PDA

View Full Version : New to Nissan

MozzieWA
6th January 2011, 02:19 AM
Hi All
After years with a Troopie, looking to lay some $$ down for a 2006/7 DX Patrol 3.0L TD. Three to choose from (ex-AVIS rentals) Kms - 96k, 114k, 142k.

Is there anything I should be looking out for - engine, transmission, suspension???
Common faults to check?
(My Toyota mates talk about the 3.0L blowing-up / turbo problems.... is this with the old 3.0L or also the "common rail"??)... guess they don't want me moving to the "other side"! ;-)

Any suggestions to avoid a lemon.... much appreciated.
Mark WA

DX grunt
6th January 2011, 04:41 AM
G'day Mark

Welcome to the forum. Somebody here will be able to help. I've forgotten where the 3l thread is.

Where abouts in Perth are you?

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

YNOT
6th January 2011, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the forum Mark.

The "grenade" problems your mates talk of are the pre common rail DI motors. I still recommend fitting boost and pyro gauges to any turbo diesel.

There is nothing major I can suggest looking out for other than the usual wear and tear items. Check the dash panel top face for bubbling and the RH rear barn door (with the spare wheel on it) for cracking. Open the rear doors and look down the edge of it.

Other than that check the obvious things like log book service history, oil condition, corrosion and rust etc.

Tony

Maxhead
6th January 2011, 07:58 AM
Hey Mark, welcome mate.
Don't worry about any of these above models, they will serve you well. The common rail ones can be a little bit thirstier then the Di's for some reason.
As Tony mentioned check the usual or get a mechanic you trust to go over the car. Good luck with it mate.

Sir Roofy
6th January 2011, 08:52 AM
welcome aboard mark,look for or the usual things like rust,bog,oil leaks check log books and most importantly,testdrive and listen for the gremlins that maybe there
good luck,nothing like a good patrol

cheers roofy

AB
6th January 2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome to the forum Mark, don't worry about what your friends say they will just be jealous when you get your Patrol!

Dhuck
6th January 2011, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the world of real trucks. Good to see you have chosen superior machinery over that um...... I can't use the language I would like to use. Anyways welcome.

RED
6th January 2011, 10:17 AM
welcome mate you wount know yourself in a patrol

MQ MAD
6th January 2011, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard Mark

If in doubt with any 2nd hand car always get it independantly inspected
Never trust any car yard speel or even the RWC or safety certificates they come with
There are places in every state that can inspect any vehicle
These can range from full body inspections(even paint thickness if ya want)
To full mechanical tests (cooling system pressure tests ect)
Or both

MozzieWA
6th January 2011, 02:40 PM
Hi Ross
Hiding out in north Perth... but getting ready to travel, so need a good vehicle to do the Kms on tar and then disappear in to the bush whenever (and wherever) we feel like. Nothing worse than not exploring a track, 'cause you don't think you could make it back!

MozzieWA
6th January 2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks Ynot
I've seen the bubbling dash & mottled consoles on a few of the patrols.... was quite shocked that the trim seems so easy to sun damage. I know it's just cosmetic... but you'd have to look at it each time you get in the truck.

Thanks for the barn door tip, I'll add it to the check list!

MozzieWA
6th January 2011, 02:58 PM
Everyone, thanks for the Welcome :) And thanks for the Great Forum! Well laid out, easy to navigate and a TON of info.

Up till 4am this morning reading the posts and getting my Patrol fix! & trying to get out of the novice category!

One thing I can't find answer to... what is the pros & cons of the common rail ZD30DDTi over the non common rail??? ( The 2006 model I'm looking at has the silver engine cover, so I assume its the original ? ZD30DDTi ? - Whereas the 2 x 2007s are common rail.... & $5,000 more!!)

What to do?? 'Save' $5k.... and spend it on bull bar, snorkel, new tyres, cruise control etc.... or get the "better??" common rail engine???? (and still spend more on the above bits ;) )

Any thoughts
Thanks

wildgu6
6th January 2011, 06:39 PM
Hey Mark, Welcome aboard the Trol express,
Simply the best forum around. Heaps of handy information,
Great bunch of people with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Any Trol is a good Trol, but yer all of the above as the guys mention. Good luck buddy

Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

Woof
6th January 2011, 06:49 PM
Welcome Mark, enjoy the forum mate

Finly Owner
6th January 2011, 11:21 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Mark.

Being in the hire game, I can tell you that usually Auto Rental sell offs are for mainly three reasons.

1. Getting too high in k's
2. Were on lease and made more money than car was bought for
3. Needs work that is not econnomical for company, but is still quite repairable.

Hope this helps.

Tim

MozzieWA
7th January 2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks Tim
Will add your thoughts to the buying process.
Getting close to being a member of the Patrol Owners Club!

Woof
7th January 2011, 03:06 PM
Hey Mark speaking of clubs check this one out mate, bloody great club with even better members http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?73-Western-Patrol-Club-Inc

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 08:43 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. (sorry for the copy and paste introduction, but been away for over a week and a lot of catching up to do!!! LOL). As you've no doubt noticed, heaps of useful information, great people and a good laugh to be had on the forum so make the most of it and get amongst the conversations. Don't forget to throw a few happy snaps of the rig up in the members ride section - we never get bored of looking at them!!!

patch697
25th January 2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome on board & I hope you enjoy the forum.