PDA

View Full Version : Power antenna replacement

firm351
28th July 2013, 05:00 PM
G'day all, I recently broke my antenna when it hit a tree. Was wondering if anyone has replaced one of these. Any tips would be great. I have been thinking of doing away with the power antenna and installing a am/fm whip on the bull bar. Has anyone done this? I think the reception would have to increase a fair bit over the original antenna which was pretty ordinary to say the least.

scotty83
28th July 2013, 05:13 PM
Do you need to replace the whole antenna? I just replaced the mast. Much cheaper and way easier. Inner guard off and lower mast off the remove the plastic running guide that usual breaks off inside. If you need help with this I think I could walk you through it.

ScottyB. Mobile

firm351
28th July 2013, 05:19 PM
Do you need to replace the whole antenna? I just replaced the mast. Much cheaper and way easier. Inner guard off and lower mast off the remove the plastic running guide that usual breaks off inside. If you need help with this I think I could walk you through it.

ScottyB. Mobile

I reckon I might need to change out the whole thing, there is a fairly loud grinding noise whenever the ariel try's to go up or down. You would have a rough idea of the price for a replacement would you. Cheers mate.

meh
28th July 2013, 06:42 PM
The grinding noise could just be the wheel spinning on the plastic rope/(thing)
Cheap for a replacement, Around $40
http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/260969982549?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&cbt=y&_lwgsi=y&item_id=260969982549

scotty83
29th July 2013, 07:12 PM
Mine had a grinding noise it was the plastic stem catching on the cogs inside. worth a look. Big difference in price.

ScottyB Motoring

Evo
30th July 2013, 12:18 AM
Funny, I just replaced a mast on mine today.
I removed the plastic liner in the wheel arch, one bolt (12mm) on a bracket that the antenna mounts to, unscrew the chrome surround where the mast extends from (on top of guard), and remove the black plastic guard bezel.
I let the whole assembly drop so it clears the hole in the guard, then rotated the top towards the front of the car, then slowly pulled it out.
I didn't disconnect anything either.
Undo the phillips head screws holding the two halves of the plastic assembly together (7 screws from memory).
Open this up and you will see a round white wheel with a hole in the middle (one of the screws you take out goes through the middle of this).
Inside this wheel is where you will find the piece, or pieces, of the old mast internals.
Assemble in reverse order without installing the new mast.
Feed back up inside the guard and put the bolt back in the bracket to hold it there.
Take the old metal sleeve and small plastic spacer off the bottom section of the old antenna and put it on the new one.
Fully extend the new antenna so that the minimum of the toothed cable is showing.
Poke the end of the toothed cable into the hole with the teeth facing the rear of the car.
Turn your key to acc to let the motor wind all the way out.
When it stops, get someone to turn the key off while you guide the cable into the motor (you can do it yourself if you are fast or have really long arms), and then guide the antenna in until the sleeve, spacer, and all sections of the antenna have been retracted.
Turn on the car, and off, to test all extends and retracts smoothly.
Replace black guard bezel and chrome screw in retainer.
Replace plastic liner in wheel arch.
Job done!
Hope this helps, if it even makes sense.

PS: I converted from normal antenna on a car to a whip on the bulbar. There was no noticeable difference in the suburbs, but out of town a bit, the standard antenna was a bit better.
I have noticed that my Patrol factory antenna is better than all other vehicles I have driven/owned for reception and quality.

Evo

firm351
30th July 2013, 12:41 AM
G'day Evo

Thanks mate for the detailed info and for taking the time to post it up. It's a huge help I might have a crack at it tomorrow. Will let you know how your instructions work out.

Tonks
30th July 2013, 07:36 AM
Funny, I just replaced a mast on mine today.
I removed the plastic liner in the wheel arch, one bolt (12mm) on a bracket that the antenna mounts to, unscrew the chrome surround where the mast extends from (on top of guard), and remove the black plastic guard bezel.
I let the whole assembly drop so it clears the hole in the guard, then rotated the top towards the front of the car, then slowly pulled it out.
I didn't disconnect anything either.
Undo the phillips head screws holding the two halves of the plastic assembly together (7 screws from memory).
Open this up and you will see a round white wheel with a hole in the middle (one of the screws you take out goes through the middle of this).
Inside this wheel is where you will find the piece, or pieces, of the old mast internals.
Assemble in reverse order without installing the new mast.
Feed back up inside the guard and put the bolt back in the bracket to hold it there.
Take the old metal sleeve and small plastic spacer off the bottom section of the old antenna and put it on the new one.
Fully extend the new antenna so that the minimum of the toothed cable is showing.
Poke the end of the toothed cable into the hole with the teeth facing the rear of the car.
Turn your key to acc to let the motor wind all the way out.
When it stops, get someone to turn the key off while you guide the cable into the motor (you can do it yourself if you are fast or have really long arms), and then guide the antenna in until the sleeve, spacer, and all sections of the antenna have been retracted.
Turn on the car, and off, to test all extends and retracts smoothly.
Replace black guard bezel and chrome screw in retainer.
Replace plastic liner in wheel arch.
Job done!
Hope this helps, if it even makes sense.

PS: I converted from normal antenna on a car to a whip on the bulbar. There was no noticeable difference in the suburbs, but out of town a bit, the standard antenna was a bit better.
I have noticed that my Patrol factory antenna is better than all other vehicles I have driven/owned for reception and quality.

Evo
My antenna on the Gu has just started to only go up halfway,
I have given it a spray with WD40,
But still no good,
Any ideas,
Cheers
Tonks

Evo
30th July 2013, 05:24 PM
My antenna on the Gu has just started to only go up halfway,
I have given it a spray with WD40,
But still no good,
Any ideas,
Cheers
Tonks

Does it go back down ok?

Evo
30th July 2013, 05:26 PM
G'day Evo

Thanks mate for the detailed info and for taking the time to post it up. It's a huge help I might have a crack at it tomorrow. Will let you know how your instructions work out.

No problem.
Pity you weren't a bit closer as I would be happy to give you a hand.

Tonks
2nd August 2013, 07:37 AM
Does it go back down ok?

Yes it goes down all the way.

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 08:27 AM
@ Tonks there is a switch on centre console that limits the antenna to half mast.
Down near your cig lighter to the left..
I ran a Whip antenna on last 4x4 great reception.

Evo
2nd August 2013, 11:04 PM
Haha threedogs.
Was going to say the same thing.
My switch is up top left of the head unit.

Evo

Limmy
5th November 2013, 01:00 PM
does anyone know if the antennas change from the earlier series . I have 2005 gu4

most of the ones I seen on ebay are 1998 to 2004 ? I just need to mast for now

firm351
5th November 2013, 01:10 PM
does anyone know if the antennas change from the earlier series . I have 2005 gu4

most of the ones I seen on ebay are 1998 to 2004 ? I just need to mast for now

Have a look at this post mate
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?23462-Antenna-Mast-amp-Rope-08-GU&p=429290#post429290
it appears they are all the same. Not sure why they dont list one for after 2004