PDA

View Full Version : Light Switch rebuilt now only one high beam

flashman1207
4th August 2013, 08:08 PM
So, suddenly lost high beam last week on the GQ. No high on headlights, no spotties and no blue light on dash. Thought it might be the light switch stalk (again) so took it off and had a bit of a fiddle. Put it back and voila one of the headlight high beams works (passenger side) but still no spotties or high beam dash light. Surely the switch doesn't do left and right sides seperately does it?

Yes, I have check fuses and bulbs

CorbinsGUte
4th August 2013, 08:19 PM
Hey I had a problem like this on the gq I just bought. The left and right are on seperate terminals inside that black box, as are hi n lo beam, then the dimmer, which makes up the 5 tabs. My right side hi beam wasnt working I found one of those small tabs inside that box wasnt moving so I sprayed contact cleaner unside the indicator stalk control box thing and its all good now. Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Yendor
4th August 2013, 08:25 PM
So, suddenly lost high beam last week on the GQ. No high on headlights, no spotties and no blue light on dash. Thought it might be the light switch stalk (again) so took it off and had a bit of a fiddle. Put it back and voila one of the headlight high beams works (passenger side) but still no spotties or high beam dash light. Surely the switch doesn't do left and right sides seperately does it?

Yes, I have check fuses and bulbs

Yes it does.

The high beam warning light in the dash also works from the same headlight dipper switch contacts as the driver side high beam. Most people also wire their spotlights to work from the driver side high beam.

If you driver side low beam works then the problem is more then likely with your headlight dipper switch.

Time to replace the switch I think.

What size headlight bulbs are you running?

flashman1207
4th August 2013, 08:50 PM
Actually I don't know what bulbs they are. STandard Halogen ones I think. Should have checked when I had them out. Anyway I might pick up a new loom as well as its all a bit of a mess and put a relay in as well (if I can figure out how to wire it). Don't suppose anyone has a wiring diagram with a relay do they ??

Thanks for the help

MC97GQ
4th August 2013, 08:57 PM
Mate,

I rewired the whole show, put relays in for Lo, Hi and Spotties, the bloke before me had thrown high wattage bulbs in which had fried the H4 plugs, wiring and combo switch.

I took a feed from the left headlight that went to the relays, new high wattage H4 plugs, heavier gauge wiring and new combo switch and the lights are heaps better now.

Mark

flashman1207
5th August 2013, 01:19 PM
Mate,

I rewired the whole show, put relays in for Lo, Hi and Spotties, the bloke before me had thrown high wattage bulbs in which had fried the H4 plugs, wiring and combo switch.

I took a feed from the left headlight that went to the relays, new high wattage H4 plugs, heavier gauge wiring and new combo switch and the lights are heaps better now.

Mark

Thanks, gonna be an expensive month... Never gonna have enough for that turbo

Yendor
5th August 2013, 02:11 PM
Have a look on ebay, you should be able to pick up a cheap plug and play headlight wire harness that will come with relays.

If you then fit the harness so it picks up the triggers from the LHS headlight you shouldn't need to then have to replace the switch.

You will also need to change the trigger for your spotlights but that's not hard.