PDA

View Full Version : Sand flags

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 09:11 AM
Why are sand flag/pole set ups for bullbars so expensive????

How can they justify charging those prices??????

There's nothing to them !!!!!

the ferret
5th January 2011, 10:30 AM
It's like a lot of things that you need, it's only the profit that makes it expensive!!!

jace75
5th January 2011, 11:39 AM
I used a bike flag i still have it.
it has a fiberglass rod and yellow flag.

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 11:40 AM
Brilliant idea. Thanks Jase.

I could stick one (or two) on the front of my pod and that will leave enough room on my bullbar for a Bundy and Aussie flags
and that would make my ute a Beaut Ute ( lol - personal joke between me and Todd)

MudRunnerTD
5th January 2011, 11:47 AM
Hey Ross,

Last outback trip i used a fishing rod duct taped to the bull bar and a RED rag cable tied to the top mate. Check out page 9 of the GQ build thread i did. The bonus is that if you intend to do a bit of fishing when you get there well you know you did not forget your pole ;-)

Alternatively to the Red Rag >>>>> A few years ago i was doing a big trip into the dunes around Robe in SA and got my mum to Cut Up a HiViz vest that was no longer used that had the HiGlo tape on it and everything, Mum sewed her little heart out and made me a Wicked flag with a glo cross in the middle and everything, glo around the out side and Red / Yellow. Looked great. I leant it to a friend and they taxed it.

Still used a Surf rod that time.

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Ross,

Last outback trip i used a fishing rod duct taped to the bull bar and a RED rag cable tied to the top mate. Check out page 9 of the GQ build thread i did. The bonus is that if you intend to do a bit of fishing when you get there well you know you did not forget your pole ;-)

Alternatively to the Red Rag >>>>> A few years ago i was doing a big trip into the dunes around Robe in SA and got my mum to Cut Up a HiViz vest that was no longer used that had the HiGlo tape on it and everything, Mum sewed her little heart out and made me a Wicked flag with a glo cross in the middle and everything, glo around the out side and Red / Yellow. Looked great. I leant it to a friend and they taxed it.

Still used a Surf rod that time.

Another cheaper option. Thanks MR.

I'll only be able to use half my surf fishing rod because my height will exceed the max of 4.3m high in WA. lol

Cops are pretty strict on empty fishing rod holders on the front of bull bars, too. I know of people that have copped a yellow sticker for it.

Another option I just thought of was those red/yellow oversize flags they stick on oversize loads on trucks. Seen them close up and they look pretty robust and won't disintergrate too easily.

EDIT: Your pic was why I initially asked the question. Didn't realize your 'sand flag' was a fishing rod under all that 'mud'. lol

Thanks for the ideas.

Silly me went to the introductions section and had to sift through the 31 pages of intro's. Then I realized you were in the member's ride section. Doh!

the evil twin
5th January 2011, 12:55 PM
Why are sand flag/pole set ups for bullbars so expensive????

How can they justify charging those prices??????

There's nothing to them !!!!!

Because they are mandatory on mine sites... ergo... they are cost plus 1500% mark up.

I might have an old 27 meg fibreglass whip antenna at home that would be free to any WPC members who live North of Wagin and owns a Wagon... hehehehe... Nah jokin, you can have that if you want... tie an old pair of your boxers to the top of that and I reckon noone would every come near you...

Dhuck
5th January 2011, 02:49 PM
the evil twin had this to say:

might have an old 27 meg fibreglass whip antenna at home

Even buying a whip antenna and flag would work out cheaper than a full flag setup. I think near on every 4b owner has an old aerial lying around.

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 02:55 PM
Because they are mandatory on mine sites... ergo... they are cost plus 1500% mark up.

I might have an old 27 meg fibreglass whip antenna at home that would be free to any WPC members who live North of Wagin and owns a Wagon... hehehehe... Nah jokin, you can have that if you want... tie an old pair of your boxers to the top of that and I reckon noone would every come near you...

OK thanks. If you're offering it to me, I'll have it. If it's for somebody else we both know, they can have it. lol

the evil twin
5th January 2011, 03:01 PM
OK thanks. If you're offering it to me, I'll have it. If it's for somebody else we both know, they can have it. lol

... it's yours... the other bloke pulled outa the deal when he realised it included a pair of your old boxers as well.

The 27 meg Antennas have a 1/2" thread on the base from memory... anyway a wingnut from the hardware shop or a nut welded to the B Bar and you can take them on or off to suit if you have a flange to mount it.

XLR8
5th January 2011, 03:35 PM
Here's the one I use. Old 12ft Surf rod that shrunk a foot going under a carport once...... but thats another story....... Aussie flag is cable tied on and the sand flag above is held with Loctite. The rod wedges neatly into the bar and is secured with a couple of cable ties into the uprights, where i drilled 2 4mm holes.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii231/XLR8777/WPC%20Pics%20and%20Vids/Wiblinga%20Oz%20Day%202009/DSCF2881-1.jpg

PS, I have a roll of the material they use for the sand flags so when one dies I just cut another and glue it on. Happy to flick some to you when you are next up

stets
5th January 2011, 05:23 PM
i used to use pvc conduit, any of the thicker variety is good enough and cheap as chips too, maybe even use the orange type sparkies use for running cables underground. a couple holes drilled in where the flag will sit and whalah a flagpole, now attatch it with cable ties and away you go

ps dx grunt, something like this by any chance?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/feralhs2.jpg

Dhuck
5th January 2011, 07:49 PM
Love it Stets

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 07:54 PM
i used to use pvc conduit, any of the thicker variety is good enough and cheap as chips too, maybe even use the orange type sparkies use for running cables underground. a couple holes drilled in where the flag will sit and whalah a flagpole, now attatch it with cable ties and away you go

ps dx grunt, something like this by any chance?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/feralhs2.jpg

Almost .... absolutely.

Lol.

Thanks.

Ross

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks people for the great ideas. Hopefully, this will save a few people a few bucks. Thank you to all who have contributed and thanks in advance to all who want to contribute.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Finly Owner
5th January 2011, 09:55 PM
Any dump shops usually have Long 27meg aerials for a couple of bucks each

seaveiw
6th January 2011, 09:34 AM
try these guys i got mine direct from yhem i got a good price www.tigerbaybuggywhips.com.au/ they are wa made they are good quality

TheFlyingBadger
8th January 2011, 11:12 PM
try these guys i got mine direct from yhem i got a good price www.tigerbaybuggywhips.com.au/ they are wa made they are good quality

which one did you get, and how much? I guess i'll see it if you're still coming on the trip to wilbinga next sunday. We can have a "who lives closest to the meeting point" competition