PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace the dummy lights. Wiring colors?

Money-fishing
9th August 2013, 11:41 PM
Hi guys, 2008 Gu patrol wagon. I noticed for the first time that the tail lights are dummies. Can't have fakes on the back!
Yeah, yeah ADR'S... I know.
Planning on running Stop & Tail from the bumper below later but will be needing reverse ASAP. My wife has a hard enough time seeing with 2 lights :)

1. I'm hoping someone can help with which colour wire the reverse wire is.(presuming its a switching +, ill run the - from an earth point to complete the lights circuit)

2. There are two plugs free within the passenger rear compartment, are these the original plugs for stop, tail, lhs indicate I have been reading about?
One is visible taped to the confute. The other is half the size (thin wires 1mm)

If avail, pictures to assist would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Emile

MudRunnerTD
10th August 2013, 12:26 AM
You will have to run a wire across from the back of the reverse light on the passenger side to the drivers side for the reverse circuit! Dumb! Just Dumb!

Why Nissan made the passenger side the reverse light is retarded!! Just pull out the left tail light and splice in mate.

Money-fishing
10th August 2013, 07:31 AM
Cheers mate, how do I get the light assy off? What colour is the wire?

threedogs
10th August 2013, 08:35 AM
hopefully it will end up like this

MudRunnerTD
10th August 2013, 09:38 AM
Cheers mate, how do I get the light assy off? What colour is the wire?

Undo 3 bolts from inside the inner guard (jack storage one side and the removable panel on passenger side) I think they need a 10mm socket.

Once undone then they clip out! Straight back!

In terms of wire colour? It will be obvious as the 3 lights will share a common earth. ;)

happygu
10th August 2013, 10:08 AM
Emile,

When you take the access panel ( on both sides ) off from the inside, you will see 2 x 10mm Bolts, which you will need to remove.

This then means the lights can be taken out, but you will need to do this carefully the first time, as there are two or three ( depending on your year model ) body clips with the lights themselves having balls on the end of posts which click into the body clips. You will need to pull straight back to pull these out of the body clips. Don't be tempted to pull them sideways at all, as you will break these clips - pull straight back and they will come out.

Mic

threedogs
10th August 2013, 10:12 AM
When drilling out for globes plenty of rags and compressed air, in hindsight try drilling up.
Might stop plastic bits from drilling going everywhere

Money-fishing
10th August 2013, 04:11 PM
Good on you guys! Looks like I have my Sunday job all planned out! Ill post up pics when she's finished.

threedogs
10th August 2013, 04:21 PM
I used a diamond hole saw about 20 mm I think then filed them so OE globe sockets would lock in place.
very hard as in near impossible to get plastic bits out of inside lens so take care.

Evo
11th August 2013, 02:44 AM
Hi mate,

Did the full conversion about a month back.
Reverse is the yellow wire.

Evo

threedogs
11th August 2013, 12:24 PM
Where are we up to???

Money-fishing
11th August 2013, 08:03 PM
I pulled the dummy's out today to have a look. It's all fairly straight forward.
The hardest thing is going to be getting the globe holders to fit snugly.
The wiring for reverse will be coming from the lhs. Stop & Parkers will need to come from the lights in the bumper. My lhs plug has only got the reverse and earth running to it unlike what I have seen described elsewhere. Red wire (reverse) black wire (earth)

Also found out the 2 unused plugs visible from the lhs access panel are for the rear air con unit in the more st-l & TI.
Has anyone found a practical use for these?

Evo
12th August 2013, 03:33 AM
I ran all from the LHS.
I had some 5 core trailer cable lying around that I ran from left to right.
I also upped the brake light and park light fuses to 15A (up from 10A) and the indicators fuse to 10A (up from 7.5)
No problems, all works a treat!

Evo

threedogs
12th August 2013, 08:44 AM
You could put one of these behind the red and clear lens,
As my previous post great output for reversing. And positive
off/on brake effect, I've replaced every globe for led

Money-fishing
12th August 2013, 09:42 PM
Just wired up the reverse ligh

Money-fishing
12th August 2013, 09:46 PM
My biggest concern was dust from the drill bit getting inside the lense. Decided to melt out the centre with a soldering iorn: 32878 once it was neat enough the narva globe holder fit straight in. 32879 next I tapped in to the yellow pos wire from the existing reverse light using a wire splice. I ran the connection under the boot trim cover in to the access panel, under the jack stand then in to the space for the light.
For earth I tapped in to the bumper lights from under the car.

Money-fishing
12th August 2013, 10:04 PM
32880dropped the earth wire down through the grommet then hooked it up to the neg for the stop/tail/indicate: 32881 (black wire in above photo.

Soldered the joins to the holder then wrapped with heat shrink. (Heat shrink goes on first :#)

Slotted the globe holder in to the space cut in the reflector then sealed it up with some sikaflex.

Replaced the cover, the two bolts and she's done.

Works a treat and I can actually see when I reverse now!

Will definitely be changing the globes to led and doing stop/tail one day but I'm in no hurry.
More important as the next job is the double rear wheel mounted reverse lights/work light and antenna holder.

Thanks again for all the help fellas. Will post up a finished product shot tomorrow.

Money-fishing
14th August 2013, 03:03 PM
Pic of brake lights on

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2013, 03:12 PM
Pic of brake lights on

When your ready to do the rest will you swap over the brake signal out of the reverse lights and into the brake slot? Wow they must be bloody bright for the guy behind at night when you put your brakes on and the reverse lights come on? He'll sh1t himself !

Yendor
14th August 2013, 03:18 PM
It's not just the brake lights and reverse light on..... it's also the number plate lights, so the park lights are on as well.

Money-fishing
14th August 2013, 10:41 PM
Lol, sorry guys. I meant reverse lights. Its actually brake, tail and revers

Money-fishing
16th August 2013, 11:38 PM
Wired up just the two bottom stop/tails this arvo. I honestly think people have a hard time seeing our brake lights without them. Will put a pic up tomorrow morning.

threedogs
17th August 2013, 08:42 AM
It because some 4x4 have WOD [Wheel on door], restricting the viewing angle of your tail lights.
Maybe someone maybe able to tell us if its legal to retro fit globes?
Kaymar were a good example when they first made rear wheel carriers, they had to make extra bracket and loom
to fit numberplate and light

Money-fishing
18th August 2013, 10:56 AM
Hey three dogs, according to the ADR's tail/brake lights should be visible from 45deg so, no it isn't legal. But it's one of those things that's only going to get you done if you rub a police officer or inspector up the wrong way.

threedogs
18th August 2013, 11:21 AM
True, I've done mine and the more stop lights that other morons can see the better I feel.
Funny I wouldn't have thought illegal if you had extra safety lights, go figure

Gecko17
19th August 2013, 10:52 PM
True, I've done mine and the more stop lights that other morons can see the better I feel.
Funny I wouldn't have thought illegal if you had extra safety lights, go figure

I ended up putting brake/indicator lights up on my roof rack as I have a dual wheel carrier (kaymar) and you can't see the dummy lights anyway...

I replaced the dummy lights on the last patrol I had and they worked a treat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Money-fishing
20th August 2013, 09:15 PM
Stop/tail all wired up.
I'm just doing the two for now.