PDA

View Full Version : headlight buzzer replacement

tonym9643
4th August 2013, 03:59 PM
2003 Nissan patrol gu diesel turbo.

I stupidly have left my headlights on 2 occasions. I have a warning buzzer but this is not very loud. I'm thinking that I need to get a Louder buzzer .
Also my dashlights are not very bright. any suggestions for both would be great .

Help

Please

P4trol
4th August 2013, 04:44 PM
The headlight buzzer isn't hard. I'm assuming at one stage after GU1s were built, someone got a flat battery, and a headlight buzzer was incorporated into the next series.

It is possible someone thought the buzzer was too loud, and has put a piece of tape across it. If so you can remove the tape, or relocate the buzzer closer to the driver, or put another louder one in.

Another option is to put in your own buzzer and leave the standard one in. All you need is a 12v piezo buzzer and a neat way to secure it with some neat wiring.

The trick is in the wiring. Double check the wiring before making it permanent.

1. Find the headlight fuse. Check you get 12v between this fuse and chassis earth.

2. Find the fuse of another circuit that has 12v across it when the ignition is on, but is 0v when the ignition is off.

Put the positive of the piezo on 1, and the negative on 2. Maybe just jam the wires in with the blade fuse to test. It helps if you know what circuit you are tapping in to. Otherwise make sure you start the vehicle, use lights, blinkers cb etc. To make sure there is no hidden surprises etc.

Once confirmed, wire in neatly (and test again).

Yendor
4th August 2013, 11:53 PM
Fuses for the GU headlights are in the fuse box under the bonnet and they have constant power, regardless if the headlight are on or not.

If you wan't to wire up a buzzer you can access the wiring harness around the steering column.

Some people find it easier to use the dash light feed at the cigarette lighter (for positive wire of buzzer) and the accessory feed at the cigarette lighter (for the negative of the buzzer).

Have you tried adjusting your dash light dimmer switch? You can replace your dash light bulbs with brighter LEDs.

mudski
5th August 2013, 09:52 AM
Where is the location of the buzzer anyway? As for the lights, as Yendor said, a few members have changed the globes to LED's, some have made up small led strip and it is stuck to the upper part of the dash facing the gauges and wired in so that they are on all the time. I actually got white facia's made up and put some blue LED's in. As with my car the dark window tint was making it impossible to see the dash even with the lights on during a bright day. Now with the white facia's I can see them easily.