PDA

View Full Version : Mudski's LED Conversion

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 02:03 PM
Yo Mark thought I'd start this so I can put pics to show the difference in globes etc. This is the T20 park, that gets brighter when you turn. Notice it was wires on both sides of wedge, like most wedge if it doesn't work turn it around. As I said I use the T20 68 smd for Parker, you could use it as a headlight its that bright, the parkers in the bull bar are bayonet style and completely different to look .at

mudski
2nd August 2013, 02:09 PM
Cheers TD. I didn't really think of actually how many globes I need to change on the entire vehicle until I sat down and wrote them down :O.
As for the bull bar lights. I have the earlier ARB bar and it only has the indicator. I have ordered an LED replacement assembly for there. My indicators in the bar were due to be changed anyway.
Due you know where you got them from? Plus you mentioned about adding resistors for the indicators. Be good to put up some info on this aswell, not just for me but for others too.

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 02:18 PM
Lots written on it but to eliminate the stupid fast flash you can buy LED relay for flashers or simply just solder as I have 50 ohm resistors for each indicator. I'll put some Heres the pic of 50 Ohm resistors solder and use heat shrink, then cable tie to loom or existing wiring to prevent any movement

FNQGU
2nd August 2013, 09:44 PM
TD, how do they get brighter when turning? Haven't heard of an LED that can do that before. I take it that this is for vehicles with computers?

I just grabbed a few of these types which have a lens at the front and for parkers seem to be very bright indeed. If they are too bright I might find myself pulling them out and changing design. I did find that as per usual the polarity was reversed and I have just cut and switched the wires to get them to work. Not sure if it is clear in the pic.

mudski
2nd August 2013, 09:50 PM
TD, how do they get brighter when turning? Haven't heard of an LED that can do that before. I take it that this is for vehicles with computers?

I just grabbed a few of these types which have a lens at the front and for parkers seem to be very bright indeed. If they are too bright I might find myself pulling them out and changing design. I did find that as per usual the polarity was reversed and I have just cut and switched the wires to get them to work. Not sure if it is clear in the pic.
Ben, the front parkers are actually a dual filament globe. The same as a stop/tail globe. So when your headlights are on the "tail" 5watt, part of the globe lights up and when you put your indicator on, the respective side parker also puts on it "stop" 21watt, part of the globe, giving you a brighter light. I never knew this for about six months after owning my car too...

mudski
2nd August 2013, 09:51 PM
Lots written on it but to eliminate the stupid fast flash you can buy LED relay for flashers or simply just solder as I have 50 ohm resistors for each indicator. I'll put some Heres the pic of 50 Ohm resistors solder and use heat shrink, then cable tie to loom or existing wiring to prevent any movement
Oh those things. I got plenty at work. Will be there tomorrow too. Do I need them for all four corners mate?

FNQGU
2nd August 2013, 09:56 PM
Ben, the front parkers are actually a dual filament globe. The same as a stop/tail globe. So when your headlights are on the "tail" 5watt, part of the globe lights up and when you put your indicator on, the respective side parker also puts on it "stop" 21watt, part of the globe, giving you a brighter light. I never knew this for about six months after owning my car too...

Thanks for that, news to me. I hadn't looked too hard at it either. Just noticed the dual filament on the old globes too. Should open my bloody eyes sometimes...

mudski
2nd August 2013, 09:58 PM
Hehe. Now everytime you go driving in the dark you will be looking out for that extra bit of light. Well, I do anyhow...Once you notice it, even though its not much, it actually does help a little.

FNQGU
2nd August 2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah, no doubt...

So the dual filament LED bulb will have the twin wires on the wedge, like the bottom pic in TD's first post? Is this the only way to tell a dual filament LED?

mudski
2nd August 2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah its got two wires on either side. I haven't bought any yet. I'm still trying to figure out how many, what type, size etc etc I need to do the entire car.

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 08:48 AM
@ benK sort like a dual filament only so many light up and when you turn you have 100% lit.
Check that black T20 wedge it has two wires on both sides of the wedge most single only have one wire each side,
and Ben if a wedge "globe" doesn't work just pull it out and put in the other way.
You'll find those globes with small magnified lens will have a cut off point, as in the beam will just stop very weird but true

@ Mudski yeah mate one per corner

@ both don't forget the indicator in the guard that's a T10 but flat with 12 smd led it's a "T" shaped wedge,
as you have no room for "normal" style led

pics of different types