PDA

View Full Version : Help. Need a mobile welder.

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 05:12 PM
I've been doing my nads setup and thought I would just tap the exhaust to install the egt probe. But to my luck Ive had a bit of a mess up and now need to get the bung welded in.

Is there anyone that is or knows of a mobile welder that can do this for me today or tomorrow?

Perth, south of the river

I have cash!

Regards

Shaun

AB
10th August 2013, 05:26 PM
I'm on phone so can't see location if you have it. Throw up your location in that post mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Winnie
10th August 2013, 05:27 PM
I'm on phone so can't see location if you have it. Throw up your location in that post mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Perth it says on his profile

Got sick of Motorculture so gone back to Tappa

threedogs
10th August 2013, 05:33 PM
Instead of welder try a Gas torch and silver solder bung on or braze
what ever tickles your fancy

Clunk
10th August 2013, 05:37 PM
I know a couple of welders but they don't have mobile equipment. Google "mobile welders Perth" there's a few that come up

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 05:47 PM
Instead of welder try a Gas torch and silver solder bung on or braze
what ever tickles your fancy

Silver solder? What is this?

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 05:48 PM
I know a couple of welders but they don't have mobile equipment. Google "mobile welders Perth" there's a few that come up

I rang 3 local to me but they all rang out :(

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 06:16 PM
Well someone rang me back. Gonna cost and arm and leg to get a small weld but it needs to be done.

Clunk
10th August 2013, 06:18 PM
yep, thats the trouble with trying to get something done on the weekend

threedogs
10th August 2013, 06:19 PM
Stick welding with a flame using either 2% or 15 % silver solder
But for the Bung I think the neatest way would be to get it TIG welded in
Someone just had it done for $40 from memory. Think that's your best Bet

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 06:20 PM
Gonna cost me 4 time that to have it done at home on a sunday

threedogs
10th August 2013, 06:24 PM
That's robbery hold off till you suss something cheaper IMO
$160 for 5 mins work nah
EDIT:: it was a 4x4 shop the tig welded it up for him

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 06:46 PM
I know it is but I don't have another car and can't really drive it with a big hole in right in the engine bay.
Plus if I don't go to work Monday ill lose a lot more then $160

happygu
10th August 2013, 06:49 PM
Shaun,

For another option, with a bit more work on your behalf, will it be cheaper to remove your dump pipe and take it to someone....

Mic

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 06:54 PM
Shaun,

For another option, with a bit more work on your behalf, will it be cheaper to remove your dump pipe and take it to someone....

Mic

That was my first thought. But for some reason who ever had the exhaust put on the car has had the dump pipe welders to the exhaust system. So I would have to remove half my exhaust

BigRAWesty
10th August 2013, 06:59 PM
I could pop over. I think travel would kill you but.. Lol

macca86
10th August 2013, 07:03 PM
A hole in the exhaust for a week will do no harm. As a boilermaker for a small fiddely job you can expect 60 to 100 an hr plus consumables minimum 4 hr charge plus Saturday 1.5x rate and Sunday 2 x rate.

happygu
10th August 2013, 07:14 PM
That was my first thought. But for some reason who ever had the exhaust put on the car has had the dump pipe welders to the exhaust system. So I would have to remove half my exhaust

The dump pipe should start at the back of the Turbo, and finish just around the cross-member for the gearbox, and be easy to be unbolted.....

It won't hurt driving with a hole, as Macca pointed out, but it will sound strange, and if you are going to drive it, just put a metal shield in front of the stuff directly opposite the hole, and that will protect it from any heat damage.

Mic

happygu
10th August 2013, 07:16 PM
A hole in the exhaust for a week will do no harm. As a boilermaker for a small fiddely job you can expect 60 to 100 an hr plus consumables minimum 4 hr charge plus Saturday 1.5x rate and Sunday 2 x rate.

$160 is cheap then...... I thought so to, as it always takes slightly longer than you think as everything is that little bit harder on the vehicle

Mic

outback
10th August 2013, 07:33 PM
I would have thought for $160 there abouts you could get your own little home level MIG welder. I would lend you mine but I doubt you will appreciate the freight costs.

In general I thought, wrongly it seems anyone wanting to do their own mods would at least have a welder or a gas system.

Old age showing through.

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 08:04 PM
Cheers for the replays guy. Especially you guy offering to come from over east. Lol

Yer I've never needed a welder until today. Plus Ive never welded before. Lol

AB
10th August 2013, 08:12 PM

I agree with macca mate, if you can get away with not driving the car tomorrow and first thing Monday drive straight to a shop and get it done.

providing the hole isn't directly pointing towards anything of course.

When I did my turbo I drove around for about 20 minutes with just the dump pipe pointing downwards, no connection to exhaust to try out the new turbo and all was well.

Sounded like a beast too...lol

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 08:31 PM
I agree with macca mate, if you can get away with not driving the car tomorrow and first thing Monday drive straight to a shop and get it done.

providing the hole isn't directly pointing towards anything of course.

When I did my turbo I drove around for about 20 minutes with just the dump pipe pointing downwards, no connection to exhaust to try out the new turbo and all was well.

Sounded like a beast too...lol

I bet it did. I remember taking the exhaust pipes of my VZ maloo for some loud fun.

I would like to take it in Monday but I have work. Won't be free again till next Saturday.
Don't wont to drive the car all week with a hole in the pipe

happygu
10th August 2013, 08:34 PM
I bet it did. I remember taking the exhaust pipes of my VZ maloo for some loud fun.

I would like to take it in Monday but I have work. Won't be free again till next Saturday.
Don't wont to drive the car all week with a hole in the pipe

It isn't the worst thing in the world, and at $160 it won't break the bank....

You'll be all fixed in no time at all, and hopefully you can forget all about it after that.

Mic

Shaun 4x4
10th August 2013, 08:36 PM
It isn't the worst thing in the world, and at $160 it won't break the bank....

You'll be all fixed in no time at all, and hopefully you can forget all about it after that.

Mic

This is true.

Ill just bee happy to see my new gauges all working properly :)

ShaunM
11th August 2013, 05:01 AM
I did the same thing when I tried to tap the EGT sender in. I put a stainless hose clamp around the hole and drove it to the local exhaust shop first thing on the Monday morning. He welded the bung on in about 20mins, charged me $40, I threw the heat shield back on and I got to work only slightly late.

Shaun 4x4
11th August 2013, 04:18 PM
Well it's all done now. Bit pricey but I am happy with the job and now I can finish my install :)

threedogs
11th August 2013, 04:47 PM
You're the only one it needs to please, so now its all done.
ONE LESS THING

AB
11th August 2013, 06:27 PM
Well it's all done now. Bit pricey but I am happy with the job and now I can finish my install :)

Yep, fair call mate, job done, no stress...

happygu
11th August 2013, 07:14 PM
Good stuff Shaun,

Great to hear it is all OK in the end

Mic

BigRAWesty
11th August 2013, 10:25 PM
Good to hear mate.. How much is a bit pricy??

Shaun 4x4
11th August 2013, 10:27 PM
Cheers guys. Was $180

BigRAWesty
12th August 2013, 01:20 AM
Cheers guys. Was $180

:o dam things are expensive your way...