PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Boost low under load

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 02:10 PM
I've got a 2001 ZD30. Just had a new fuel pump installed then I had to install a new head. It's going OK but under load towing a horse float it will go to 15 psi but quickly drop back to 8psi and little power.
I haven't got a Dawes valve or any of the other stuff, just the boost gauge and egt gauge.
Has anyone got any ideas of what could be loosing the boost?
Can the computer be doing that?
Cheers
Greg

threedogs
10th August 2013, 02:13 PM
I think the EGR telling the ECU but others may know better,
15 psi is ok mine spikes to 25 psi
Start getting your NADS together ,its then set and forget

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks threedogs . What drives the turbo actuator in the nads system to control the boost?

threedogs
10th August 2013, 02:45 PM
You control boost with Nads , Best thing you can do especially on the earlier ZD30 , search Chaz Yellowfoot's advice it will answer all your questions.
Can't recommend enough. Has pics etc. EGR block another good mod

YNOT
10th August 2013, 04:35 PM
Boost on Patrol ZD30 is computer controlled and under certain conditions the computer will reduce boost to allow the EGR to work, this has the effect of reducing power and sooting up your engine internally. Technically speaking the purpose of the EGR is to reduce NoX emmissions.
Fitting a dawes and needle valve set up takes boost control away from the computer and allows for a more linear boosting, more like a standard wastegated turbo charger. (Patrol ZD30 uses a variable nozzle turbo and vacuum solenoid instead of a conventional wastegate like Navara ZD30).

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks YNOT.
When does the vacuum solenoid get a signal from the computer to open. Also, is the vacuum going through the solenoid to the VNT variable with revs or is it related to something else?

YNOT
10th August 2013, 05:40 PM
The signal to the solenoid varies constantly depending on revs, load, engine temperature etc, EGR is normally enabled under medium load and revs.

rochjas
10th August 2013, 05:44 PM
You control boost with Nads , Best thing you can do especially on the earlier ZD30 , search Chaz Yellowfoot's advice it will answer all your questions.
Can't recommend enough. Has pics etc. EGR block another good mod

Did my NADS today... And the difference in the drivability is fantastic... I was a not sure about this... but now its done I am 1 happy camper :-). My Patrol use to do the same as you CrossCountry... not anymore.. I am getting a nice smooth boost right thru the range...

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the reply rochjas. Sounds good. Where did you get the instruction from?

rochjas
10th August 2013, 06:13 PM
Hey CrossCountry
I used http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm
I had a mate help me today...He has done his own Patrol.... Its not really hard to do once your pointed in the right direction.... Make sure you block your EGR too... My EGT are running 100 degrees cooler now as well. I sourced my parts from the websites listed in the link above and purchased my EGR block from Ebay.... Purchased 10 metres of silicon hose from ebay too...

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks rochjas. Great info. I think I'll get ordering.
Cheers.

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 07:10 PM
Hey CrossCountry
I used http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm
I had a mate help me today...He has done his own Patrol.... Its not really hard to do once your pointed in the right direction.... Make sure you block your EGR too... My EGT are running 100 degrees cooler now as well. I sourced my parts from the websites listed in the link above and purchased my EGR block from Ebay.... Purchased 10 metres of silicon hose from ebay too...

Rochjas,
what sort of changes did it make to your Patrol

rochjas
10th August 2013, 08:59 PM
I have got Pyro and Boost gauges in a pillar pod. I have done the single Dawes setup.... Also had a snorkel installed. Next up Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be doing the provent catch can install. Looking at getting a Diesel Smart intercooler upgrade soon... Other then that she is stock standard (for now)

CrossCountry
10th August 2013, 09:30 PM
Rochjas,
Did you get more power out of the patrol? Is the single Dawes all that is needed rather than the dual one?

YNOT
10th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Single dawes is all you need.

rochjas
10th August 2013, 10:01 PM
Rochjas,
Did you get more power out of the patrol? Is the single Dawes all that is needed rather than the dual one?

CrossCountry,

Not more power just more predicable boost. The Dawes and Need valve take the control of the turbo away from the ECU. By doing the dawes install you are making the turbo behave like the old school turbo diesels... More linear delivery of boost... ECU controlled turbo boost is unpredictable.

threedogs
11th August 2013, 08:13 AM
You will be happy with the results, if your IC is oily chances are its leaking. I found by doing NADS,,
temps etc are more even, fuel consumption improved as well.
Highly recommend the Diesel smart IC just on value alone,

rochjas
11th August 2013, 03:03 PM
You will be happy with the results, if your IC is oily chances are its leaking. I found by doing NADS,,
temps etc are more even, fuel consumption improved as well.
Highly recommend the Diesel smart IC just on value alone,

Hey 3dogs...

Can you PM the cost of the DS intercooler.... Do they do specials for forum members ??

threedogs
11th August 2013, 03:18 PM
They are forum sponsors look them up in the Vendor section
They have one of the cheaper IC's going around 33% bigger,
pressure tested to 60 psi not 30 psi like some, plus a 5 year warranty.
I only knew of them through this forum, and when you see what some are charging for an IC
you'll find Diesel Smart good value, they do a change over, as I said highly recommend

CrossCountry
11th August 2013, 04:18 PM
CrossCountry,

Not more power just more predicable boost. The Dawes and Need valve take the control of the turbo away from the ECU. By doing the dawes install you are making the turbo behave like the old school turbo diesels... More linear delivery of boost... ECU controlled turbo boost is unpredictable.

Thanks rochjas,
I blocked the egr pipe today. Just waiting for the Dawes to turn up now.

rochjas
11th August 2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks rochjas,
I blocked the egr pipe today. Just waiting for the Dawes to turn up now.

Hey CrossCountry,

Well now your on your way. I did my EGR the same time I did my dawes and needle valve... was told that you might throw a few error codes if you do the EGR before hand.... could be wrong :-)....
But a least you have made a start.... well done

threedogs
11th August 2013, 04:42 PM
Have you done an exhaust upgrade yet???
On the Di motors you'll go into limp mode,
from over boosting

rochjas
11th August 2013, 04:56 PM
Have you done an exhaust upgrade yet???
On the Di motors you'll go into limp mode,
from over boosting
Hey 3dogs
I have not done mine yet as the exhaust is in newish condition in mine.... Its on the list to be done but not yet... I have not had any limp mode issues... I am guessing thats because I did my EGR block and dawes at the same time...

threedogs
11th August 2013, 06:31 PM
The gauges is the best mod IMO lets you know
whats going on so you can adjust your driving style to suit.
I would say mine would have blown up with no NADS.
now I'll put it against anyone with confidence

rochjas
11th August 2013, 08:35 PM
The gauges is the best mod IMO lets you know
whats going on so you can adjust your driving style to suit.
I would say mine would have blown up with no NADS.
now I'll put it against anyone with confidence

Threedogs

I done the gauges already they had been in for 2 months now.... Very true about telling you know what your engine is doing.... It's actually forced me to modify my driving style a little.... Then done Dawes and EGR block yesterday. About to order provent and will have that installed in a few weeks.... Love to be doing the Zorst but $$$ are a little tight ATM.... Might have to hit up the minister of finance for a loan...

CrossCountry
14th August 2013, 09:03 PM
Hey Threedogs,
Where do you get the Zorst exhaust from?

CrossCountry
14th August 2013, 09:05 PM
I got my injectors and new glow plugs back in today with the EGR blocked. The blocking certainly made a difference to how much more boost I can get. Going much better.

mudski
14th August 2013, 09:18 PM
I have a Redback 3inch system on my Di. Hi flow metallic cat and one rear muffler, soon to be removed. There is a massive choice is exhaust systems, prices to suit too. In my personal opinion, you don't need to spend the cash for the top end systems which are $1200 plus. I paid $900 for my Redback system and I fitted it myself. As long as the cat is hi flow and has the metallic filter, not the ceramic type, apparently metalic is better for performance and filtering and doesn't block up as much as ceramic, and it has mandrel bends in the elbows of the pipe. Mandrel bends on exhaust is when where the pipe is bent the diameter of the pipe does not change through the bend, on the other type of bend, mental blank *insert name here*, the bend in the pipe reduces in diameter, caused by the machine that bends the pipe.
Then you got the material the pipe is made from, in my opinion again, stainless is a waste on a diesel, unless your going for the look. Mild steel will do the exact same thing.

Cheers.

threedogs
15th August 2013, 08:38 AM
Zorst is just short for exhaust,
@ rochjas if you don't drive your Patrol hard you may not go into lime mode.
My exhaust is 3" all the way no noise what's so ever, combined with chip
gives pretty spritely performance. I have heaps of boost which doesn't bring on
limp mode. Fuel economy is 12.5/100 around town on 305 MTZs muddies,

X2 with Mudski shop around for the bigger items like bigger exhaust and tigged
intercoolers, I've found Diesel Smart to have best value for money C/O intercooler.
I have nothing to do with them, I just added up what they offered and compared to others.
The others only pressure tested to 30psi not 60psi like DS, 33% bigger like most others,
5 yr warranty beat that, and priced so its very affordable check their vendor page