PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Rust Proofing

LachDiggityDog
29th July 2013, 08:46 PM
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a place in Brisbane to get rust proofing done?

Thanks Lachy.

gaddy
29th July 2013, 09:09 PM
Rust free redlands railway prd thorneside , does both electronic and spray , and only down the road from you

LachDiggityDog
29th July 2013, 09:38 PM
Which would you recommend spray or electronic?

gaddy
29th July 2013, 09:44 PM
Now thats s camp fire debate , for me spray but do your research heaps of info out there

04OFF
30th July 2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15862-Rust-proofing

Wizard52
30th July 2013, 01:49 PM
Read link supplied by 040FF and agree with most of comments.
When I bought my 06 ute new, I had it sprayed by a local bloke in Caboolture in first week or so and then a couple of months later added a CAT electronic unit as well.
7 years later, most of the spray has disappeared on exposed arears which is to be expected and CAT still works.
I have left a very small area on drivers side sill bare from scuffing when getting in and out to see what happens. It is clean as day it was made in 06.
There is the smallest trace of rust on bare metal under vehicle so will spray again shortly to clean up but the bash plate under bull bar did rust quite badly around bolt holes. I can only assume bull bar was not earthed to vehicle properly because of good covering of paint so CAT could not put current to it to protect it. Perhaps a short connection would help.
As far as brands go, I guess they would all be similar as they do the same thing. Don't know why I bought the CAT instead of other brands.
Nothing is perfect but I think the ERP's help but not 100% cure for preventive maintenance and thorough cleaning.

Ronin
30th July 2013, 07:31 PM
how much on average do u have to pay for electronic rust protection ?

LachDiggityDog
30th July 2013, 09:43 PM
So should I just go with both?

Parksy
1st August 2013, 08:34 AM
Personally I'd go with the spray on stuff as a minimum. It works and is easy to DIY. It will need to be done annually as its not permanent coating. I went with the cheapest fish oil I could find and the drips on the driveway are still there two months later, surviving terential rain, sun, wind and traffic.

kabar
13th August 2013, 09:29 PM
I read somewhere that fishoil is to keep away from. Forget reason why, but I do remember reading on internet when I looked into it.
I would go electric.

Parksy
14th August 2013, 10:37 AM
I'm always keen to learn new things, but Kabar, you post is useless without facts. I've heard lots of things too, but it doesn't mean I will believe it(not just on the topic of rust proofing btw).

bigwad76
14th August 2013, 02:18 PM
I used to use sump oil and a drive on dusty dirt roads but a bit too messy when work is needed to be done under vehicle. Tectyl sprayed on all of under body and have used lanolin in areas where it will seep down into crevases etc.

04OFF
14th August 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm always keen to learn new things, but Kabar, you post is useless without facts. I've heard lots of things too, but it doesn't mean I will believe it(not just on the topic of rust proofing btw).

I can tell you one fact, ive seen more than 10 cars all with ERP, that have rust (this includes my own car)

Parksy
14th August 2013, 06:55 PM
I can tell you one fact, ive seen more than 10 cars all with ERP, that have rust (this includes my own car)

I don't think it works. On a boat yes, but not cars. What ever method used shouldn't ever be a set and forget thing. There should always be regular inspections, even to inspect the integrity of what ever sealing medium is used.

gaddy
14th August 2013, 08:17 PM
Doesn't matter what you use still can't beat spending the time cleaning when you get home ,