PDA

View Full Version : Vic high country

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 03:11 PM
G'day,

Can anyone give me the names of some of the hard core tracks or hill climbs in the high country so I can look at them on YouTube please. I want to start psyching up for October.

Cheers
Benny

Hodge
4th August 2013, 03:20 PM
Some of the deep creek track climbs. From memory it's deep creek 4 that separates men from boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRoB8PcYBSA

Edit: They're around rawson area

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 03:27 PM
Some of the deep creek track climbs. From memory it's deep creek 4 that separates men from boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRoB8PcYBSA

Edit: They're around rawson area

Done that track a few times! Seen a Suzuki on its side right where he go stuck. Last time I was there I got just beyond there in the GQ before having to wi ch the last bit and swung off the winch cable with all wheels spinning.

Winnie
4th August 2013, 03:40 PM
Barkly river Jeep track was pretty hardcore imo.

Motorculture... Let's try this again!

Hodge
4th August 2013, 03:58 PM
Done that track a few times! Seen a Suzuki on its side right where he go stuck. Last time I was there I got just beyond there in the GQ before having to wi ch the last bit and swung off the winch cable with all wheels spinning.

Apparently, If there's any tracks where photos just do not do the angle of terrain, any justice. It's this one! Workmate of mine is a one of the more gung-ho blokes I know. Been all over the place in his GQ and ain't worried much about muchness. But even he at the bottom of deep creek 4, questioned, whether it's doable. If anything to me, that says it must me bloody steep!

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 04:54 PM
Is there any 'play' areas like old quarries or something

growler2058
4th August 2013, 04:57 PM
Is there any 'play' areas like old quarries or something

What.....scared now mate?? :)

threedogs
4th August 2013, 05:02 PM
We only drive on defined tracks down here, But the tracks are steep enough to keep you guessing.
mind blowing scenery, sheer drops. from the fire tower at the Pinnacles you can see Mt Hotham and Lakes Entrance
That's incredible in itself, Zeka spur, in the valley there are 22 river crossings in one go. Wonnongurra or Wongongarra area again awesome
this is seriously steep country you'll love it

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 05:08 PM
What.....scared now mate?? :)

HA... Not a chance. Dish it out I will have a go.

threedogs
4th August 2013, 05:11 PM
Might start selling pucker button clamps, hate getting out of the Patrol at say Woodspoint
after some driving and your seat covers follow you into the pub, lol

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 05:16 PM
Might start selling pucker button clamps, hate getting out of the Patrol at say Woodspoint
after some driving and your seat covers follow you into the pub, lol

You should jump in the passenger seat TD. Last passenger I had was macca86 an he had a little bit of wee come out lol

growler2058
4th August 2013, 05:20 PM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHhhahahhahahahahahhaa

AB
4th August 2013, 05:40 PM
Well show you a good time benny boy. Dazz will suss out some good places I'm sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 06:04 PM
I had a little wee come out on that track in the first link. Ya only get 1 go! Get it wrong and its all bad. Butterflies at the bottom.

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 06:09 PM
I did a night run last year following a Winch Challenge car that has done the OutBack Challenge. When he pulls up and says on the radio "Fark that! I'm not going down there" and his wife who is his Navi says " get some balls! Just bloody do it!" You know it will be fun!

threedogs
4th August 2013, 06:09 PM
Not trying unless a bit of wee comes out.
not the place to not have your wits about you,
you can come unstuck big time .Been up there
heaps of times and will again hopefully soon

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 06:12 PM
Got out of the car at 3am to walk a dark section into a feral river crossing, when I got back in the car my 7year old had woken up and said "hey dad! Where are we going" I said " into the gates of Hell mate" and we did!

FUN AS FAAARRKKKK!

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 06:40 PM
Thats the spirit

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 06:42 PM
I did a night run last year following a Winch Challenge car that has done the OutBack Challenge. When he pulls up and says on the radio "Fark that! I'm not going down there" and his wife who is his Navi says " get some balls! Just bloody do it!" You know it will be fun!
I will believe that when I see photos :thumbup:

Winnie
4th August 2013, 06:42 PM
Daz, would you try deep creek 4 in the GU?

Doin alright on MotorCulture

Hodge
4th August 2013, 07:21 PM
Was just talking to a mate who used to live in Mansfield and was a high country tracks regular. He said, if you're after steepest but not necessarily hardcore, the deddick trail is the place. Tracks there are smooth but ultra-steep.

Also, for what it's worth. The iconic tracks that used to be hard such as the billy goat bluff and blue rag are now graded and before closures, X-trails and foresters were seen up there where as before that, it used to be a cruiser and patrol country.

Winnie
4th August 2013, 07:22 PM
That what I like the sound of

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2013, 07:40 PM
Was just talking to a mate who used to live in Mansfield and was a high country tracks regular. He said, if you're after steepest but not necessarily hardcore, the deddick trail is the place. Tracks there are smooth but ultra-steep.

Also, for what it's worth. The iconic tracks that used to be hard such as the billy goat bluff and blue rag are now graded and before closures, X-trails and foresters were seen up there where as before that, it used to be a cruiser and patrol country.

I like steep and rock and ruts that will swallow an x trail :D

Drewboyaus
4th August 2013, 07:50 PM

Winnie,
You would probably drive it in the dry. In the wet, there is no way I'd be having a crack without lockers front and rear and even then.......
In the dry it's the psychological factor of looking at something that looks near vertical for 200m.
Mates of mine have got up there no probs in Prados.
On one of our trips around there with the Rangie club, we had a total nutcase South African drive it with a standard VX, 120 series Prado, no lift, highway biased AT tyres, traction control going ballistic. Forking nuts he was.....took three goes at it and on at least 2 of them had us all running for cover as it looked like he was coming back to see us on his side.......but he made it! So when anyone says a Prado is a shopping trolley, I know it to be BS.
I'll see if I can find the video of it and post it up.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Drewboyaus
4th August 2013, 07:56 PM
The word I have heard is that the hill climb at Deep Creek 4 has been bulldozed closed.
I'd be curious to know if anyone has been down there of late to confirm what I have heard.
Most of the tracks in that area are closed after the fires. The joint looks kinda like the moon.......

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 08:51 PM

Yeah probably not mate. Mid summer maybe but you can go around so probably not. It's a Heart in Mouth kinda track.

Bene I have a track log of the night drive from last year. You will have fun. Some intense stuff there. Off the grid stuff though.

I did the Dedik Trail 2 Christmases a go and was a wonderful drive with a couple of great river crossings. I did it in the GUIV with the family and it was a fair it easier than I expected. Great day trip though.

Drewboyaus
4th August 2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah probably not mate. Mid summer maybe but you can go around so probably not. It's a Heart in Mouth kinda track.

Bene I have a track log of the night drive from last year. You will have fun. Some intense stuff there. Off the grid stuff though.

I did the Dedik Trail 2 Christmases a go and was a wonderful drive with a couple of great river crossings. I did it in the GUIV with the family and it was a fair it easier than I expected. Great day trip though.

Daz,
Where are you thinking of basing the trip? I guess camp will need to be somewhere big enough to accommodate a fair few vehicles.

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 09:18 PM
Daz,
Where are you thinking of basing the trip? I guess camp will need to be somewhere big enough to accommodate a fair few vehicles.

Will need to give that some thought but when we did the night run last year we based at Kevingtons. There is a toilet, a river and a huge space.

A heap of options there.

Winnie
4th August 2013, 09:27 PM
I have camped at Picnic Point, Kevington. Huge area.

AB
4th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Blue rag Benny...not a hard track but must see and drive on if your down here

http://youtu.be/cSaMK7SqgGA

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 09:45 PM

Was graded last fire season.

taslucas
4th August 2013, 09:49 PM

Yeah ive been YouTubing the area and it looks very beautiful

Drewboyaus
4th August 2013, 09:55 PM
Was graded last fire season.

Nearly all in that area have been.......
In fact, the fires earlier this year seem to have increased the amount of tracks being graded across the high country.
It's a pain but I guess they will be back to their old selves in a year or two....

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 10:43 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHjivfzp7Q&feature=plcp

Here one for ya Bene. 5 minutes of daylight left.

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 10:50 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=t6eFpUkDDxs

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 10:55 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=VcmFHpZUZtY

Drewboyaus
4th August 2013, 11:12 PM
Far out man, what track were you on......when you could see it?

Hodge
5th August 2013, 07:53 AM
The word I have heard is that the hill climb at Deep Creek 4 has been bulldozed closed.
I'd be curious to know if anyone has been down there of late to confirm what I have heard.
Most of the tracks in that area are closed after the fires. The joint looks kinda like the moon.......

Id love to see a cat D9 going up or down deep Creek 4. Lol .

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Motorculture app

threedogs
5th August 2013, 08:06 AM
Couple of night drives would make it interesting