PDA

View Full Version : Nokia windows phone

growler2058
11th August 2013, 09:09 PM
I like my camera but obviously don't carry it around everywhere. I phone cameras are ok but you lose quality when trying to zoom. My contract runs out in October and I've been looking at the Nokia 1020 sounds bloody impressive with the Cameras zoom and 40 megapixels and the vids look cool to. Anyone know anything about them?
Link below is the Aussie review

http://m.t3.com.au/2013/07/25/nokia-lumia-1020-review-hands-on/

jordanp
11th August 2013, 10:09 PM
Yep. I'm a big fan of the Windows Phones, and the 1020 certainly seems to be the high calibre one to get. The interface is very responsive so you'll fly through anything you have on there. What phone are you moving on from?

Clunk
11th August 2013, 10:14 PM
can only go by what a mate has said, he reckons Windows 8 not as user friendly as IOS or android..................... havent tried it myself but interested to hear other folks thoughts

happygu
11th August 2013, 10:55 PM
I would have preferred one, and I was looking at the older model and made the mistake of letting the boss choose and I have ended up with an Iphone5. The Windows Phones compared to the Iphone, they seem to be much more responsive to my touch and seem to be the ducks nuts.....

The only problem is the lack of apps, but I don't use all that many, as most are crap anyway unless you want to hand over wads of cash.

Mic

growler2058
12th August 2013, 11:58 AM
Yep. I'm a big fan of the Windows Phones, and the 1020 certainly seems to be the high calibre one to get. The interface is very responsive so you'll fly through anything you have on there. What phone are you moving on from?

iPhone 4GS currently

taslucas
12th August 2013, 12:48 PM
Have a look at the Xperia z growlers. Looks like a great phone and Sony Ericssons have always been great with photo and video. It's also water proof!

TPC
12th August 2013, 12:55 PM
I was given a windows 8 phone by the boss to try out and determine if we all changed over, I used it for 2 days and found it a pain to use and went back to an Android phone
I found it less user friendly than Android or Apple.

jordanp
12th August 2013, 10:02 PM
I was given a windows 8 phone by the boss to try out and determine if we all changed over, I used it for 2 days and found it a pain to use and went back to an Android phone
I found it less user friendly than Android or Apple.

Wow. Really? I can't imagine why. But horses for courses. I agree with happygtu, the Windows Phones have to have the most responsive interface out there. They are also a mile easier to navigate than the Androids and a lot more open than the IOS phones. Plus, with the Nokia 1020 which is discussed here, there really is no other phone camera that comes close.

Everyone I know with an android is ready to chuck it against the wall after a few weeks, but i suppose it is all about what you're trying to do with it.

jordanp
12th August 2013, 10:04 PM
Oh, and I nearly forgot. The Nokia phones come with one of the best navigation applications for free. My wife has a Nokia 900 with it and it really is awesome with speech and all!

BigRAWesty
13th August 2013, 12:48 AM
Have a look at the Xperia z growlers. Looks like a great phone and Sony Ericssons have always been great with photo and video. It's also water proof!

Not water proof, but resistant. But still a dam nice phone. But dust and scratch proof to..
Only down fall IMO is it is a bit fragile.. Sure I sat on it (sat on steel) but it showed no resistance.. I'm getting another one as I only had it for 2 weeks.. Best phone I've used so far, but I didn't try any windows phones.
Awesome photos, quick as hell, probably a little big with the 5" screen but after a week it wasn't an issue..
The biggest plus was the awesome battery life.. I use mine a lot and it easily lasted 24+ hours.. It took 10 days to die after I sat on it.. That was from 80% battery...

macca86
13th August 2013, 04:09 AM
I've had the Nokia lumina 800 and the Sony experia and I'd say once you get your head around the windows system it's really easy to use everything is on 2 screens rather than flicking through pages of menues the music store Zune is great lets you upload downloaded songs where apple would not unless you buy them plus it was a tough phone just didn't like being dropped in a bucket of water. The Sony on the other hand is large in size not bulky but huge screen great camera runs android but it feels clumsy after getting use to the windows phone and is fragile I fell asleep on the couch with it in my pocket woke up to a cracked screen.
Wish I never left the Nokia

jordanp
13th August 2013, 09:42 PM
+1 on the build quality of Nokia. My wife isn't exactly gentle with hers and not a mark on it.
I am surprised over how fragile the Sony is though. Would've thought most would use gorilla glass these days.

Maxhead
13th August 2013, 09:56 PM
once you get your head around the windows system it's really easy to use

hahahaha, that could take a while though:)

jordanp
13th August 2013, 10:07 PM
hahahaha, that could take a while though:)

hahaha oh come on. It's a flatter design than the IOS phones. Plus, it has colour themes!!! (that last part might be a bit sarcastic). It really is straight forward though :P

macca86
14th August 2013, 07:13 AM
I'm no tech head but after 3 days I loved it. Got my mate onto the Nokia and he loves it too. The Facebook app isn't that great but other than that top phones. The Sony does use gorilla glass but when you hold it you can flex it gorilla glass can take impact but will crack if you flex it like I found out.

taslucas
14th August 2013, 07:23 AM
Everyone I know with an android is ready to chuck it against the wall after a few weeks, but i suppose it is all about what you're trying to do with it.

Really? I have found the complete opposite.
I suppose its like the "which tyre is better" question. A big can of worms.

Not water proof, but resistant. But still a dam nice phone. But dust and scratch proof to.. ..

Jump on YouTube and watch people using it under water for extended periods of time

BigRAWesty
14th August 2013, 07:27 AM
Yea they show people showering with it and all, but they state only resistant..