PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing maintenance

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 03:36 PM
Hi guys
Has anyone done a DYI procedure for servicing the front wheel bearings with hub lock for a manual GU 08 DX. Is it something one can do at home requiring no special tools?

Thanks
AJ

YNOT
28th July 2013, 03:54 PM
Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks Tony
AJ

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 05:09 PM
Tony sorry to bother on a Sunday night, on the GU, I have taken the two screws out, the washer falls out. But which part is the hub nut, does the nut have internal thread or and external thread?
AJ

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 05:15 PM
This is where I am up too. See photo attached. 32286

mudski
28th July 2013, 05:28 PM
Tony sorry to bother on a Sunday night, on the GU, I have taken the two screws out, the washer falls out. But which part is the hub nut, does the nut have internal thread or and external thread?
AJ
The washer behind that outer washer that has the screws in it is the hub nut. Use use a pin punch on the hole and go righty tighty or lefty loosey.

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks mudski
Should it be so hard to loosen. I have it fair clout?
AJ

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 05:43 PM
I got it undone. I reckon it was too tight. Should it be just tight enough to get rid of play in the bearing?
AJ

YNOT
28th July 2013, 05:44 PM
It depends how much preload was put on the bearings last time the bearings were apart. Shouldn't take too much force to undo.

YNOT
28th July 2013, 05:45 PM
I got it undone. I reckon it was too tight. Should it be just tight enough to get rid of play in the bearing?
AJ

I run the hub nut up until it touches then tighten a few degrees further. Spin the hub a few times to settle the bearings then loosen off and do it again.
You may need to adjust the hub nut back or forwards a few degrees so it lines up with the holes in the lock nut, your call whether you tighten or loosen.

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 05:59 PM
Yep. That what thought. Before I started removing anything, I did notice that the wheel had a lot of resistance. And to get the hub nut off, I ended up damaging the holes in the nut.
AJ

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 06:20 PM
Cleaned the shaft up. It looks a very rotary scratches. But nut serious. I reckon I put in new bearing and rear seal for good measure.
AJ32288

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 06:25 PM
Sorry about my bad grammar. I should proof read before I press the send button. I meant to say "there are few rotary scratches where the front bearing sits on the shaft."
AJ

mudski
28th July 2013, 07:44 PM
As long as the bearing is not like a cock in a sock it should be o.k. New bearings and seal, plenty of hi-temp grease and you'll be set.
When installing, nip it up just until there is no play. As Tony said, as your tightening it up, rotate the hub to settle the bearings in. Then after a week, re-check the bearings. You might find you need to nip them up a little by then.
Funny about this... I had the dreaded 80k wobbles in my U, I nip the front bearings up and the wobbles have gone. Even though I could only just ever so slightly feel any play in the hub, it obviously was enough to get the wobbles. Nipped them up and no more wobbles.

mudski
28th July 2013, 07:45 PM
Cleaned the shaft up. It looks a very rotary scratches. But nut serious. I reckon I put in new bearing and rear seal for good measure.
AJ32288
Hey AJ. Your missing the circlip and two washers for the axle shaft there mate!

Ajwood
28th July 2013, 08:18 PM
Hey mudski
I reckon your right. I think I am missing the hub nut too.

AJ

mudski
28th July 2013, 10:14 PM
Hey mudski
I reckon your right. I think I am missing the hub nut too.

AJ
No your not mate. The nut is what the screws actually screw into. Its round like the washer with the holes in it. Otherwise the screws wouldn't be there as they have nothing to screw into.

See the link of what the screws screw into. That is your hub nut. If thats not there the screws have nothing to hold onto and your hub will just fall off.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Lock-Nuts-Patrol-GU-Y61-4x4-Wagon-Ute-Genuine-Nissan-/121138958269?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3471cfbd

Ajwood
1st August 2013, 11:35 AM
Hey Guys I found the problem. A bearing is badly damaged. See photo. Know I am face the drama of removing the out race. I think I will use a brass bar and hammer to knock the old ones out! I have the new one in the fridge at the moment, hoping I can tap them in.
AJ32400

YNOT
1st August 2013, 11:45 AM
Hey Guys I found the problem. A bearing is badly damaged. See photo. Know I am face the drama of removing the out race. I think I will use a brass bar and hammer to knock the old ones out! I have the new one in the fridge at the moment, hoping I can tap them in.
AJ32400

I use a steel pin punch and hammer to get them out, the bearings are hardend steel so you won't hurt them. Just keep alternating where you tap on the bearing so it comes out evenly, same fitting the new bearings.

mudski
1st August 2013, 12:17 PM
I just rubbed some oil on the outer side of the bearing cup. Putting them in the fridge would help too... Just don't put your hub seal in back to front. It will still seal but after a week it will start squeeling as the lip on the seal will be push up hard against the stub axle.
You will need the washers and circlip for the axle shaft too if you haven't already got them.

Ajwood
1st August 2013, 12:58 PM
Yep mudski
I have all the parts. No probs

I have notices some material wear on the bush. I may need too replace them later. I have greased the drive clutch and the bush as per manual. The work shop manual is great. It give more conference on the work flow.

Thanks again guys for you help. If you want I will post again as I progress.

Ajwood
1st August 2013, 01:46 PM
The outer races are in. I used a bit off brass flat same length as the diameter of the outer. Place the bearing making sure is the right up. Place the bar across the bearing and hit the middle of the bar. Rotating the bar every tap. Wala she's home. 32401

mudski
4th August 2013, 02:43 PM
Yep mudski
I have all the parts. No probs

I have notices some material wear on the bush. I may need too replace them later. I have greased the drive clutch and the bush as per manual. The work shop manual is great. It give more conference on the work flow.

Thanks again guys for you help. If you want I will post again as I progress.
Sorry mate. What bush are you talking about? I recently did a re race on my U and don't remember seeing any bush.