PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rhino trays?

Drewboyaus
27th July 2013, 02:41 PM
Guys,
Investigating different roof rack options. I currently have a set of 3 Rhino HD roof bars and have been trying to decide if I should use them together with one of these:
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Alloy-Trays_Page_2_Accessory_ALLOY-LUGGAGE-TRAY_40_1.aspx

Or if I should buy one if the fixed, all in one ARB style alloy racks.
Does anyone use a Rhino tray? What are they like? Strong enough for a trip across the Simmo or up to the cape? What is the carrying capacity (can't seem to find that on their site)?
Cheers
Andrew.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

threedogs
27th July 2013, 03:08 PM
I use Rhino racks , but only difference I made my own rack to suit.
would not hesitate to travel anywhere, limit yourself to what goes on top
and you should have no problems, No feed back on the basket rack.
All I was after was a flat platform with a few tie down points
that incorporated awning and light bar brackets

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 03:10 PM
Hey Andrew,

I recon they are ugly but I would rate them for strength though. That rack on top of your 3 bars is a winner. Even grabbing a forth bar and it would be great mate.

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 03:28 PM
This is the rack I have on the GUIV and it has served me very well mate. I have climbed up on top but am cautious about walking through the centre but km a big bloke ;) had a guy loading fire wood on it the other week and he thought it was a steel rack and walked up the middle with a load of wood and it did ok. I would happily buy again.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-Length-Powder-Coated-Black-Aluminium-Roof-Rack-Cage4-Nissan-Patrol-DX-ST-Ti-/300707564005?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46039149e5&_uhb=1

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 03:30 PM
He also sells the Rhino style and the Rhino Rack roof bars in a copy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-Alloy-Roof-Cage-Rack-Tray-4-Mitsubishi-Delica-L400-High-Roof-1390X1000mm-SALE-/290757285737?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b27c1769&_uhb=1

He has a good display at his factory in Campbellfield and you can go and have a look mate

Drewboyaus
28th July 2013, 04:42 PM
Does anyone make an aluminium tradesman style rack with open ends without the obscene price tag?
Threedogs design is pretty much what I'm after only in aluminium.
Some of the prices out there are just that.......out there.

Clunk
28th July 2013, 05:11 PM
what about the platforms, I reckon they look heaps better

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Platforms_BarType_2_68.aspx

Drewboyaus
28th July 2013, 07:59 PM
what about the platforms, I reckon they look heaps better

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Platforms_BarType_2_68.aspx

Yeah, was looking at those. Price isn't too bad and I've already got the Rhino legs. I like how they are flat but I hear you have to rivet the planks to the cross pieces.
What are people's thoughts on the "robustness" of rivets in rough going?

tracemul7
16th August 2013, 09:40 PM
We have the larger 2.4 x 1.2 rack with 4 bars and really like it. Impressed that with 2 people we can still easily lift it up there.
One thing to remember is that the rack mount onto the bars in specific spots, so you have to position the bars in the right place before you can mount the rack to them. Depends if you are going to leave it on all the time or not as to whether this is an issue. From what i know, the gutters are only rated to 50Kg, however we've had 4 bars, roof rack, and hubby up there packing it too, on our old GQ, and never a problem :) Haven't used it on our new GU yet ... waiting for the weather to improve before we head off on some more trips!

mopargreg
24th August 2013, 05:57 PM
Ive got the Rhino rack as pictured in the first post. Its been great so far. I couldnt tell you the size without measureing it but its a large one. Mine has 3 bars on it. I also have the Rhino gas bottle attachment & a shovel holder attachment. I cant fault it to date. The only thing I dont like is the colour. I wished it was black.

mopargreg
24th August 2013, 05:59 PM
I forgot to mention I think it has a sticker on it saying it has a carrying capacity of 150kgs. I will confirm the carrtying capicity tomorrow if you like.

threedogs
24th August 2013, 06:04 PM
Drew go to Aldis they are selling Rhino copies Bars and basket' exactly the same

Clunk
24th August 2013, 06:26 PM
I picked up a 2nd hand rhino rack a few nights ago and already love the versatility of it. Means I can keep the 3 bars on the roof at all times and still be able to park in me garage, then only fit the alloy cage when I really need it. Oh and I got on top of it while the cage was still on today and it held my 110kg bulk nicely......... pretty damn sturdy things for sure.

Edit: PS it also means that I no longer need another person to help me when fitting to tray, its light enough for a one person lift then slide it into position before bolting it on.

joeker
26th August 2013, 02:01 PM
I also have the alloy basket shown in the first post. it is mounted on three bars (I have a fourth that I use for the rearward opening awning) and it has been around Australia twice including drives down the GRR, across the Simmo, up the Cape, along lots of other off road highways and tracks.

It is loaded up with an awning and a shovel holder on opposite sides and a second spare wheel (using one of Rhino's spare wheel carriers) as well as firewood and a heap of other stuff depending upon our travelling configuration etc.

It has never cracked or loosened or broken or done anything other than its job. I did assemble it using Locktite on all bolts though.

Recommended.

Otech66
18th March 2014, 07:30 PM
Hi guys
Ive doing the same as Drewbouaus and looking at all types of luggage racks for my GQ. Black widddow, ARB ,Rhino are all good alloy racks but $1000-$1500 depending on the one you want and where you get it. Ive decided to get one from Pinnacle Wholesalers. They look almost identical to the ARB ones and only $400 + freight. I am willing to take the chance. Does anyone know about these or have they purchased one? Mine will be doing an outback trip to central Qld next year.