PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Bars ARE Legal in QLD

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2013, 01:36 AM
Well i posted this in another thread but believe it should not get lost on the 3rd page of another thread. This is very important to all of us!

The Laws in QLD have changed and it is likely to be rolled out Nationally on that basis.

Here is the UPDATE

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20standards/Vehicle%20standards%20instructions/drivinglampsvehiclesguidelinemay13.pdf

Vehicle standards instruction (general 15.0)
Fitment and use of driving lamps including light emitting diode (LED) light bars on vehicles Released May 2013

The Department of Transport and Main Roads has recently dealt with a number of issues relating to the use of LED light bars, fitted to the front bumper bar or bull bar on some vehicles, as driving lamps. The main issue faced by vehicle operators is that when a light bar is used as a driving lamp on a vehicle manufactured from 1991, Australian Design Rule (ADR) 13/00 requires that either two or four lamps are fitted.

Transport and Main Roads is of the opinion that this ADR requirement was set before the introduction of LED type lamps and the requirement does not reflect this new technology.

To ensure national consistency, Transport and Main Roads raised this issue with the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board, who have endorsed a change to the ADR to allow an odd number of driving lamps to be fitted to vehicles. Until this update to the ADR is made, Transport and Main Roads has provided this Vehicle Standards Instruction for ADR vehicles and vehicles manufactured prior to 1991.

Requirements for the fitting fitment and use of driving lamps including Light Emitting Diode (LED) Light Bars on Vehicles, excluding motor bikes and motor trikes.

• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle.

• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre.

• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection.

• The lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off.

Note: This exemption from complying with a part of ADR13/00 only applies in Queensland and may not be recognised in other states or territories. Vehicle operators who travel between states and territories must ensure that lamps fitted to their vehicles comply with the requirements in each state or territory.

This Vehicle Standards Instruction (VSI) was originally issued as H25.0, but is now being re-issued as a General category VSI. VSI H25.0 is now repealed.

Further Information

For further information about the vehicle standards, please contact Vehicle Standards and Modification Advice on (07) 3114 5844 Monday to Friday, 10:00 am–4:30 pm.
Related Documents Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRUVSSR10.pdf

Australian Design Rule 13/00 Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L- Group Vehicles

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005L03991

BigRAWesty
6th August 2013, 06:13 AM
So much for national rules and regs hay.

daggy
6th August 2013, 07:42 AM
That's the way that legislation works. One state recognizes the problem and sets about rectifying it, the others look on and when it's seen to work will usually adopt it, ad in some cases will adopt the wording of the legislation as written. It all comes down to cost.
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
6th August 2013, 07:42 AM
So You are allowed to fit them ,????

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2013, 09:17 AM

It is unclear if they are aloud on the roof though ;). Interesting, they did not deal with that question there

04OFF
6th August 2013, 01:37 PM

Don't think so mate, same as you cant put spot lights up there ,i think it will breach the 1200mm max light height

You could use a black cover for road use and get away with it

AB
6th August 2013, 07:09 PM
Don't think so mate, same as you cant put spot lights up there ,i think it will breach the 1200mm max light height

You could use a black cover for road use and get away with it

Would we be able to get away with a cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

megatexture
6th August 2013, 07:15 PM
A copper flashed me so not knowing it was a cop I flashed back with my 3x 22" 5w dual row bars and 100w 240 light force and that's when I saw the signage and hi vis jackets they were wearing.. Then sirens and lights lol.
Apparently they were flashing my mate behind me who was having alternator issues and driving with his lights off, they just had a laugh and told him to turn on his lights.

I think it comes down to what mood the cops are in,how lazy they are by not wanting the paper work or they don't know the rules and regs. but I think 040FF is right the roof rack ones arent allowed

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2013, 07:44 PM
Hmmmm? It's interesting actually, I read this on another forum and a very valid point was made.

Dot point 1 says - "the Lamps SHOULD, as far as possible"

Dot point 2 says - "they MUST be fitted to the front"

In the Law "Should" and "Must" have completely different connotations and definitions.

"Should" = where possible or if possible and every effort.

"Must" = this is Not Negotiable

This is very interesting. I think the jury is out on a Light Bar on the roof? Well Any lights on the roof for that matter! I think the expectation long term has been that Roof Lights are for Off Road Use only. We have said put covers on them for years. Maybe there is a market for a clip on 42" light bar cover ;)

AB
6th August 2013, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm? It's interesting actually, I read this on another forum and a very valid point was made.

Dot point 1 says - "the Lamps SHOULD, as far as possible"

Dot point 2 says - "they MUST be fitted to the front"

In the Law "Should" and "Must" have completely different connotations and definitions.

"Should" = where possible or if possible and every effort.

"Must" = this is Not Negotiable

This is very interesting. I think the jury is out on a Light Bar on the roof? Well Any lights on the roof for that matter! I think the expectation long term has been that Roof Lights are for Off Road Use only. We have said put covers on them for years. Maybe there is a market for a clip on 42" light bar cover ;)

My brother has 4 small light bars on his roof rack (front and back) along with rear LED tail lights on the rear of roof rack too. I can't wait to tell him the good news coming our way soon!

megatexture
6th August 2013, 08:02 PM
Wasn't there some rule about no lights 300mm above head lights also .

They must have headaches all day changing rules to change them again and again

daggy
6th August 2013, 08:28 PM
To try and explain how to read legislation, you would need to read associated case law alongside it. How it was written and how it was meant to be interpreted will be subject to legal challenge. New legislation is always open to interpretation (by both the prosecution and defence). District and Supreme Court case law (decisions) are binding in all courts, decisions and interpretations by Magistrates (local) are not binding in any court, that includes other Magistrates courts. If you were to fight it all the way through the court system, ie all the way through to a higher court then it would become a binding decision. That said, if the powers that be don't like the way that the umpire ruled then there would be an amendment to that legislation and the process starts again.

To answer the question, can they be mounted above the roof line? You need to read between the lines and interpret it your way but be prepared to justify your position.

This is the way I understand the below points.

• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle. ( Front ie bulbar, not no the roof which is roughly centre of the vehicle)

• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre. (Front as above and in the middle)

• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection. (Open to interpretation as to driver discomfort, but any light mounted on the roof would have some degree of reflection)

By the way when I fit my LED light it will be on the roof.

04OFF
6th August 2013, 10:25 PM
Interesting.............

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991

7.3. DRIVING LAMPS
7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.

7.3.2. Number:

7.3.2.1. Two or four.

7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.

7.3.3. Arrangement

No individual specifications

7.3.4. Position

7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.

7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.

7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.

7.3.5. Geometric visibility

No individual specifications.

7.3.6. Orientation

Towards the front.

7.3.7. Electrical connections

The driving lamps must be able to be lighted only when the main-beam headlamps switch is in the “lamps on” position.

7.3.8. Tell tale: No requirement.

7.3.9. Others

The aggregate maximum intensity of the main-beam headlamps as specified in paragraph 6.1.9.1 of Appendix A can be exceeded with the fitment and illumination of driving lamps. Driving lamps do not have to comply with ADR 46/….

6. SUPPLEMENTARY GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

6.1. Additional lamps

6.1.1. In addition to the lamps specified in paragraph 5.16 of Appendix A, vehicles may be equipped with those lamps specified in part 7 of this rule.

6.1.2. Where the installation of equipment or accessories for operational reasons invalidates the compliance of lamps originally fitted in accordance with this vehicle standard, additional lamps must be fitted to maintain compliance.

6.1.3. Additional direction indicator, hazard warning, stop, parking, end outline marker, rear and front position lamps and rear, front and side retro reflectors may be fitted to satisfy specific safety and operational requirements. These additional lamps shall be fitted as close as possible to the maximum height of the vehicle.

6.1.4. Where additional lamps referred to in 6.1.3 above are fitted, the maximum height as specified in Appendix A for direction indicator lamps, stop lamps, parking lamps, end outline marker, rear and front position lamps and rear, front and side reflectors does not apply.

6.1.5. In addition to the main beam headlamps in paragraph 6.1 of Appendix A, a further two or four driving lamps may be installed as long as they comply with paragraph 7.3 of this rule.

04OFF
6th August 2013, 10:26 PM
Regulation No. 48

UNIFORM PROVISIONS CONCERNING THE APPROVAL OF VEHICLES WITH REGARD TO THE INSTALLATION OF LIGHTING AND LIGHT-SIGNALLING DEVICES

6.2. DIPPED-BEAM HEADLAMP6.2.1. Presence

Mandatory on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.

6.2.2. Number

Two.

6.2.3. Arrangement

No special requirement.

6.2.4. Position

6.2.4.1. In width: the edge of the apparent surface in the direction of the reference axis which is farthest from the vehicle's median longitudinal plane shall be not more than 400mm from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle. The inner edges of the apparent surfaces in the direction of the reference axes shall be not less than 600mm apart. This does not apply however, for M1 category vehicles; for all other categories of motor vehicles this distance may be reduced to 400mm where the overall width of the vehicle is less than 1,300mm.

6.2.4.2. In height: not less than 500mm and not more than 1,200mm above the ground. For category N3G (off-road) vehicles*/, the maximum height may be increased to 1,500mm.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991

04OFF
6th August 2013, 10:29 PM
Also......

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20standards/Vehicle%20standards%20instructions/drivinglampsvehiclesguidelinemay13.pdf

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2013, 11:14 PM
Also......

Yep that's the link in the first post ;)

04OFF
6th August 2013, 11:38 PM
Yep that's the link in the first post ;)

Can't have too many links (ha-ha)

I still wanted to add it again after, to make sure people knew light numbers have been revised to allow "odd" amounts, after this from my above post ...

7.3. DRIVING LAMPS7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.

7.3.2. Number:

7.3.2.1. Two or four.

7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.

I can put it in again if you like......

:fish:

LOL

04OFF
6th August 2013, 11:42 PM
A copper flashed me so not knowing it was a cop I flashed back with my 3x 22" 5w dual row bars and 100w 240 light force and that's when I saw the signage and hi vis jackets they were wearing.. Then sirens and lights lol.
Apparently they were flashing my mate behind me who was having alternator issues and driving with his lights off, they just had a laugh and told him to turn on his lights.

I think it comes down to what mood the cops are in,how lazy they are by not wanting the paper work or they don't know the rules and regs. but I think 040FF is right the roof rack ones arent allowed

Ha-ha mega, just spotted the lights in your Avatar/pic :D:D

Alitis007
6th August 2013, 11:52 PM
Great! Soon as its passed here in vic, vic rds will be sending me out some paper :)

megatexture
8th August 2013, 12:55 AM
Ha-ha mega, just spotted the lights in your Avatar/pic :D:D

They are my old lights all have been upgraded now lol