PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Camera Install ideas

Limmy
28th July 2013, 08:12 AM
Hi Guys

I'm looking to get a stereo with the works . screen , dvd , blue tooth , camera .

I want the reverse camera option also . Good for parking and especially for the misses

Questions
What are some mounting positions for reverse camera ?
How to run the wire from camera into the car ?
Are there types of Cameras I should avoid ? I heard there some that don't work well at night
Is it hard to wire to reverse ? so the camera turns on automatically

Thanks heaps !

threedogs
28th July 2013, 08:18 AM
don't buy the gps wireless, think most mount above number plate and point camera at towball.
having same dilemma as I want to run two cameras.
its getting wires to the front I'm stumped on maybe under carpet along the sides

meh
28th July 2013, 08:41 AM
For a camera in the dash id run wires under carpet under the sides, or under the roof lining along the sides.
Having the camera activate on reverse there should be a 12v wire input on your Screen/DVD system that you need to tap into the reverse light wire. Id have a look at which one goes to the reversing light and see if you can locate the same color at the front of the vehicle

megatexture
28th July 2013, 09:24 AM
I've put mine up above the licence plate like 3dogs suggest and I found it to be the best place, and I ran my wires under the carpet and in the step wells under the plastic trim. And connected mine so on with accessories

I've got 3 cameras 1 reverse 2nd is mounted on the snorkel pointing forwards ( for my vertically challenged wife to see in car parks) and 3rd one is in the car mounted in the front overhead light pointing backwards to see the kids. With a knob to switch between them.

threedogs
28th July 2013, 10:00 AM
@ Mega how did you get wires into cargo area seeing they have those rca ends on them??
take it you had a video switcher to get from camera to camera. I want one rear and one watching rope spool onto winch.

megatexture
28th July 2013, 10:15 AM
Had to take the lining off the small barn door and there is a hole large enough to feed the wires inside right next to the handle ( i think i had to remove the licence plate lights also to get acess) then I ran the wires into the door and in the car through the stock rubber wire loom near the hinge .. It was a pain in the ass .

Also note once the lining is removed from the door you will see a plastic lining, make sure you put it back or bull dust will enter your car via the barn door ... And alot of it !

Drewboyaus
28th July 2013, 10:32 AM
I've put mine up above the licence plate like 3dogs suggest and I found it to be the best place, and I ran my wires under the carpet and in the step wells under the plastic trim. And connected mine so on with accessories

I've got 3 cameras 1 reverse 2nd is mounted on the snorkel pointing forwards ( for my vertically challenged wife to see in car parks) and 3rd one is in the car mounted in the front overhead light pointing backwards to see the kids. With a knob to switch between them.

Hey Mega,
Mate, I'm also curious as to how you set up the switching for the various cameras.......

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

scotty83
28th July 2013, 11:19 AM
I have just finished this on my gu i will try to finish my write up and pic and get it up here for you.

ScottyB Motoring

threedogs
28th July 2013, 11:28 AM
I have a video switching Thingy, that allows me to choose which screen I want to view.
Was only cheap and does 3 cameras, I'll grab a pic, haven't used it yet but think its the right gizmo

megatexture
28th July 2013, 01:46 PM
I've made my own switch using one of these from jcar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SR1216 I looked around and could only find units like 3 dogs shows but wanted something compact that I could mount on the dash,
It was a bit finicky but the main thing is to make sure as little of the centre wire is exposed as the outer wire is a shield blocking your signal from signal interference.

Ill post up a pic of the finished product when the wife gets home

threedogs
28th July 2013, 01:49 PM
@ Mega that's cool, so you just twist depending where you want to look??
You're right compact.!
Now we're talking about it again maybe others will have some input,
I might get my mates at JB Hi-Fi to install it easier lol

megatexture
28th July 2013, 02:03 PM
Yea I've got a label with front,back ,inside and accessories.( for viewing laptop,cameras... Anything with a rf plug and this is the only one with audio input) not that I have used it yet but easier to do it once.

my third 256
28th July 2013, 03:06 PM
just finished mu mates camera in th patrol
used the rear tie down hook position
make a new plate or you could use the existing one for protecting the camera
we used existing one and put a plate on top
you then drill a hole throughplate and bumper bar the size of the caners and ren wire through atach camera and install plate
dont forger to set up the angle of the camera first
its directlu above ball so is easy to line up

threedogs
28th July 2013, 04:41 PM
are you able to get a picture of position, very interested.
I have a few 12v jobs to do ATM

my third 256
31st July 2013, 01:27 PM
sorry for the late reply but dislocated hip and an in hospital to put back in will get picture in a couple of days threedogs

threedogs
31st July 2013, 01:58 PM
Whilst searching for different style cameras I cam across a mob that have a camera in the bracket with number plate light in it.
Have not found them for a GU, but it may be available for the GR market. maybe our UK members could do a quick search

megatexture
31st July 2013, 04:18 PM
You would want to make a shield for the camera in that position, I've got my trailer plug on my rear bar next to that spot and keep breaking off the lids in bog holes

threedogs
31st July 2013, 05:28 PM
Its up and under near the rear door handle underneath the Nissan ledge thingy

megatexture
31st July 2013, 06:38 PM
i was thinking the later ones with out the step where its on the bumper. in that case it would be fine yea.