PDA

View Full Version : DIY Front Bearings - How hard?

SonOf
28th July 2013, 12:39 PM
Finally getting some time back now I have come of Full time work so looking at doing some overdue maintenance on my 99 GU TD42.

I have a new set of springs & shocks to throw in to give here a 2" lift but thought as I am going to have the girl up on stands & have just ticked 300km's I should replace the bearings as well as I am not sure when they were last done by the previous owner.

I am trying to learn to do most stuff myself both for saving $$$ and to get to know my car and be able to do running repairs when I am out and about should it ever need it. Can one of you knowledgeable people offer some ideas and also where is the best place to search out part numbers etc for the parts?

Cheers

happygu
28th July 2013, 02:53 PM
It isn't that hard of a job, but having the right tools is really helpful.

To do it properly, you need the 54mm Hub Nut removal tool, but having said that, if you are handy, you can manage without it but you may butcher the nut a little getting it off and back on.

The hardest part is getting the old bearing off, as the bearing is often hard to shift.

You may find having a bearing puller, a suitable drift, an oxy set to heat up around the old bearing, or a 4" grinder to carefully grind a flat to make a weak spot to spread the metal bearing race, helpful for the removal.

Best thing to do would be to download the manual, and take a look through the schematic diagram, and the sequence of how it all comes apart, and then goes back together.
This will let you know if you have all the right tools before it is all in pieces.

Mic

YNOT
28th July 2013, 03:06 PM
You might find this thread useful; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Woodsta1704
28th July 2013, 03:06 PM
You can get a hub nut socket for about $20 from eBay.

YNOT
28th July 2013, 03:14 PM
You can get a hub nut socket for about $20 from eBay.

Being GU this is the style of hub nut tool you need; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hub-Nut-Socket-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU-Y61-Handy-Workshop-Mechanics-Lock-Tool-4H501-/271233563569?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item3f26c7bbb1#ht_3780wt_1142

54mm socket is for earlier models.

SonOf
28th July 2013, 05:21 PM
Being GU this is the style of hub nut tool you need; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hub-Nut-Socket-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU-Y61-Handy-Workshop-Mechanics-Lock-Tool-4H501-/271233563569?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item3f26c7bbb1#ht_3780wt_1142

54mm socket is for earlier models.

Purchased - rest of the tools I will either acquire or have.

BigRAWesty
28th July 2013, 06:56 PM
Hay mate, just finished my complete seal and bearing rebuild.. The wheel bearings are quite simple.
Follow YNOT's thread and you will have no issue.
The hub nut is a big help so good move, but a 1/2 socket set up to 14mm is also a big help. A box of rubber gloves, a tube if bearing grease and a torque wrench.
You'll need a soft punch, I used alloy but brass is also good..
The main outer races are easily knocked out via 2 cut outs in the hub..
Knock the small out first and then the large one..
Feel free to ask any questions mate..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudski
31st July 2013, 12:20 AM
What do you need a torque wrench for? Did mine on the U last week and never used a torque wrench, or hub nut spanner too. Just don't put the hub seal in back to front. If you do, after a week it will start to squeel as its rubbing against the hub. Going from experience that is. Silly me had a few too many at the end of the day and wasn't really taking much notice at this part of the assemble. Luckily I had spare seals...

BigRAWesty
31st July 2013, 12:27 AM
Wheel bearing tension.. can be done by feel, if its your first time its nice to have a starting point and the torque setting is it..

mudski
31st July 2013, 04:41 PM
Wheel bearing tension.. can be done by feel, if its your first time its nice to have a starting point and the torque setting is it..
Well there you go. You learn something new everyday...I just wind everything up until my elbow clicks.... :)

Bloodyaussie
31st July 2013, 05:59 PM
I just pulled mine off to check quickly and the right side was bloody loose so adjusted it up and will check them again before the snow trip.....

Hubs are easy just lay everything out and clean as you go as it makes it easier in the long run....

SonOf
31st July 2013, 06:20 PM
Is it worth doing a full refit to the hubs as well while they are out? Seems like something logical while I have everything apart.

Got my brake pads etc so I will do those as well.

BigRAWesty
31st July 2013, 06:49 PM
Is it worth doing a full refit to the hubs as well while they are out? Seems like something logical while I have everything apart.

Got my brake pads etc so I will do those as well.

Wheel bearings are easy. Full hub is a bit move involved.
Unless you have death wobbles or find diff oil in your wheel bearing grease i wouldn't worry about it.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudski
31st July 2013, 07:02 PM
Speaking of the death wobbles. Mines had it since I bought it. Took it to a few places and they did a few things but it was still there and I just kinda accepted it. Until I tightened up my wheel bearings about a month ago after a trip. Never had the wobbles since. All along it was the bloody bearings just not tight enough.

Bloodyaussie
31st July 2013, 07:14 PM
Do the lot I guarantee you if you dont the hub seal will start leaking one month after you do the bearings just to piss you off..... speaking from experience twice over now!!!