PDA

View Full Version : ballarat

tassie wombat
6th August 2013, 09:24 PM
gday, any members from ballarat area ?? driving over to ballarat Saturday week for 2 weeks,and was just looking for ideas on things to see or do,got a couple of things in mind, sovereign hill, kryal castle and the eerie ghost tours,thanks in advance.

happygu
6th August 2013, 09:48 PM
Not from Ballarat per se, but there is heaps to do in the area, from visiting the Hepburn Springs area, Creswick, Daylesford, the night show at Sovereign Hill ( Blood on the Southern Cross ), Lake Wendouree, Tram Museum, a trip around the hills or even wheeling in the Forests nearby....further afield takes you to Castlemaine, Trentham, Blackwood, and the tracks in between,,,,

Mic

tassie wombat
6th August 2013, 10:18 PM
cheers Mic,the town we are staying in is Creswick(some forest resort ),i see your from Melbourne,whats the driving like there,ive heard some pretty bad stories,ive only drove through there once which was last year when I drove the patrol from Townsville back to Tassie,but pretty much drove straight to the boat. Dave

GQ TANK
6th August 2013, 11:43 PM
I believe kyrals closed

There's a wild life park in Ballarat that's ok.

Sovereign hill is great - they used to do a light and sound show - its pretty good.

Hepburn springs is not far - the missus would like the massages etc that you can get at the springs

The ghost tour is supposed to be great

tassie wombat
7th August 2013, 06:55 AM
I believe kyrals closed

There's a wild life park in Ballarat that's ok.

Sovereign hill is great - they used to do a light and sound show - its pretty good.

Hepburn springs is not far - the missus would like the massages etc that you can get at the springs

The ghost tour is supposed to be great
Pretty sure it reopened at the start of the year,a bloke I went to school with is one of the jousters there.

tassie wombat
17th August 2013, 08:08 AM
The day had come,on the boat today,any tips for driving through Melbourne tomorrow? having thoughts on trying to get to the queen Vic' market for a look? And feel free to pull me over if you pass me on the road,always up for a chat !

happygu
17th August 2013, 09:59 AM
cheers Mic,the town we are staying in is Creswick(some forest resort ),i see your from Melbourne,whats the driving like there,ive heard some pretty bad stories,ive only drove through there once which was last year when I drove the patrol from Townsville back to Tassie,but pretty much drove straight to the boat. Dave

If you are staying at the Forest Resort in Creswick, it is pretty good, especially if you want to play golf......

Melbourne drivers are pretty good now with speed cameras everywhere. Just watch your speeds and you will be fine.

Mic

tassie wombat
17th August 2013, 10:19 AM
If you are staying at the Forest Resort in Creswick, it is pretty good, especially if you want to play golf......

Melbourne drivers are pretty good now with speed cameras everywhere. Just watch your speeds and you will be fine.

Mic
Good onya mate,I did look at the golf course there,but their dress code and all fee's are a bit over the top,imo.!

graeme1969
17th August 2013, 10:29 AM
Gday Wombat. Could be a bumpy old trip coming up for you I think. Hopefully not too bad.

tassie wombat
17th August 2013, 12:33 PM
I was thinking that,forecast is up to 7mtr seas Sunday,so hopefully might just miss it,I'm hopeful anyway,I have been known to get a bit sea sick !

paulyg
17th August 2013, 06:08 PM
kryal castle is open and worth a look, plenty to do and see around here but I hope you got your winter gear its been very cold lately,
they have been filming a tv show in town could be interesting.

tassie wombat
18th August 2013, 09:33 PM
we made it!!! was a bit bumpy coming over last night.managed to get to the queen vic' markets this morning,even though the bloody gps was having trouble tracking the satellite (because of the tall buildings maybe???) and then had a pretty good drive up to ballarat.going to check out the local 4x4 shops tomorrow,i have even spotted a 4x4 wreckers up here as well,might duck in there as well!!

happygu
18th August 2013, 09:37 PM
we made it!!! was a bit bumpy coming over last night.managed to get to the queen vic' markets this morning,even though the bloody gps was having trouble tracking the satellite (because of the tall buildings maybe???) and then had a pretty good drive up to ballarat.going to check out the local 4x4 shops tomorrow,i have even spotted a 4x4 wreckers up here as well,might duck in there as well!!

Hope you had a cabin with beds if it was that bumpy coming across. I don't think it would be great trying to sleep in the seats.

tassie wombat
18th August 2013, 10:10 PM
Yep had a cabin,got Bugger all sleep though !

pearcey
18th August 2013, 10:20 PM
Good to see you made it without getting your feet wet.
Were the swells as big a the forecast an if so how did the ship ride
Reason for asking we are heading to Tas in a couple of weeks for three months and the missus does get a bit funny in rough seas.
Was it a short choppy sea or just a big rolling swell.
Hope you enjoy your self on the big island

tassie wombat
19th August 2013, 07:40 AM
The boat rode pretty good mate,not sure what size the seas got to though,definetly get a cabin though,I couldn't imagin sitting in a deck chair! Just pop a couple of travacalm pills half hour before sailing and there shouldn't be any probs'.if your down my mate your welcome to call in for a chat/beer or if you need tool to service your car etc.cheers, Dave.

pearcey
19th August 2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks Dave
Will be down your way some time as we have plenty of time(well maybe) will possibly take 4 to5 weeks to do the east coast .
Have to spend a week or two in Hobart at the in-laws then down to Cockle Creek for a few days then slowly head north and to the west as the weather gets warmer
Hope to catch up
Pearcey

tassie wombat
23rd August 2013, 09:28 PM
Took the missus and kids for a drive to glenrowan today,had a good time.,coming home this arvo,got detoured by Seymour,bad crash from what I heard on the news.havnt seen many patrols getting around,don't you fellas like driving them when its wet ? Just kidding!

jack
23rd August 2013, 09:47 PM
Hi TW,

Just saw this thread as I've had limited connection. Lots to do in Ballarat, as mentioned Kryal Castle (reopened), Sovereign Hill, wildlife park etc. Art gallery is worth a look and Creswick was the home of the famous Lindsay family, lots of their paintings in the gallery. Ballarat is an old gold mining city and has some historic buildings. Not sure what you're looking to do there but plenty of nice areas within a few hours drive.
I'm in Cairns at the moment and won't be back down for a few weeks yet, apparently it's pretty cold and wet at the moment but being from Tas you would be used to that.
Enjoy the trip.

tassie wombat
23rd August 2013, 10:16 PM
Gday mate,yeah weather is pretty crap at the moment,apparently its worse here than back home,but still having a good time.have done a bit of driving since we set off,about 1500 kms so far,had a trip back down near Melbourne on Monday to a suburb called Brooklyn I think? To niss 4x4 wreckers,heaps of stuff there! Also called past all the 4x4 shops in the area ,all very friendly,except 1 anyway! Tuesday drove to dayrlsford for a look,then kept driving to maldon,then to castlemaine,and ended up going through to Bendigo ! Wednesday went to the creswick woolen mill and brought a possum beanie ( bloody warm,but it would want to be for $60 !) Then went for a game of golf at the gold rush mini golf,had a look at the mill market and also checked out the gift shop near them both as well.Thursday didn't do much,took the boy shopping for his 5th birthday and then took him to hogs breath for tea,very friendly staff there ! Tommorow heading into aldi first up to pick up some of there seat covers and deep floor mats,then heading to kyral castle for the rest of the day.cheers,wombat.

tassie wombat
24th August 2013, 06:08 PM
Had a life changing experience this morning,went to aldi's on a sale day,I was there about 15 mins before opening and there was already 7 or 8 people there,by 8.25 there were probably 50- 60 people there waiting and once the doors opened it was like the Bathurst 1000 ! I've never seen people move so fast !!! Brought a set of the seat covers,bit too small for the patrol seat base,but they will do.also got a set of the floor mats,not too bad for $20. We then spent the day at kyral castle,had a great day there,wouldn't mind going back for a second day.

NP99
25th August 2013, 07:43 AM
We spent the night in a room at Kyral. It was good walking around the grounds after it closed to the public! Ballan and Bacchus March are worth a coffee at too.

tassie wombat
28th August 2013, 09:52 PM
gday again,monday we went to sovereign hill for the day,had a ball!! ended up staying for dinner and the night show "blood on the southern cross" bloody expensive but was good though.Tuesday ended up going back to sovereign hill for a second day (got a second day pass free) spent a couple of hours panning in the creek,found a bit of gold,not enough to cover the price of a can of coke!!! definetly needed the 2 days to fully see all of the site and shows.didnt do much today,went and checked bcf,plenty of good stuff there,but being close to the end of the trip funds are getting rather low!!!at least the weather over the last 3 days has been beautiful, cheers.

pearcey
28th August 2013, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you had a good time mate and spent a bit on the mainland
What date are you heading back as we are on the boat(sorry ship) on the Sat the 31st heading down for a bit of Rand R

tassie wombat
28th August 2013, 11:19 PM
gday mate,we get on the boat/ship on friday night,pm sent

pearcey
29th August 2013, 12:01 AM
gday mate,we get on the boat/ship on friday night,pm sent

PM sent and we will try and catch up will give you a call as we are in no hurry to do any thing a meet up should be possible

tassie wombat
29th August 2013, 08:45 AM
Sounds good mate,you might bump into a friend of mine on the boat,he's coming over Friday and back home on Saturday,he's picking up his brand new gic camper trailer,he's driving a 60 series cruiser.