PDA

View Full Version : Bare Minimum amount of oil for tb42 ?

Robo
9th August 2013, 09:00 PM
Just replaced a blown head gasket, and the old oil was heavily water contaminated.
Now to assist on cleaning the engine now its fixed can I start the engine in the carport and let it idle for a while, on only 5 litres of new oil?.
obviously then I will dump and refill with correct amount.
I will not be driving or reving the engine, it will run on fast idle on choke but that's all.
So is 5 lts in TB42 safe for a flush only ????.
:blowup::blowup::blowup:

NissanGQ4.2
9th August 2013, 09:06 PM
Don't know mate, I would fill it until it reaches the min line on the dipstick

menace 2
9th August 2013, 10:43 PM
Are you also going to sacrifice a filter Robo ?...TB42 holds just over 8 ltrs with the filter...5 ltrs may be a bit short...x2 with GQ42..re: the min.mark on the dipstick

Bloodyaussie
9th August 2013, 10:46 PM
If you wanted to flush it I would get some coles oil or something cheap fill it to the top and run it for a short amount then drop....

Robo
9th August 2013, 11:43 PM
Takes around 7 lts to touch stick.
yeah filter gone afterwards with the flush oil.
Mtr needs new spark plugs so firing tomorrow.
cheers

Col.T
10th August 2013, 07:42 PM
G'day Robbo,
reckon I'd go with the oil light. If you fire it up with 5l. and the oil light comes on/stays on then you'd need more for the flush. Add more and try again. Otherwise, go with the Bloody man and load up with cheap stuff.
Let's know if you blow it up.
Col

taslucas
10th August 2013, 08:24 PM
If you wanted to flush it I would get some coles oil or something cheap fill it to the top and run it for a short amount then drop....

Yep x2 with that. For only an extra few bucks to fill it right up you need not worry about anything else

Clunk
10th August 2013, 08:47 PM
Repco have another sale as of the 12th, $19.50 for 5L Castrol and oil filter.

Robo
11th August 2013, 09:52 PM
G'day Robbo,
reckon I'd go with the oil light. If you fire it up with 5l. and the oil light comes on/stays on then you'd need more for the flush. Add more and try again. Otherwise, go with the Bloody man and load up with cheap stuff.
Let's know if you blow it up.
Col

Gee wizz, your having a lend, right !!.
go with the oil light .
Struth, glad your not working on it.
and no it didn't blow up,
all well that ends well.

NissanGQ4.2
11th August 2013, 09:55 PM
How much oil did you need Robo for you to feel safe enough not 2 blow it up???

Robo
11th August 2013, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=NissanGQ4.2;409124]How much oil did you need Robo for you to feel safe enough not 2 blow it up???[/QUOTe.

I used 7.5 lts.
7 got just above the low add mark.
drove about 20 klm's around town no problem.
I also refilled the cooling system + rad flush so I drove the car for short period.
dumped oil and waited for engine to cool to flush cooling system also and then refilled that.
been busy, all done now touch wood.
cheers

Col.T
15th August 2013, 07:40 PM
Robo,
still reckon I'd go with the light.
NOT though if you fire it up and straight off head out for a 20 klik drive. Mr. Nissan fits an oil pressure sensor to tell you if you're level's low and over a few years and cars I've found it's a pretty good indicator of safety. In the situation and for the reason you quoted, fire it up and the oil light should go off after a few seconds. If it doesn't, shut down and add more. With a cool/cold engine running for that short a time, your chances of siezing are nil. Once the light says all's OK, warm it up.
Still, for the cost of 2.5l it's not much of an issue either way.
That coolant changing with flushing, if you're putting in a different additive, is a bit of a bummer too, isn't it.
Regards
Col.