PDA

View Full Version : 99 GU Cuts out

evans52
9th August 2013, 09:27 PM
I have a 99 GU Patrol Petrol/LPG Auto 4.5L. LPG is the main tank 100L the Sub Tank is 40L odd.

Long Question: The problem first came to light when it clicks over between 1st and 2nd gear in low speed and revs and the enghine would liuterally cut out. No spluttering, just cut out. Then a few weeks later, last Tuesday night, the Bride was driving it and it cut out again starting at low speed and then at 50km/h. The Bride had the LPG dead on empty, so I assumed it was short on Fuel. I took it to the Servo and put 80L of LPG in it and thought "she'll be right Mate". Uh-huh...........Kept stalling at low speed and then finally wouldn't kick over. Tried it on Petrol as well (yes there was some in tank) and it did the same. Towed it home. Took it to the Mechanic the next day and guess what, he's driven it for a 50km's and not a problem. Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers Craig

threedogs
10th August 2013, 09:31 AM
Hi mate and welcome you might be better posting an intro first so we get to know a bit about you,
Which is probably why you are getting no response,Just something the forum asks of us all
Could be as simple as a loose wire somewhere, But do the intro and take it from there

evans52
10th August 2013, 10:06 AM
Hi mate and welcome you might be better posting an intro first so we get to know a bit about you,
Which is probably why you are getting no response,Just something the forum asks of us all
Could be as simple as a loose wire somewhere, But do the intro and take it from there

Intro huh? Makes sense.

Hi I'm Craig, I like sunsets and long walks along the beach....................;)

Before we owned The Patrol, named "Puff" by the 2 kids after Puff The Magic Dragon, (our BF falcon is named "The Wiggle Car" 'cos it's Red) we owned a 99 Landrover Discovery 1, named "Sir Axle Rod". Sir Axle Rod was our first 4x4 and living in a small town we learnt quickly not to buy a car that is expensive to fix and requires someone who knows their sh*t on that kind of car. We sold that cheap with it's problems and went out and decided to spend a good chunk of loan on a decent 4x4. Hence the Patrol. We love it. It's perfect for towing the Camper Trailer and more importantly, it's my vehicle of choice for my trip to Bathurst in October with a good Mate. So having a few issues with it with just under 2 months to go until Bathurst, I'm a little nervous. Otherwise, the GU is great. Nice ride height. Handles the bumps a bit hard, but we compare it to the Discovery that had a 2" Lift kit, so it had a bit more room to move. The kids love sitting at the very back - a we love it because it's harder to hear them whinging and fighting. Everything on the dash is in easy reach HOWEVER the "cup holder" leaves a lot to be desired. Shockingly terrible. But a $2 bin from Cheap as Chips, cut neatly to size and some decent glue has fixed that and it works a treat.

happygu
10th August 2013, 10:14 AM
Hi Craig,

I haven't owned the 4.5 Petrol, so have no direct experience with them, but it does sound like a power issue, as it is doing it on both Petrol and Gas.

There are 12V fuel cut-off relays for both the Petrol and the LPG, so I would be looking at the power feed to these relays, to make sure there isn't a dodgy join or broken wire there.

Mic

happygu
10th August 2013, 10:16 AM
It could be the same wire, but check the power feed to the changeover switch in the cab too.

Mic

evans52
14th August 2013, 06:31 PM
I have a 99 GU Patrol Petrol/LPG Auto 4.5L. LPG is the main tank 100L the Sub Tank is 40L odd.

Long Question: The problem first came to light when it clicks over between 1st and 2nd gear in low speed and revs and the enghine would liuterally cut out. No spluttering, just cut out. Then a few weeks later, last Tuesday night, the Bride was driving it and it cut out again starting at low speed and then at 50km/h. The Bride had the LPG dead on empty, so I assumed it was short on Fuel. I took it to the Servo and put 80L of LPG in it and thought "she'll be right Mate". Uh-huh...........Kept stalling at low speed and then finally wouldn't kick over. Tried it on Petrol as well (yes there was some in tank) and it did the same. Towed it home. Took it to the Mechanic the next day and guess what, he's driven it for a 50km's and not a problem. Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers Craig

Well thought I'd shame myself and post the outcome of my "problem".

Firstly, when the previous owner of the vehicle had the LPG installed, the LPG was hooked into the Sub Fuel Tank Gauge and the main Fuel Gauge is doing nothing.

Simply there were 2 ways I could have avoided this "problem".

1. When I put the LPG in, I could have put $20 worth of petrol in.
2. When the "problem" first occurred, I could have grabbed the Jerry Can, jumped in the Falcon and got 20L worth of petrol.

Why didn't I? 6 words that popped into my head is why on that Tuesday night at 9pm. They were "F*** it. I can't be bothered". :icon_bonk:

So $163 later for the Mechanic's time and 15L of petrol, I was told that when the "problem" occurred, I didn't have enough or no petrol in the sub tank.

The positive though out of it, I was told that the LPG system that is in there, when it's switched over to LPG it is set/designed so that every time the car starts, it starts on Petrol and then clicks over to LPG when it hits a certain speed or Revs.

Now all I have to do is get someone to hook up the Sub Tank to main gauge - if that's possible.

Cheers for the suggestions too.