PDA

View Full Version : Servicing your zd30

macca86
10th August 2013, 06:24 PM
Hi guys bit of a bitch and rant thread but also some helpful tips when servicing your zd30 patrol. This was my first time I did my service as I normally use a mechanic.

Diff. I dropped the oil was black as night. Easy just use your breaker bar. To fill up I bought a Tom Thumb what a great buy at 15 bucks from sure cheap requires effort but makes a messy job easy. Only just nip up your drain plug

Engine oil. I used some nulon oil flush as per instructions. Delo 400 oil was used this service. Remove oil cap and then drop oil dispose properly. Remove oil filter now what a stupid design that is cartridge type located near the turbo this was done really tight plus the heat soak doesn't help it really hard to get at. Top up as needed.

Air filter was the easy part self explanatory

Here comes my heart ache for today bloody glow plugs I don't know why every where said they were easy but its time consuming but while you're at it you may as well do the extras too.
Remove the inter cooler mine were all m12 bolts. Put to the side remove mounting bracket too clean out with petrol or other solvent.
Now remove the throttle body 3x m12 bolts the 3rd one is at the back not visible feel for it now remove the throttle body plus 2 vacuum hoses clean out all te carbon. Also clean as much of the intake manifold as you can i used a coat hanger rags and petrol to reach in and clean.

While all of this is done its a good time to block your egr valve if you haven't already. Remove the 2 bolts m12 then loosen the m14 bolt below the egr pipe enough so you can remove the gasket and slip in your blank plate. Re tighten.

Now back to the glow plugs take battery terminals off i do this before all my work remove buss bar and don't forget a long m12 socket or you'll not be abe to do this I had to run to the shops to buy a set. Now remove carefully I had no dramas but there are horror stories be gentle and smooth mine came out oily and the tips were pitted and rusty. Now install new ones hand screw in only then last minute use the socket nip it up dont over do it slow and steady wins the race. Now do every thing back up check all the lines are back on and go for a shake down drive.

Now what were the engineers of this motor thinking you can't get to anything everything is awkward or in the way. The whole egr thing is a joke the amount of crud built up was terrible. I now know why mechanics hate the zd30.

It does drive heaps better more poke after the service and egr block. My boots hasn't changed but my temps may be lower due to less crud a clean maf and no egr. What a days work.

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Macca86,
Did you have to remove your rocker cover to get the glow plugs out?

Sir Roofy
10th August 2013, 08:43 PM
Hey macca hope you have put in a catch can so the motor can breath

macca86
10th August 2013, 08:45 PM
No need to just bought a m 12 deep socket and used a screw driver to turn the black plastic covers over each glow plug then unscrew them and use your socket to remove the glow plug. If you ment engine cover then yes that comes off to remove the cooer but I don't have that on as I have a cross country cooler

macca86
10th August 2013, 08:45 PM
Hey macca hope you have put in a catch can so the motor can breath

Already have a catch can on mate.

Ben-e-boy
10th August 2013, 09:07 PM

BigRAWesty
10th August 2013, 09:22 PM

Can we find one for winnies electrical successes??? Lol

So a successful service of a Zd30 hay? Is it on the shed floor and replaced with a TD42??

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 09:26 PM
No need to just bought a m 12 deep socket and used a screw driver to turn the black plastic covers over each glow plug then unscrew them and use your socket to remove the glow plug. If you ment engine cover then yes that comes off to remove the cooer but I don't have that on as I have a cross country cooler

thanks Macca,
I know what you mean, just unscrew the seal out of the rocker cover.
Cheers

macca86
10th August 2013, 09:37 PM

So a successful service of a Zd30 hay? Is it on the shed floor and replaced with a TD42??

Haha I think I'd go a dura max or ls conversion if I were to break the zd30.

fracster
10th August 2013, 09:44 PM

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Fracster/Silly%20Stuff/Laugh.gif (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Fracster/media/Silly%20Stuff/Laugh.gif.html)

Country_GU
11th August 2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah the engine I have to admit isn't designed the best, I think because it's designed on a bench then shoe horned into the car, thats what my foreman at work told me anyway (i work at nissan in toowoomba) wait til you have a second battery on the passenger side and he man has done the filter up before you, my knuckles are permanently scarred from repeated radiator/airbox/intercooler punching all dependant on if he man had his protein shake that morning lol

macca86
11th August 2013, 08:47 PM
Yeah the engine I have to admit isn't designed the best, I think because it's designed on a bench then shoe horned into the car, thats what my foreman at work told me anyway (i work at nissan in toowoomba) wait til you have a second battery on the passenger side and he man has done the filter up before you, my knuckles are permanently scarred from repeated radiator/airbox/intercooler punching all dependant on if he man had his protein shake that morning lol

I do have a 2nd battery on the passenger side haha and I think Arnold Schwarzenegger done mine up