PDA

View Full Version : What's better, Mitre Saw, Compound Mitre Saw, Slide Compound Saw or Table Saw

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 02:35 PM
Hi guys and girls

I know a few of you guys are builders / tradesmen so can anyone tell me what is better 2 buy, Mitre Saw, Compound Mitre Saw, Slide Compound Saw or Table Saw.

Going to build two wall partition soonish and also in the long term would like to redo our back deck

Cheers

Toddie

taslucas
3rd August 2013, 03:06 PM
I would say a compound saw would suit your purposes the best Todd.

BigRAWesty
3rd August 2013, 03:12 PM
Yep compound saw.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys

So no real benefit in getting a slide one?

outback
3rd August 2013, 03:23 PM
Hum!!! Seriously I would go for the slide compound saw.
As a furniture builder I would be stuck with a basic compound saw, they are just not that versatile.

outback
3rd August 2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys

There is. When you cut the timber the slide helps with a cleaner cut and add to its reach. Also make sure the blade is not small. Need at least an 8" blade for what you suggest. The small blades are nice but they have limits.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 03:28 PM
As a furniture builder I would be stuck with a basic compound saw, they are just not that versatile.

Any brands to stay away from outback, I was looking at either Bosch or Makita.

Its not something that is going 2 be used everyday so I know a cheaper brand will probably still do the job, but I wouldn't mind doing some photo frames and other woodworking later on so also want it to last a while

Cheers

Todd

taslucas
3rd August 2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys

Yeah sorry I only read one compound saw. Yeah definitely go the sliding compound (that's what I had un mind when I said compound).

You cant go wrong with Makita

taslucas
3rd August 2013, 03:40 PM
The trouble with the cheaper ones isn't them lasting a long time, it's how precise they are. A cheaper one may not be exact in its angles etc. 1 degree out for a 45 degree cut wont make too much difference if building a deck but will make a lot of difference if your trying to do more precise cuts for picture frames etc in the future

outback
3rd August 2013, 03:41 PM
Bosch or Makita, both made in China anyway. I would go for the Makita but it depends on the price. Also if you decide to do that picture frame work you want some fine teeth lots of them on the blade. With out checking I run about 60 teeth on my fine blades.
Also remember even if you run carbide tip teeth they will get blunt on hard timber.
Also if you get a nice blade for aluminium you can make some nice stuff out of Capral's Qubelok Extrusions.

outback
3rd August 2013, 03:43 PM
The trouble with the cheaper ones isn't them lasting a long time, it's how precise they are. A cheaper one may not be exact in its angles etc. 1 degree out for a 45 degree cut wont make too much difference if building a deck but will make a lot of difference if your trying to do more precise cuts for picture frames etc in the future

What ever you buy check the display model for shaft flex. This is the nasty bit that will throw the cut out for the precise work.

growler2058
3rd August 2013, 03:45 PM
DOn't BuY ANY CHEAP CRAP

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 03:54 PM
DOn't BuY ANY CHEAP CRAP

Is this cheap crap???? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1A6hW4ltA8

Ben-e-boy
3rd August 2013, 04:07 PM
A junior hacksaw will be best for you :p

growler2058
3rd August 2013, 04:15 PM
These are noice http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/festool-kapex-ks-120-slide-compound-mitre-saw-561288.html?gdftrk=gdfV26854_a_7c442_a_7c1200_a_7c 61938&gclid=CO7HgpDJ4LgCFcgbpQodqG0AQg

growler2058
3rd August 2013, 04:17 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9f6ZSJDAWZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

growler2058
3rd August 2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6ZSJDAWZI

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2013, 04:19 PM
I have All of those tools and owned a Cabinet Making business for 10 years. In a Heart Beat a Sliding Compound Saw is the only one to get.

If you have the funds then a 12" will be better than a 10" and will happily cut your 100x100 posts.

A Makita or Hiatachi make a great unit and the higher end will allow you to service it and make the finite adjustments to your angles which will need adjustment over time.

The Makita will flip to the left and right for a 45 mitre and my Hiatachi will cut 45 in rotation one way and 55 rotation the other.

A table saw is not really needed for the home user to be honest when you can go to bunnings and they have a racked panel saw and charge $1 a cut!!

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6ZSJDAWZI

Wow! That's pretty! I like the laser. High end though! But nice! You'd want to be fixing out houses for a living though to justify the price!!

growler2058
3rd August 2013, 04:26 PM
Wow! That's pretty! I like the laser. High end though! But nice! You'd want to be fixing out houses for a living though to justify the price!!

Bit of overkill ya rekon mate? :)

Steve4wdin
3rd August 2013, 05:20 PM
I rebuilt my entire house and I used a bosch compound slide 10". It cost me around $300.00. The only thing I would suggest is make sure you get a double shaft saw. Laser lights are wank factor as they get dust on them and don't work. Unless you are going to be making furniture etc. a cheapy will do your needs fine.
Steve

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 05:54 PM
Bit of overkill ya rekon mate? :)

No such things as overkill *L*

Probable stick to Bosch or Markita as I should still be able to get a staff discount from when I use to work for a tool shop :)

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 05:55 PM
I rebuilt my entire house and I used a bosch compound slide 10". It cost me around $300.00. The only thing I would suggest is make sure you get a double shaft saw. Laser lights are wank factor as they get dust on them and don't work. Unless you are going to be making furniture etc. a cheapy will do your needs fine.
Steve

So when you coming around for a beer and a playing with my new compound slide??????

taslucas
3rd August 2013, 05:58 PM
So when you coming around for a beer and a playing with my new compound slide??????

Is that what you call it these days? Lmao

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 06:36 PM
Is that what you call it these days? Lmao

I thought you guys would twist my words into it meaning something dirty

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd August 2013, 07:04 PM
Mate as a builder I have a hitachi 10 inch sliding compound saw and love it! It is ten years old and still cuts as accurate as the day I bought it. They are about $850 new now (I paid $1095). Has a 300 draw, cuts 95 deep, 45 deg left, 55 deg right, saw leans over on both sides to 45 deg. One of the best tools I have ever bought. It gets used all the time and being belt driven places less strain on the motor because if the blade jambs the belt will slip and not ruin the motor.

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2013, 07:11 PM
Mate as a builder I have a hitachi 10 inch sliding compound saw and love it! It is ten years old and still cuts as accurate as the day I bought it. They are about $850 new now (I paid $1095). Has a 300 draw, cuts 95 deep, 45 deg left, 55 deg right, saw leans over on both sides to 45 deg. One of the best tools I have ever bought. It gets used all the time and being belt driven places less strain on the motor because if the blade jambs the belt will slip and not ruin the motor.

Yep I had 2 hiatachi 10" saws mounted into 4m cross cut benches and also a big dewalt. The Hiatachis would get used 6hours a day constantly and did a great job.

When I shut the business I sold one and kept one and now have a mobile bench I can mount it into which I rate highly too.

Can't go wrong. Great machine. I have had a good play with a Makita though and liked it allot.

Whatever you buy make sure it has 2 rails in the slide rather than a single slide shaft. I think logically they are better.

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2013, 07:18 PM
Regardless of which saw you buy it will fit into one of these and I highly recommend this if you"d prefer to stand and cut like me

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=160856528179

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd August 2013, 07:18 PM
Yep I had 2 hiatachi 10" saws mounted into 4m cross cut benches and also a big dewalt. The Hiatachis would get used 6hours a day constantly and did a great job.

When I shut the business I sold one and kept one and now have a mobile bench I can mount it into which I rate highly too.

Can't go wrong. Great machine. I have had a good play with a Makita though and liked it allot.

Whatever you buy make sure it has 2 rails in the slide rather than a single slide shaft. I think logically they are better.

Agree totally and say the same with regards to the two slide rails. When I was at collage we used dewalt saws and they seemed good but were a little bulky. Never used a Makita slide saw myself but most of the rest of my gear is Makita and you can't really go wrong with that brand.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 07:19 PM
Will look at the Hitachi as well as I know they sell them at the shop

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Daz why did you sell up if you don't mind me asking???

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd August 2013, 07:25 PM
mate your link doesn't work for me anyway! I have a portable bench which is 2.5 in each direction and has rollers in each (wing, left and right). But a plank or lvl or similar on a couple of saw stools will do for the occasional user. Having said that the amount of guys I see with this set up is unreal and blows me away as I could not cop a half arsed bench setup especially when it is your livelihood!

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 07:29 PM
mate your link doesn't work for me anyway! I have a portable bench which is 2.5 in each direction and has rollers in each (wing, left and right). But a plank or lvl or similar on a couple of saw stools will do for the occasional user. Having said that the amount of guys I see with this set up is unreal and blows me away as I could not cop a half arsed bench setup especially when it is your livelihood!

This it the one in his link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160856528179

Darrens link doesn't work but I knew the last digits of the link was the item number so just looked it up on ebay

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd August 2013, 07:32 PM
good for the handy man or occasional user just not for me. I have used one of these and not bad just not as good as a full bench.

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 07:43 PM
See what BOB the builder uses and follow his lead lol
My Circular saws are Makita had great runs from them

AB
3rd August 2013, 07:47 PM
Dewaults and hitachi are acceptable but Milwaukee are the go gents I've built half of my house with the Milwaukee set and love it.

As for Makita......mac can keep the bloody thing....lol

NissanGQ4.2
3rd August 2013, 07:51 PM
Dewaults and hitachi are acceptable but Milwaukee are the go gents I've built half of my house with the Milwaukee set and love it.

As for Makita......mac can keep the bloody thing....lol

Yeh but you have no taste................after all you use an apple product as a phone *L*

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 12:04 AM
What do you think of this one guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zNnkoR54uo

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 12:13 AM

I like it allot! Happy days! I have had mine for near 15years now and don't have a need to upgrade but would buy that no problem. How much are they?

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 07:01 AM
I like it allot! Happy days! I have had mine for near 15years now and don't have a need to upgrade but would buy that no problem. How much are they?

Thanks Daz

Found some online but it looks like it doesn't come with the digital display but comes with bonus tools, maybe old model clear out? Think I would go the one with the router as I have a circular saw already, going to call into the tool shop I used to work for next week and see if they have the same deals going and might drop past my old bosses place ( if he is not at the shop
when I go ) and see what sorta price he can do for me

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=18

Steve4wdin
4th August 2013, 07:55 AM

Tod, Always happy to help out. A beer or two, a few laughs and walls up. Job done. Pm me if you like. I have all the gear mate.
Steve

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 08:21 AM
Tod, Always happy to help out. A beer or two, a few laughs and walls up. Job done. Pm me if you like. I have all the gear mate.
Steve

Thanks Steve for the offer

Will give it a go myself first, If I ballz it up I will send you a PM or 3 *L*

Still welcome 2 drop in for a beer when travelling past downtown Warrimoo

You don't happen 2 know any good plumbers / tilers that you could recommend..... need to do an en suite as well and more than likely will be out of my basic building skills

Cheers

Todd

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks Daz

Found some online but it looks like it doesn't come with the digital display but comes with bonus tools, maybe old model clear out? Think I would go the one with the router as I have a circular saw already, going to call into the tool shop I used to work for next week and see if they have the same deals going and might drop past my old bosses place ( if he is not at the shop
when I go ) and see what sorta price he can do for me

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=18

Hey Todd, now I'm confused mate??? The link is to the new model Hiatachi 12" sliding compound saw, very nice. No digital display though mate and no router option?? Did you post another link?

That link in you second post has an error in it too mate?

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 10:06 AM
Hey Todd, now I'm confused mate??? The link is to the new model Hiatachi 12" sliding compound saw, very nice. No digital display though mate and no router option?? Did you post another link?

That link in you second post has an error in it too mate?

Don't know why some are shown with digital display and some are not............. its the same part number I believe, don't really care if it has digital readout or not

Not sure why link isn't working, goto www.sydneytools.com.au

and type in "hitachi mitre saw" to the search box

it doesn't have a router option comes as a package deal saw + router

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah still not working but had a look at their store and found the deal your looking at on page 3 of their sliding compound saws?

The router is nice but is a 1/4' router (small) and depending on what you want it for is nice.

$950 for the saw looks about average through their range. $850 to $1000 for most of them except the Growler Special for $1850!!

I have a C10FS and the C12FS or the one you are looking at will be real nice mate. It's a Saw! What on earth is the digital display for???

growler2058
4th August 2013, 10:12 AM
except the Growler Special for $1850!!

Go ON ya know ya wannit FESTOOL FESTOOL FESTOOL cha cha cha

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah still not working but had a look at their store and found the deal your looking at on page 3 of their sliding compound saws?

The router is nice but is a 1/4' router (small) and depending on what you want it for is nice.

$950 for the saw looks about average through their range. $850 to $1000 for most of them except the Growler Special for $1850!!

I have a C10FS and the C12FS or the one you are looking at will be real nice mate. It's a Saw! What on earth is the digital display for???

Digital display just shows the angles I believe so is not needed. I don't have a router thought it would be nice to have a play with one *L*

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 10:17 AM
Go ON ya know ya wannit FESTOOL FESTOOL FESTOOL cha cha cha

Don't think the shop I use 2 work for does Festool, plus the shop I use 2 work for is apart of a buying group, so they can get bulk buy deals I believe and Hitachi is one of the suppliers in that group

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2013, 10:24 AM
Digital display just shows the angles I believe so is not needed. I don't have a router thought it would be nice to have a play with one *L*

The digital display sounds nice, not sure it is really needed though, the saw is marked up with all the info you need. I has slots for defined angles and its hard to get it wrong mate. ;)

Routers are dangerous, be very weary, be careful and don't take them for granted.

I had up to 12 guys working in my work shop and had 3 industrial accidents in 10 years. 2 of those was with a Router and one on the bench saw.

A 1/2 router will be a more solid in your hands device and less likely to flex the router bit, can do a bigger cut and do more damage.

Depending what your going to be doing with your tools a Trimmer would be handy though. But to be honest, an electric Buzzer, a Belt Sander, a good Jig Saw, a set of 18v power tools, a Good sliding compound saw, a T50 series fixing Gun and a Framing gun and your in business mate.

outback
4th August 2013, 10:47 AM
Routers are dangerous, be very weary, be careful and don't take them for granted.

Best bit of advice concerning these little tools. Also add band saws to that.

Depending what your going to be doing with your tools a Trimmer would be handy though. But to be honest, an electric Buzzer, a Belt Sander, a good Jig Saw, a set of 18v power tools, a Good sliding compound saw, a T50 series fixing Gun and a Framing gun and your in business mate.

Then start adding bench saw, scroll saw, router tabl with its own router, wood lathe, few more buzzers and a few more nice tools. Then discover you have to remake the furnature in the house. Build grand daughters doll house and the list goes on......

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 12:27 PM
Then start adding bench saw, scroll saw, router tabl with its own router, wood lathe, few more buzzers and a few more nice tools. Then discover you have to remake the furnature in the house. Build grand daughters doll house and the list goes on......

I would have to build a new garage just 2 store that list of tools :):):)

megatexture
4th August 2013, 12:32 PM
Id use a router over a lathe, they make me nervous lol I've seen more injuries and close calls from wood lathes.

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2013, 12:37 PM
Id use a router over a lathe, they make me nervous lol I've seen more injuries and close calls from wood lathes.

Should see me with a chainsaw after a few beers, my kids now have 000 on speed dial

Steve4wdin
4th August 2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks Steve for the offer

Will give it a go myself first, If I ballz it up I will send you a PM or 3 *L*

Still welcome 2 drop in for a beer when travelling past downtown Warrimoo

You don't happen 2 know any good plumbers / tilers that you could recommend..... need to do an en suite as well and more than likely will be out of my basic building skills

Cheers

Todd

I did all my own plumbing and tiling. Just got someone into fix in shower screen. Offer still stands
Steve

MB
9th January 2019, 07:35 PM
Closest thread we could find :-)
‘Horizontal Log Bandsaw’ for the win!
Just scored off Gumtree a retirement legends bargain out bush.
A few dozen more guards needed adding and a risk assessment/operations manual created upon arrival back at the yard ;-)
Amazing the old school ingenuity out there, full respect to these old Blokes and huge thanks for passing it on down [emoji106][emoji106]

https://youtu.be/2iDysZvU8ig

https://youtu.be/UVoVsCass6U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finly Owner
9th January 2019, 10:58 PM
Hey Todd,
Long time.

Anyways mate, If it was me,( And I run my own HandyMan business now) I'd by a
Ryobi 2200W 305mm Slide Compound Mitre Saw http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/01/114.jpgfrom Bunnings.

You will do nearly all cutting you ever need to, you could buy a few different blades for this saw, so you have a finishing blade for architraves (60 tooth), and a multi purpose(40 tooth) and an aluminium cutting blade.

If you have a slide compound, you never need another saw on the bench. If get a mitre saw, one day you'll need the slide and wont have it.

I was Ryobi everyday cant fault them.

But as always choice is yours

Cuppa
9th January 2019, 11:22 PM
Hand held circular saw.
Makita LS1016 compound mitre slide saw
Triton work bench (table saw)

All were very useful building our place. The Makita replaced an old Ryobi drop saw I had which karked it a day or two after the framing timber arrived. Swore at the time about the unexpected cost of replacement, but looking back having a compound slide saw made many tasks so much easier, & some possible that I couldn't have done without the old saw.