PDA

View Full Version : GU Wagon front end issue - Not your typical Shake

smoke
7th August 2013, 04:27 PM
I'm chasing an issue with my front end.
I only recently bought the car but it had the typical shake bigtime, so we basically went right over it as everything was pretty much stuffed.
So far whats been done is - Panhard rod bushes, swivel hub seals, wheel/knuckle bearings, re-tightened wheel bearings after being worn in, tie rods, offset radius arm bushes (already had a 2 inch lift, not sure of age) and I also fitted brand new wheels/tyres as the old ones were absolutely stuffed!
The shakes have gone. THANK GOD, as it cost close to 2k although I want a solid reliable patrol hence why I spent the money fixing it.

BUT!! It jiggles over bumps, as if the front is somewhat loose somewhere. Not sure where to look but I'm running out of ideas. At this stage I'd pay a suspension place to look at but I'm not sure even they would be able to find it.

Any ideas?
I'd love to solve this mystery that is plaguing my vehicle!!

threedogs
7th August 2013, 04:41 PM
Tyre pressures and shocks that's where I'd be looking first

boots
7th August 2013, 04:50 PM
Double check your radius arm bush bolts are real tight .

smoke
7th August 2013, 05:36 PM
Tyre pressures and shocks that's where I'd be looking first

tyre pressures dont make a difference, i had it on the beach around 18PSI all weekend, and put them back up to 36PSI on the trip home, they were on 40 earlier in the week as I'm trying to eliminate everything. Shocks are the ones that came with the lift, TJM ones. They look old enough for me to want to swap them out so I might give that a go.

Boots - The radius arm bolts are all SUPER TIGHT.

happygu
7th August 2013, 06:20 PM
If everything else was that bad, I'd try replacing the shocks as your first port of call, and then see if that changes anything....

Mic

boots
7th August 2013, 06:48 PM
Steering dampener ?

MudRunnerTD
7th August 2013, 07:00 PM
Hey bud please put up an Introduction thread thanks before asking further questions. We like people to say g'day when they join the forum. Good on you.

If t is flighty then your caster is all wrong. You really should not have needed offset caster bushes in the car with a 2" lift? certainly not into a car with an OLD 2" lift!

Flightly steering is Over Steer and is caused by incorrect Caster setup or neutral Toe. take it back to the wheel aligner for a recheck. if no joy then take it to a different aligner and ask them to check it. either your Toe in is too neutral or your caster is wrong IMO.

Morton
7th August 2013, 09:16 PM
steering dampner, try toughdog or OME, put new shocks in the front & this will get rid of that bump wobble, this is the indicator that my dampner needs replacing, flogged out 4 of them now in 7 years on my GU, my next one is Toughdog, worked extremely well in my GQ for 4 years, still going strong when I sold it a Cpl of months ago

smoke
7th August 2013, 09:23 PM
You really should not have needed offset caster bushes in the car with a 2" lift? certainly not into a car with an OLD 2" lift!

I'm thinking it may actually be a 3 inch, I have not actually measured it to see, but I do wanna lift it higher in the future. I have a set of brand new standard 70 series landcruiser shocks which appear to be the same regarding mounting. Would that be enough just to swap around and see the behavior or would that be a waste of time?

It's had 2 wheel alignments, felt the same both times. Any recommendations in Brisbane?

Steering dampener is a RAW one that came with the car. That actually didnt even cross my mind.