mine 14 years since new, done 99400kms, never had a problem, must be one of the lucky ones.

Can youy let me know how you go with the engine rebeuild.

Cheers

Nige.

Hi,

I thought i might start buy giving a quick rundown of the trouble i've had. . .

My Partner purchased car before i was with her. The original motor spun the crankshaft pulley on the snout of the crankshaft, destroying nearly everything internally (or so the mechanics report says). Mechanic told her motor was unusable and told her a replacement 2nd hand engine was needed. Told her that a new motor was not worth it. She went ahead with the replacement 2nd hand motor @ a total cost just shy of $11,000 . . .

For the following year she had trouble with, Over heating,Smoke, not starting, Running Rough. Upon calling the mechanic he said that its not the motor and he would have to look at replacing other components. She didn't go ahead with anything. Since then it went to about 5 different mechanics to find out the problem with the excessive smoke, and no power, rough idle, burning through diesel like crazy. Fuel pump was Serviced, Injectors Changed, Timing belt changed, New Glow plugs, more new glow plugs coz the other ones were the wrong ones, new starter motor, new battery, flush radiator, new radiator, engine flush. and about $2000 in Labour fees all up....

That's where i came in. not done even 10,000 k's in 2 years after having the motor replaced from constantly being in the shops, and from the overheating that happened, it had blown the head gasket or so i thought. I began taking the head off, also deciding to check the timing belt. Removed fan, Harmonic balancer and timing belt cover. All to find the Crankshaft Sprocket had thrown the cutter wheel that send the signal through the crankshaft position sensor off and bent it up, and was spinning freely.
Had sprocket replaced, changed head gasket. Walla, more power, easy start, and not as much smoke.

Turbo was whistling like never before. Although i thought i fixed the problem something still didn't seem right. was still pressurizing the radiator blowing out coolant from the overflow. Running cold it would smoke the whole street just idling as it warmed up, and you wouldn't dare try move it unless you ride the clutch and rev it to about 3000rpm.

Time to pull stuff apart to find the culprit. Air intake removed, full of Oil. Intercooler removed, full of oil. Intake manifold full of oil. Turbo removed, Oil leaking from exhaust side. Turbo compressor wheels had been contacting the housing. . .

Time to make the choice. . .. . What to do . .. . after consideration decided to go the rebuild path. Pulled motor apart.

Hydraulic Lifters pitted from lobes on Camshaft, and not rotating.
Crankshaft Keyway Flogged out, Crankshaft oil pump face flogged out
Piston Bores Scored
Cylinder head Cracked.
Heater pipes deteriorated
Oil Pump Inner Rotor Worn
Turbo bearings and seals collapsed

CrossCountry
14th August 2013, 07:28 PM
Good luck Ninja,
It's good to be able to do the work yourself. I've just put a new head on mine. Big job, but not as big as yours.
Cheers

happygu
14th August 2013, 07:33 PM
Wow Ninja,

That is one dodgy second and motor....

Mic

Ian2011
14th August 2013, 07:39 PM
Mine lost the crank pulley once and cost 11000 approx for rebuild by a mob in Melbourne, second time the fanbelt broke and somehow got under the timing belt cover and then under the timing belt which then caused serious damage again. Although I liked the engine (also had dieselgas fitted which gave it a little extra ommf), I opted to replace with a chev. All I can say is good luck with it all, I wasn't confident to even drive mine after the rebuild and to have it damaged again by a fan belt that was the last straw for me.

Time for a conversion I think.

Where2fromhere
11th May 2014, 10:38 PM
Mate thanks for all the detail and photos. I've just replaced the balancer with an after market unit at about half the price ofMr Nissan's. Unfortunately since it was fitted the old girl wouldn't start properly. Once it kicks over it runs like a dream, no issues, full rev range and no smoke at all. Can drive all day without any dramas and have actually considered that, but am a bit worried about the noise for the neighbours and fuel bill. Yours is the first that shows where the cam angle sensor comes in. It clearly doesn't pick up the balancer, but I'd be keen to know if you have any suggestions in my starting issues. They are average no matter if she's hot OR cold. Look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards Mark