PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacer

surgio
9th August 2013, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, done a search on these and found mixed results. Has anyone actually had any problems when fitting these? I have a 2005 gu patrol leaf ute and have just discovered the shorter wheel track at the back. And hate it. At start I thought it was my tray just sticking out too far but now know its wheel track. Front is 1610 while rear is around 1510. 100mm difference so only wanted on the rear to save different offset rims at 'rotation' time doesn't have to make up 100mm but 50mm to 75mm would be awesome. Plan on sticking with genuine rims too. Thanks

liftlid
9th August 2013, 03:47 PM
Increasing the track width in the rear will increase your turning circle.

surgio
9th August 2013, 03:50 PM
Is that right. Wonder how that works. Do you use spacer liftlid?

liftlid
9th August 2013, 03:58 PM
I tried some when I put a gu ft axle in my gq to bring the back wheels closer to the ft. I was also using gu offset rims to bring the ft wheels inside the guards more, got some from snake racing, I was worried that it was more bolts to come loose and the difference in track width wasn't enough to worry about, you do need to get ones that suit your setup, hub or lug wheel centric though

mudnut
9th August 2013, 04:02 PM
I personally wouldn't use a spacer, as it may, (or may not, please someone correct me if I'm wrong) put a greater strain on the wheel studs. Having a slightly shorter rear track would be what the rally cars used to run, as it doesn't tend to "drive" the steering.

threedogs
9th August 2013, 04:18 PM
I knew the new V8 cruiser had different Track to suit the wide V8,
Appears all Patrols have wider front track compared to rear.
You live and learn

YNOT
9th August 2013, 04:25 PM
I knew the new V8 cruiser had different Track to suit the wide V8,
Appears all Patrols have wider front track compared to rear.
You live and learn

It's the rear leaf sprung utes that have the narrower rear track, same as leaf sprung Landcruiser ute has narrower rear track. I believe they are made that way as there is a limit to how far the wheels can be out from where the axle is supported by the leaf spring, or something like that?

Coil spring Patrol utes and wagons have very similar front and rear track, GU track is about 40mm wider than GQ.

surgio
9th August 2013, 04:47 PM
There must be some reason, coil ute is almost same front and back where leaf, 100mm difference. Then I learn coils have rear disc brakes not drums. Ah we'll. so do you think if i got 1.5 inch spacers for each side, it would be a drama? Or just put up with the crab walk of 100mm difference. Just looks silly that's all

surgio
9th August 2013, 04:49 PM
Surely it can't be as bad a 35 inch tires on big offset rims. Just going to use 33"

surgio
9th August 2013, 05:59 PM
Rang superior engineering, they said there illegal but they sell about 5 pairs a day. Come in 1.5", 2" and 3". Thinking 1.5". Anyone have them fitted?

Woof
9th August 2013, 07:32 PM
Rang superior engineering, they said there illegal but they sell about 5 pairs a day. Come in 1.5", 2" and 3". Thinking 1.5". Anyone have them fitted?

Yes they are illegal, not worth the risk I think

surgio
9th August 2013, 07:33 PM
Risk of what? Being caught with them or something going wrong?

happygu
9th August 2013, 07:35 PM
Surgio,

They aren't legal, so you do take a risk using them......but then again, there are lots of vehicles that aren't legal.

Mic

outback
9th August 2013, 09:42 PM
Risk of what? Being caught with them or something going wrong?

Possibly both. Then there could be the BIG $ issue associated with either.

Parksy
9th August 2013, 11:18 PM
Not worth it, costs money, your bearings will hate you, it's illegal, it isn't as strong and you risk loosing a wheel or two. If the only pro is that you want the front and back even, then it's just not worth it.

surgio
10th August 2013, 04:50 PM
Yea, that's about it. Thanks guys

threedogs
10th August 2013, 04:59 PM
going by my max Ellery manual all wagons are different track front to back,.

Have heard some will put them on all around just a week end but Not sure its worth the effort

YNOT
10th August 2013, 05:01 PM
going by my max Ellery manual all wagons are different track front to back,.

The difference is much greater on leaf sprung utes.

surgio
10th August 2013, 08:44 PM
I was looking at leaving them on, just thought it would be the same sort of strain as 35's on a big offset

Clunk
10th August 2013, 08:48 PM
I was looking at leaving them on, just thought it would be the same sort of strain as 35's on a big offset

more than likely

surgio
10th August 2013, 08:57 PM
Have been reading into them, only bad things is things that have happened to mates mates cars. I did read a good article about the extensive testing of an American brand spacers and they were " over engineered " and they claim that there wasn't much more stress on the bearings. As long as fitted properly with right torque.