PDA

View Full Version : Belt Tensioner Fix..... I think

Remmy
4th August 2013, 11:28 AM
On a facebook page someone posted this and was wondering what others thought of the idea.. I think the only problem you could have is over tightening and overload the pressure on the bearings on the alt and ac...

comments?

Cheers

Remmy

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/1098233_10201008723672939_1333927657_n.jpg

mudski
4th August 2013, 07:01 PM
Using a micro v belt spring loaded tensioners are needed in this case. Going that way in the pic I would think the belt wouldn't last too long.

nissannewby
4th August 2013, 08:24 PM
Imagine it would be hard to get at too.

YNOT
4th August 2013, 09:20 PM
Properly adjusted I can't see it being a problem.

mudski
5th August 2013, 09:07 AM
Micro v belts are a lot more flexible than a standard v belt and also the distance around the pulleys it has to travel is a lot longer. A spring loaded tensioner is needed for these belts because of the distance the belt is traveling, the many straight sections between each pulley creates a lot of vibration and therefor using a spring loaded tensioner acts like a shock absorber for these vibrations, and also keeps the correct tension on the belt, not too much and not too little. You take this away and I would guess the belt would either just jump off the pulleys or destroy itself. Not to mention the stress put on all the other pulley brackets.

Morton
7th August 2013, 09:02 PM
Micro v belts are a lot more flexible than a standard v belt and also the distance around the pulleys it has to travel is a lot longer. A spring loaded tensioner is needed for these belts because of the distance the belt is traveling, the many straight sections between each pulley creates a lot of vibration and therefor using a spring loaded tensioner acts like a shock absorber for these vibrations, and also keeps the correct tension on the belt, not too much and not too little. You take this away and I would guess the belt would either just jump off the pulleys or destroy itself. Not to mention the stress put on all the other pulley brackets.

x 2 on this comment, it is a good thing to have in your kits for when the tensioner fails in the middle of no where