PDA

View Full Version : Gu bonnet scoop

Dave n xanths gu
3rd August 2013, 03:05 PM
Hey guys I've seen a few scoops that are bigger than std... Ive blocked up by grill with winch n control pack, spotties n light bar etc... Wanting to find out who where n how much if anyone has info on the big scoops... Also pics would be appreciatd... Cheers dave

Winnie
3rd August 2013, 03:14 PM
A. R. E. Intercoolers

Motorculture... Let's try this again!

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 03:31 PM
cost a few $$$$ up around the $600 mark, but in conjuction with a tigged intercooler you reap the true benefit of it.
plus they say it cools at a lower speed say 60kph instead of the OE one at maybe 80kph

Limmy
3rd August 2013, 05:29 PM
you reckon its possible to mod a wrx one to fit ? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/11.jpg

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 05:32 PM
Yes RLI has done it and looks trick too Could put one hell of an intercooler under it for sure'
might be pics of Pauls Patrol in Members ride
Check his Avatar

Limmy
3rd August 2013, 05:33 PM
Yes RLI has done it and looks trick too Could put one hell of an intercooler under it for sure'
might be pics of Pauls Patrol in Members ride

:hpfredgeorge1:

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 06:45 PM
RLI's is off a different model WRX I think , Could even go the wide Nissan Navara scoop?
Who knows the intercooler may fit as well

Stropp
3rd August 2013, 08:05 PM
Fairline fibreglass do the one RLI got, same as mine, they are $285 plus post I think. I got mine for $250 delivered brand new from a guy off the other forum who bought it and then sold his patrol, never fitted still in the original box.

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 08:10 PM
You got a Pic Stropp, as its wider do you need to cut bonnet or rubber flange etc
1/3 of the price I take it ,it's open underneath no vanes directing air to front of IC ??

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2013, 08:21 PM
Wrx onto a GQ looks sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Woodsta1704
3rd August 2013, 08:50 PM
Dave,

Is the question you are asking regarding air flow to the radiator due to all the items you have on the front bar restricting airflow? Or do you want more air flow to the intercooler?

Woody

threedogs
4th August 2013, 09:04 AM
Looking good MR,
@ dave x I take it your Patrol gets a little warm with all the accessories across the grill.
could try lifting the rear of the bonnet, Just silicon about 12mm of washers together and fit
under bonnet hinge,
What you have is an hot air block as it has no where to go. does this sound right

Limmy
4th August 2013, 11:30 AM
I want a couple of those Nissanpatrol.com.au stickers. where to get

threedogs
4th August 2013, 11:34 AM
Give taslucas a PM ,He's coming over soon

Stropp
4th August 2013, 05:42 PM
@TD here you go mate, it is just the scoop no splitter but its massive. That's my dining table.

Bloody thing won't turn over the right way but if you enlarge the pic it will turn over.

Dave n xanths gu
6th August 2013, 05:20 PM
Cheers for the help guys... Woody n three dogs I'm kinda lookin at more air everywhere... If it's pushin around the ic it's gotta drag out from around the engine n rad... (doesn't it????).... For 600 I will be doin it ASAP... Ic is already tigged... I'm runnin thermo on top of ic ATM... I will look at adjusting bonnet also... Any of u guys on here fab a spacer??? Better than me siliconing washers??? Cheers again....

threedogs
6th August 2013, 05:31 PM
Easy to silicon washers use a smaller bolt longer than what you want
add washers and a dab of silicon, then tighten bolt to hold till cured usually overnight.
I think you should look at the scoop that Stropp is using 1/3rd of the price but made for wider IC.
You will feel and see the difference if running gauges, EGTs more stable and a tad perkier down low.
My scoop is said to work at lower speeds say 60kph compared to 80 kph of the OE,
Not 100% sure of model but may be better running two thermo fans off a Falcon EA.
There must be a reason why you are getting warm especially this time of year?

Dave n xanths gu
6th August 2013, 08:05 PM
Not running warm n e more... New rad went in last month... I'm just interested in a bit of preventative maintenance... I wanna do everything possible to keep her cool... I will do the washers n silicone trick, I just like the idea of doing it properly the first time even if it costs... The scoop stropp is using, does it mount to factory fittings on bonnet??? Cheers or the help!!!

Stropp
6th August 2013, 10:21 PM
Not running warm n e more... New rad went in last month... I'm just interested in a bit of preventative maintenance... I wanna do everything possible to keep her cool... I will do the washers n silicone trick, I just like the idea of doing it properly the first time even if it costs... The scoop stropp is using, does it mount to factory fittings on bonnet??? Cheers or the help!!!

No mate the scoop comes with a pattern where you cut the bonnet and drill the holes to hold it down, I think you could just drill the holes to hold it down and not cut the bonnet if you are using the stock intercooler as it would have more pressure going through the small stock hole.

04OFF
6th August 2013, 10:40 PM
Thought this may be usefull ......

(Page 12 has info on legal requirements when fitting a bonnet scoop in QLD)

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP6_Section_LH_Body_and_Chassis_01Jan2011_v3.pdf

MEGOMONSTER
7th August 2013, 05:46 AM
Thought this may be usefull ......

(Page 12 has info on legal requirements when fitting a bonnet scoop in QLD)

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP6_Section_LH_Body_and_Chassis_01Jan2011_v3.pdf

Thanks, interesting read. Boring but interesting. Thanks.

04OFF
7th August 2013, 06:56 AM
Ha-ha, yes , but less boring than standing on the side of the road while a cop explains it all to you, after you did it all wrong ;)