PDA

View Full Version : All Terrain reccomendations

mattdoyle0493
28th July 2013, 01:56 AM
G'day all,
Just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas as to who makes a decent set of all terrain tyres; I would love to put a set of muddies on it so I can play proper hard however the amount of road miles I do I just can't justify them!
I had Maxxis 751's on my old ute, they worked really well for a cheaper tyre but were too soft and chewed out way too quickly on the gravel.

"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at"

Clunk
28th July 2013, 02:09 AM
depends on what you class as being "proper hard play".................... I'm currently using Mickey Thompson 4rib ATZs and have served me well so far. Although there are time when I'm playing "proper hard", I wish I had a set of muddies

mattdoyle0493
28th July 2013, 02:20 AM
Proper hard play is probably just bad English more than anything... What $ am I looking at roughly per tyre?

Thanks

mattdoyle0493
28th July 2013, 02:21 AM
And usually most of what my ute does is muddy farm work; river crossings, etc, I can't see myself doing any proper 4wding any time soon

Clunk
28th July 2013, 02:46 AM
Proper hard play is probably just bad English more than anything... What $ am I looking at roughly per tyre?

Thanks

I paid $1900 for a set of 5, 33"x 12.5" x 15" but that was with rims as well but I reckon you'd still be looking at over $300 a corner just for the tyres, depending on what make you get.................... there are cheaper brands also

threedogs
28th July 2013, 08:04 AM
there is a tyre price guide somewhere here KM2 305s were $320 each and 33"s were $300
from memory the muddies cost more than the ATs, have a search

happygu
28th July 2013, 08:54 AM
BFG AT's, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours, or Mickey Thompson ATZ's are a good place to start.

I personally would stay away from the Cooper ST's on a Patrol from personal experience, but I will acknowledge that they have changed the compound and tread patterns, so there could be a change in the way these perform.

These will be more expensive as you are also paying for the brand name - if you want to go cheaper, there is a huge variety of tyres.

Mic

Hodge
28th July 2013, 09:12 AM
I used 4 ribs on my navara for a long time. Very impressed with them. Several times when we were out and about, some guys couldn't believe the places where I didn't get stuck, when they swore I'll need muddies.
About to splurge on a set of 5 for my patrol, just deciding on the size. 285/75 16 or 305/70 16 :coffeetime:

meh
28th July 2013, 09:29 AM
I run Dick Cepeck FC-II and they are great on road and off. No troubles through slippery mud and are pretty quiet on the black top too - 285/75/16 cost me $355 a corner at bob jane

philfree
28th July 2013, 07:37 PM
i have Yokohama at-s and their great very good on road traction wet and dry and pretty quiet i think i paid a bit to much for mine at the time and i paid about 330 a tyre

macca86
28th July 2013, 10:12 PM
Another vote for Micky t atz 4 ribs the going price for them are about 350-370 a corner for 285/75/16

trekster
28th July 2013, 10:31 PM
I run Kumho KL78 roadventure a/ts

So far very happy with these tyres and at the $230-$240mark for a tyre in a 285/75/16 I couldn't say no!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28531&d=1366355677

mattdoyle0493
28th July 2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks all for the replies, getting a lot of "love" for the Micky T's I might give them a whirl. What are they like in regards how long they last? I do roughly 20% rough gravel and rocky roads, 5% muddy slush, and the rest on the black top, everyone reckon I will get plenty of ks out of them?

mattdoyle0493
28th July 2013, 11:33 PM
trekster; those Kumhos look pretty chunky for an all terrain, and a good price too, what are they like on wear or you haven't had them on long enough to really tell?

mattdoyle0493
28th July 2013, 11:34 PM
I don't mean to sound tight by pushing the wear but I do 40ks of rough gravel with a lot of sharp stuff minimum 6 times a week and damn it's hard on tyres!

macca86
28th July 2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks all for the replies, getting a lot of "love" for the Micky T's I might give them a whirl. What are they like in regards how long they last? I do roughly 20% rough gravel and rocky roads, 5% muddy slush, and the rest on the black top, everyone reckon I will get plenty of ks out of them?

The 4 rib Micky t are chunky but ave heas of contact I've even told 60-80000 km if rotated and proper pressures. I'm 10000km into my tyres and love tem heaps better in all conditions compared to my bfg ats

lhurley
28th July 2013, 11:42 PM
I have mickey T's ATZ 4 Rib, they go alright, can be a bit skatey on road, and noiser as they wear down. They go pretty well off road, got me to most places muddies do. In saying that, i have had endless troubles getting dirt in the bead. tried everything and still get a flat nearly every time i go out, i also dont push it that hard, i guess i could just be unlucky. Tyre shop says they are spinning on the rim.

70k is to be expected out of them, probably get more easily looking after them. They are not to far off the $400 a corner mark.
All in all, not a bad tyre, but if it was my money i wouldnt be buying them. I WILL be buying a set of BFG KM2's when i have funds available.

trekster
29th July 2013, 06:49 AM
trekster; those Kumhos look pretty chunky for an all terrain, and a good price too, what are they like on wear or you haven't had them on long enough to really tell?

I've only done a tad under 5k kms on them so far, They look the same as the day they went on albeit alot more dirty hahaha.... So far done plenty of off roading on them and have handled as good as I would have expected them, they are no mud tyre but have performed excellent for me, very little road noise and handle well in the wet.

oddkid82
29th July 2013, 08:14 AM
I have had the bfg all terrain and found them awesome. They were great on the black stuff, I got about 100 000km out of them. They worked great off road too,

But make sure you rotate your tyres regularly to max mileage out of them and for even wear.

MudRunnerTD
29th July 2013, 09:15 AM
When your looking at the MT 4 rib also look at the Micky Thompson ATZ 5 Rib as it is a little less aggressive again and will give you plenty of kms out of them and still be MT Tough and handle the amount of offroad you do.

jimt
1st August 2013, 09:52 PM
BFG ATs hard to go past not cheap but wear hard. Drove the Oddnadatta and another 600 along the old Ghan to Finke hardly even chipped a tyre since then done 40k on and off road. Still 50% tread!

florix
2nd August 2013, 09:12 AM
I just went through this myself. Chose Mickey Thompson ATZ 4Rib the 33" price was $330 ended up with 35" though. Compared them to BFG AT, and coopers STT. All three are great tyres but from looking at the tyres mickeys had a better pattern IMO. They defiantly self clean well.

florix
2nd August 2013, 09:13 AM
Also coopers were $340 and BFGs were $400.