PDA

View Full Version : Grade 70 drag chain

threedogs
7th August 2013, 09:01 AM
Back again TOTAL TOOLS are selling grade 70 lashing chain .
8mmx 9mtrs long with a link lock hook on each end for $49.95.
Very handy around camp for snigging fallen logs for firewood
stump removal and vehicle recovery. Worth getting one for the camp/recovery box IMO
sale ends 31 of August

Comes in plastic tool box

megatexture
7th August 2013, 06:56 PM
Not got one yet but have been meaning to, what's the grade 70 category referring as I don't see any other brands advertising a grade on them.

nissannewby
7th August 2013, 07:49 PM
Grade 70 is only for transport. It's what they use for tying loads onto semis etc.

liftlid
7th August 2013, 08:27 PM
Whilst a drag chain is a handy thing, I've found for the amount of times you need to use it, it's heavy and bulky to lug around unless you can leave it in camper for firewood collection, there are other things you use for recoveries to strap your car to a tree when needed.

Winnie
7th August 2013, 08:31 PM
I would only use a drag chain when getting firewood, which is pretty often.

Got sick of Motorculture so gone back to Tappa

liftlid
7th August 2013, 08:35 PM
They are great to adjust length of winch line when you have extra straps attached and to attach the rear of your truck to a tree when recovering somebody else but that's rare and they are heavy to carry for a just in case

macca86
7th August 2013, 11:32 PM
I've had to replace my snatch strap from damage as I used it for firewood collection if I had this problem solved. Might get some.

threedogs
8th August 2013, 08:18 AM
I store my chain in a piece of 4" PVC pipe about one foot long with a screw top lid.
easy to store and takes up no room. You'll need Herc-alloy chain for recovery
usually stamped with a bear every link from memory,
I only use mine mainly for collecting firewood for camp, very handy piece of kit.

Old broken straps can be re stitched and used for collecting wood
as well, but never re use as a recovery item

Cuppa
8th August 2013, 04:58 PM
Normally around $80.
I bought one from Total Tools this arvo & only plan on using it for dragging timber etc around.
Total Tools blokes were surprised I knew about the special offer, as they didn't think it was advertised yet, telling me the offer isn't supposed to start until 12th August (until 31st), but let me have it at the special offer price anyway. It was the only one they had on their shelf.

Thanks for the heads up TD.

GQ TANK
8th August 2013, 08:52 PM
Also handy if you need to use your highlift as a winch - as nylon strap stretch a little bit - a chain wont

liftlid
9th August 2013, 03:33 PM
Wouldn't own a high lift find them a little bit dangerous and not very practical so I've only seen winching done on DVD with one.

threedogs
9th August 2013, 03:40 PM
Don't call them widow makers for nothing, just need to know
what your doing and always leave handle in the up position.
but handy to have

liftlid
9th August 2013, 03:43 PM
Don't call them widow makers for nothing, just need to know
what your doing and always leave handle in the up position.
but handy to have

Yes handy if you want to pull out a tree stump!!
I've got some old VHS footage of one of my cars falling off one that I will look for and post