PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Dark Knight
7th August 2013, 08:23 AM
Hi guys

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but do GU diesels 'need' two batteries. I've just bought one, it has two batteries under the bonnet and a TJM dual battery 'system', but I just wanted to make sure before buying a deep cycle one, that I don't need two 12V batteries to start the diesel beast.....

threedogs
7th August 2013, 08:28 AM
No you only need one battery to start it, the second battery
is an Aux one for running a fridge, winch, camp lighting etc
Priority will be given to the main start battery before charging the Aux battery,
great accessory to have , try to leave your start battery for just starting,
and any accessories you need to run use your Aux battery.

rkinsey
7th August 2013, 09:48 AM
Only if its a 24v unit. (2x 12v batteries) but Im not sure if there are any 24v GU patrols. I know they made a 24V GQ.

threedogs
7th August 2013, 03:10 PM
I think only the Import Highroof were 24volts.
Called safari I think, ppl please correct if wrong

Winnie
7th August 2013, 03:40 PM
I think only the Import Highroof were 24volts.
Called safari I think, ppl please correct if wrong

True but not all are high roof, my cousin has a 24V Safari shorty. Not the issue here though.

Motorculture... Let's try this again!

Steve4wdin
7th August 2013, 03:47 PM
Priority will be given to the main start battery before charging the Aux battery,

I agree with Threedogs except for winch. I believe they should run off cranking battery. Motor should always run when winching. Shoot me down if I am wrong please.
Steve

threedogs
7th August 2013, 03:59 PM
Nah you're right CCA are a winches friend , so again its down to the way you set your 4x4 up as a straight out weekend warrior
or a touring set up with the occasional need for winching and you're right in what you say. Its hard to have both , for eg I would have more use from a deep cycle atm
where as other would use CCA battery more. Think most would fit a deep cycle to run a fridge though.

taslucas
7th August 2013, 04:08 PM

Nah you're right CCA are a winches friend , so again its down to the way you set your 4x4 up as a straight out weekend warrior
or a touring set up with the occasional need for winching and you're right in what you say. Its hard to have both , for eg I would have more use from a deep cycle atm
where as other would use CCA battery more. Think most would fit a deep cycle to run a fridge though.

So would you suggest running a winch off your second battery or not??

threedogs
7th August 2013, 04:28 PM
Most do use a deep cycle for winching though not ideal , Triple batteries with 2 dedicated CCA
for winching and a deep cycle for fridge would probably be ideal but not for everyone.

Mine is set up with a 115AH AUX deep cycle, But my winch is rarely used lately

Its just the way we set up here in Aust.

Steve4wdin
7th August 2013, 04:51 PM
The way I understand the set up procedure is, Cranking battery is for starting engine and winching purposes only. Aux battery is preferably a deep cycle type to run and handle anything that will be likely to run when engine is off. In my opinion winching off a aux battery is asking for trouble. Isolation / dual battery setups will charge cranking battery first before aux battery. Imagine trying to winch up a long hill in the middle of the night running winch off aux battery and only getting half way up? Or have been camping for the weekend, not driving much and aux battery is just about flat from all the gear and you need to winch???.
Sorry to have over run this post guys....

Woof
7th August 2013, 09:45 PM
Hi guys

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but do GU diesels 'need' two batteries. I've just bought one, it has two batteries under the bonnet and a TJM dual battery 'system', but I just wanted to make sure before buying a deep cycle one, that I don't need two 12V batteries to start the diesel beast.....

Mate there is no such thing as a stupid question here, we all are learning every day from each other, that whats makes our forum one of a kind

Dark Knight
8th August 2013, 01:55 PM
Awesome thanks for the reply guys. So next question is I assume the plug in the boot is wired up to the main (starter), so I'd need to change the wiring (to wire it to secondary) to use it with a WAECO? Or does a WAECO run straight to the battery itself?

I haven't bought a fridge yet, but in the market.... :-)

threedogs
8th August 2013, 02:49 PM
Is your rear panel like this,
to power this panel power comes off my Aux battery
You would want your fridge to be powered by the AUX battery
otherwise you will flatten the start battery

Steve4wdin
8th August 2013, 02:58 PM
I would not try run a fridge of that plug. The wires are to small a gauge for a fridge and yes that plug is wired to main battery. It is only really good for maybe LED lights etc.

Mtiehatten
6th September 2013, 03:04 AM
Letting the motor run while using the winch might be a good idea, but not always possible (e.g. unexpected deep mud). I would therefore not connect the winch to the same battery, to ensure it is possible to start the engine when out of trouble.

Sir Roofy
6th September 2013, 07:38 AM
letting the motor run while using the winch might be a good idea, but not always possible (e.g. Unexpected deep mud). I would therefore not connect the winch to the same battery, to ensure it is possible to start the engine when out of trouble.

common sence plays a big part in 4x4ing stop and get out and check the depth of any creek, river, bog that your not sure of
as said its not wise to winch of the aux battery and if your stuck that bad and deep you,l most likely burn the winch out
or your battery will flatten very quickly,i always use the crank battery for the winch with the motor running

threedogs
6th September 2013, 07:47 AM
@ Steve I don't run my Engel from that panel only some camp lights if that.
My Engel is hard wired direct to the AUX battery via a thermal cut out switch.
It goes through a carling style switch on centre console to a 50amp Anderson plug.