PDA

View Full Version : Tyres For My Patrol

lostgirl
6th January 2011, 02:00 PM
Hey me again. I am researching some tyrs for later on to buy. At present I have Wranglers RT/S P265/75R16 tyres on the car. Now they are really not quiet good in wet weather and dont really stack up when in traffic. You feel like they skip a bit when you stop.

Prices so far have been about an average of $250- $360 a tyre. What would you recommend that would be great off road and on the road. ::confused:

Maxhead
6th January 2011, 02:17 PM
Hey LG, have a look at this thread. It might give you a bit of info on different tyre brands,etc.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tyre-Brands-amp-Feedback

tkn
27th January 2011, 03:22 PM
Also, have a look at MAXXIS tyres.

I'm running Bighorns and they have done about 30,000Km and look as though they might last 70 - 90,000.

Bigrig
27th January 2011, 05:15 PM
Also, have a look at MAXXIS tyres.

I'm running Bighorns and they have done about 30,000Km and look as though they might last 70 - 90,000.

I've got Mickey Thompsons (which I am very pleased with) but I must say I am more than interested in all the hype around currently about the bighorns ... everyone seems to be raving about them.

Maxhead
27th January 2011, 09:16 PM
I've got Mickey Thompsons (which I am very pleased with) but I must say I am more than interested in all the hype around currently about the bighorns ... everyone seems to be raving about them.

I've had the Buckshots on my Disco and they were good then when I got the Trol I wacked on a set of Buckshots and they're even better IMO. except the bloody noise on tar :(
but still very happy with performance:)

Bigrig
31st January 2011, 11:00 AM
I've had the Buckshots on my Disco and they were good then when I got the Trol I wacked on a set of Buckshots and they're even better IMO. except the bloody noise on tar :(
but still very happy with performance:)

Funny, saw a set of them on a patrol yesterday at Repco in Capalaba .. hadn't heard anything about them to be honest and figured they must be the "old version" of the bighorns, but obviously two separate offerings ...

Sir Roofy
31st January 2011, 01:11 PM
also, have a look at maxxis tyres.

I'm running bighorns and they have done about 30,000km and look as though they might last 70 - 90,000.

x2 i like the maxxis

Bob
31st January 2011, 01:25 PM
I run MAXIS 751 BRAVO RADIAL'S which I find to be great handling on the road . Not really suited to Mud and Rock but I get by

patch697
31st January 2011, 01:29 PM
My next set will be big horns, a bloody good Tyre for my country side & a lot of 4x4's have them on around here with glowing reports.

timbar
12th February 2011, 01:57 AM
i had coopers i got 250000 kms out of them but i found that they were slippery in the wet i now have kuhmo ventures i find them ok in the wet and alot cheaper than the coopers the coopers were $360 a tyre as compared to $220 for the kuhmo tyre with a slightly higher profile hope this helps

big_fletch
13th February 2011, 06:34 PM
I have several mates running the bighorns, and I must say they work extremely well.. They're both wrapped with them, the only reason I didn't purchase them is because I got bfg muds for the same price.. they are priced on the higher end but I would buy them again no worries, I am having a awesome run with these and they have walked over everything I have put in there path, they are also very good in the wet.. just my opinion

Fletcha

Dark 1
13th February 2011, 10:58 PM
Got the bighorns & love them so far. Very noisy on road & with the limited offroad use i have had i've been very impressed. Love the price to, got them through a dealer in brissie for $300 a tyre 285/75/16

Bigrig
14th February 2011, 09:41 AM
Got the bighorns & love them so far. Very noisy on road & with the limited offroad use i have had i've been very impressed. Love the price to, got them through a dealer in brissie for $300 a tyre 285/75/16

Good price mate!!

Sir Roofy
14th February 2011, 09:52 AM

wait till you get in some shale,rock i feel they are the bees knees can hear,m bite in

growler2058
21st February 2011, 07:36 PM
G'day lostgirl I was a coopers bloke (still am if it's the amber fluid) but am now a Mickey Thompson MTZ bloke. They just seem to be a great all round tyre, my better half has them on her prado as well, not sure if i'm allowed to mention the magazine that did a mud tyre comparison but if you google it you should be able to see the results. Really depends what the majority of your use is guna be. The MTZ is classified as a mud tyre but our experience is they have proven better on a wet road (grip wise) than the H/T that came with the Prado, the troll was my daily driver but now only sees weekend duty but still found them to be a great tyre on road and brilliant in the rough and dirty stuff

veeate
21st February 2011, 07:39 PM
im gonna give the big horns a go when it comes time to upgrade. heard plenty of good stuff about them

growler2058
21st February 2011, 08:06 PM
Whichever you choose, a good practice is to rotate your tyres every 5,000-10,000k's including your spare to give longer life to your investment. I'm also a strong believer in you get what you pay for.

Black Rock
12th March 2011, 11:06 AM
What would you recommend that would be great off road and on the road:

Pirelli Scorpion ATR - if is avabile :gday:

Super Safari
30th March 2011, 10:58 AM
Try our maxxiss sand types ! GREAT WEN ON 15 PSI :p

boggy2006
30th March 2011, 04:23 PM
x2 for Kuhmo ventures, much better on road than Cooper H/Ts and MUCH cheaper

TuffTD42
30th March 2011, 05:46 PM
Hey me again. I am researching some tyrs for later on to buy. At present I have Wranglers RT/S P265/75R16 tyres on the car. Now they are really not quiet good in wet weather and dont really stack up when in traffic. You feel like they skip a bit when you stop.

Prices so far have been about an average of $250- $360 a tyre. What would you recommend that would be great off road and on the road. ::confused:

I've had good year wranglers, BFG muddies km1's & maxxis bighorns. The wranglers were useless off road & staked easy. The BFG's were a fantastic tyre both on & off road, I have used them for the last 12 years & I got 120,000 klm's out of my last set. I went with the big horns this time due to price, Got them in 35's for $290ea compared to the KM2's at $413ea. The bighorns are also great off & on road. They are a little noisy but doesn't bother me. My mate just bought a set of KM2's in 35's for $360 ea & we tested them out last w/end & they lived up to our expectations. Did notice that they are very quiet on rd but they are new so see how they go once they have some wear. His gu use to wonder a bit on rd with his maxxis creepies once he fitted the KM2's it drove like a factory rig. Mine dose tend to tram a bit as well so I'm going to fit his km2's up & see if that fixes mine aswell. From our outing last week I think i'll be fitting km2's when the bighorns are worn. Out of the 2 off road I would score them evenly, on road The KM2's are in front due to the noise & the way his Gu now drives.