PDA

View Full Version : sub tank operation

mopper
27th July 2013, 12:04 PM
Having just bought my 02 3.0 diesel turbo without an owners manual, I am unsure if the sub tank switch is working or I am not operating it correctly. I have put fuel in sub tank , the sub tank light comes on when turning on ignition, but when I press the sub tank switch nothing happens. Have I got a faulty switch , or am I doing something wrong ????

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 12:11 PM
Nab mate all good. It is a transfer pump and works quite slowly. There is a small light on the actual switch that will light up but nothing else. The light in the dash is a fault light and does not illuminate during transfer.

The sub tank has a transfer pump that turns off automatically when it had finished the transfer and will take upto 20minute to complete.

mopper
27th July 2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks mate , I just had a look at the 98 owners manual on here and realised the only fault was me !!!

happygu
27th July 2013, 12:19 PM
My Sub Tank light will illuminate when the switch is pressed, and the light goes out when the transfer is complete.

I have never had a problem with mine, but some have had to add an extra earth strap to make theirs work.

If yours is working, it will start to transfer once your fuel in the main tank gets low and you press the switch, but it does take a while as it pumps the fuel through a small rubber hose back into the main tank.

Mic

mudski
31st July 2013, 10:17 PM
Hmm who's right MR or Happy. As mine light on the dash doesn't come up. either. Did once when I pulled the plug out of the socket and turned the ignition on...

Dmwlking
1st August 2013, 10:05 AM
a quick fix is isolate the battery for 10 minutes and retest your sub tank. it clears the fault. if light comes back on dash you might have a fault with pump or wiring.

Wayne P
3rd August 2013, 09:14 AM
I'm in the process of getting a 2007 Runabout and was just wondering about the two tanks. From what I have been told the sub tank is above the main. When the main is about half full I can hit the switch to top it up from the Sub. What is the reason for the two tanks? Why not just have one big tank? Just wondering.