PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 10W vs 15W Oil

Barry
6th August 2013, 06:26 PM
After a lot of reading it seems some people run 15W although Nissan strongly recommend a 10W oil.

I understand the oils need to be ACEA 83 or JASO DH1 certified and that CG oil must never be used. Also semi-synthetic oil is the way to go for the ZD30.

I have also read that 15W oils have made some people notice that the engine has a louder idle at startup and that the 15W could be too thick for the turbo, and once you change to the 15W oil even changing back to the 10W the noise can still be there.

Living in a colder climate near the snow in Victoria, I'm worried the 15W40 such as Delo 400 instead of a 10W40 such as Castrol Magnatec 10W40 could be too thick on startup for the turbo and the engine and maybe I would be better sticking with a 10W.

Buying Delo 400 in 20L drums works out cheaper, and I would be more inclined to do 5k oil changes. Also I'm aware Nissan now recommend 5k oil changes for "harsh use" and 10k for "normal use".

So would I be better of running 10W40 for 10k, 15W40 for 5k?

threedogs
6th August 2013, 06:33 PM
I'm in Melb and only just switched to Penrite 5-40 I've found that to make the idle quieter.
A few here use the DELO400 with good results

boots
7th August 2013, 04:43 PM
Hi Barry , from memory castrol magnatec diesel is not JasoDH1 . Castrol J max fits the bill though . I tried magnatec diesel in mine and the cold starts were teeth gritting to say the least .Now run delo 400 and am happy with it .

mudski
7th August 2013, 05:52 PM
Funny you say that boots. Its the total opposite in mine. Tried the delo, was noisier and the engine breathed a lot heavier through the catch can. Went back to Magnatec Diesel and all was good again.
Living in a colder climate I would just let it idle and warmer up a little longer. Besides, the 40 in the 15w/40 is the measurement used for the thickness of the oil, cold, the 15, is at operating temp. SO 10w40 or 15w40 there is no difference at start up. Just running temps...

Wish I could run RxSuper or Jmax in mine. I get that stuff cheap. 20L for less than 10L of Magnatec...

happygu
7th August 2013, 06:05 PM
You could use the Nissan Oil, which is recommended and is Semi-Synthetic....

Find somewhere where you can get it for a good price.

Not sure if I got a good price or not as I didn't have time to argue, but I bought some from Patrolapart for $10 a Litre ( 5 Litre Bottles ).

Mic

mudski
7th August 2013, 07:37 PM
I didn't think the Nissan oil was semi synthetic...$50 for 5L is a bit pricey, only by a bit, but when you take into consideration in Nissan and its semi-synthetic it works out o.k. Depending on how long you go between changes too...

paulyg
7th August 2013, 09:06 PM
I am using 15w50 Penrite in mine and haven't noticed any difference in the noise it makes at idle hot or cold.
If you look at the owners manual there is a chart showing what oils you can use depending on the temperature range expected before the next oil change, even 20w50 is good to -10 degrees.

mudski
7th August 2013, 09:43 PM
I am using 15w50 Penrite in mine and haven't noticed any difference in the noise it makes at idle hot or cold.
If you look at the owners manual there is a chart showing what oils you can use depending on the temperature range expected before the next oil change, even 20w50 is good to -10 degrees.
Yeah nah. Well, depending on the oil I suppose...But I don't think anyone would put 20w50 in their car if they live in sub zero temps... I wouldn't go by the owners manual too. If the car is around 12 years old like mine, the info in that book is a bit out of date. Oils have changed a lot since then. Oils you can use now probably would'nt be recommended in the owners manual...

paulyg
8th August 2013, 07:05 PM
I am not suggesting you use 20w50 oil, iam only saying that in our climate we can use a wide range of viscosity's, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the oil.

scotty83
8th August 2013, 07:14 PM
I'm in Melb and only just switched to Penrite 5-40 I've found that to make the idle quieter.
A few here use the DELO400 with good results

I also use the penrite 5w40 as I was concerned about the turbo issue you mentioned. I am in qld though and it probably over kill. Also found it turned over a little better.

ScottyB. Mobile

mudski
8th August 2013, 09:28 PM
I am not suggesting you use 20w50 oil, iam only saying that in our climate we can use a wide range of viscosity's, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the oil.
Yeah mate I see what you were saying. My response just came out the wrong way...

paulyg
9th August 2013, 06:59 PM
No Problem Mudski, but your post does raise an interesting question about changing oil technology, I wonder what oil Nissan recommend for the latest ZD30?