PDA

View Full Version : Wiring question

Gregsway
6th August 2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Guys sorry if this is to opened of a question but i thought i might as well ask.

I am removing my aftermarket alarm soon but while looking at it i noticed a wire that has been put in, as far as i can tell it is not part of the alarm but could be.

The wire comes out of my fuse box (front drivers side) just stuck in place under the fuse and down to the electric box thing/harness behind the kick panel on the driver side foot. The wire it goes to is white with grey lines.
it's spliced to the wire.
The fuse is rr rear blower

My question is - what would require someone to splice any wire to a fuse like that?
Is it to give it power? or what? or to bypass the fuse?

I can tell its a piss poor job as it's insulation taped badly and not soldered - looks like a home job, a professional could never leave it like that.

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2013, 01:28 PM
Yendor is your man mate. Can you post a pic?

Yendor
6th August 2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks Daz........lol.

I'm not sure what's mounted behind the driver side kick panel in a ZD30, can you post a photo.

Does your oil light in the dash work correctly? if you disconnect this wire does it still work correctly?

Gregsway
7th August 2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks Yendor just got her back today here is a pic - the orange wire is the wire in question.

The image is on its side - needs to flip 90deg clockwise

happygu
7th August 2013, 09:40 PM
That is pretty dodgy.

I presume that they have used this to supply power.

Pull the fuse out, and the wire will then fall out. Measure the wire to earth to see if it has power (12 V ) or has none.

Check the terminal on the same side of the fuse where the wire comes from to see if it has no power, or if they had basically stuck it in unfused.

Mic

Gregsway
8th August 2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks Mic - I have tried to do what you have suggested as far as i can tell the wire only has power when the fuse is plugged in. When i tested the terminal it was pushed into (left) without the fuse it had no power and therefore the orange wire had no power.

What do you think they are trying to achieve by doing this - providing power to something i ussume.. just realised there is power point in the back of the car - this might be what it's for? I will test.

threedogs
8th August 2013, 02:30 PM
Strange to grab power from there to run to the back of the Patrol,
But some ppl do weird stuff.

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2013, 02:49 PM
Wow!! Is there allot of accessories on the car? If not then to be honest I'd be removing that wire and anything that fails rewire into a designated slot.

Pretty dodgy! At least that got on the right side of the fuse! Never seen anyone stick a wire in there before!!!

YENDORRRRRR!!!! Check tis out mate!!! WTF!

Yendor
8th August 2013, 10:55 PM
They have done that to either bypass an electrical fault they weren't able to find or to possibly power an accessory.

I would disconnect the wire and see what/if anything doesn't work.

happygu
9th August 2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks Mic - I have tried to do what you have suggested as far as i can tell the wire only has power when the fuse is plugged in. When i tested the terminal it was pushed into (left) without the fuse it had no power and therefore the orange wire had no power.

What do you think they are trying to achieve by doing this - providing power to something i ussume.. just realised there is power point in the back of the car - this might be what it's for? I will test.

Looks like they have done this to grab a power supply, as it isn't easy to find a power source under the dash....

Mic

megatexture
9th August 2013, 07:34 AM
Take 10 mins to run one though lol, that is dodgy ! I don't like to bum power off any stock supply unless its just switching a relay.

Gregsway
9th August 2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys - I am going to remove it, i thought it was for the rear 12v fridge plug, but my mate thinks that is standard... I also wasn't able to get any voltage from it.. I am no expert, infact new to the use of a multimeter. I could get readings from other cigarette sockets.. so not sure.

There are NO other accessories, only a 2 way i installed and I used another power source.

Thanks guys I thought it was dodgy and glad to see i wasn't wrong... I pray this was the guy doing it himself and there isn't an auto elec doing work like this...-- it has to be.

Gregsway
9th August 2013, 03:16 PM
OK found out what it supplies power to - the eletric windows!

There must be something up with the original wiring - any suggestion on how to re wire it properly? Surely there is a standard place to get the power from?

happygu
9th August 2013, 05:21 PM

There must be something up with the original wiring - any suggestion on how to re wire it properly? Surely there is a standard place to get the power from?

That shouldn't be the spot where the power windows come from ..... will check the service manual ....

Yendor
9th August 2013, 06:26 PM
There is a main 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet and a circuit breaker mounted near the relay in the LHS kick panel, inline with the bottom of the glovebox.

Also check fuse number 8 (7.5 amp fuse) in the fuse box inside the vehicle. The ignition needs to be turned on for the windows to work.

YNOT
9th August 2013, 09:32 PM

I don't know why your wiring has been bodgied up like that but have a very close look at the condition of your fuse box as per the photos in this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7075-GQ-intermittant-power-supply-fuse-box-problems&p=161712#post161712