PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise in the front

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 12:05 AM
Hi guy I need your help again. Just headed of for a weekend trip around Healsville. A faint whining noise started earlier today and got noisier at the end of the day. it got as loud as the engine. What could it be and can I finish the two day trip before getting it looked at. It sounds like driving with noisy mud tyres.

happygu
27th July 2013, 12:16 AM
Could be alternator on the way out or dirt in the bearings / brushes ..... could be water pump ( but less likely ) ... could be belt tensioner.

Which engine?

Mic

Woodsta1704
27th July 2013, 01:07 AM
Was it a screeching type noise or just a whine?

Woody

Clunk
27th July 2013, 01:10 AM
Is the missus with ya?

My folks went to the Google Play Store and all they got me was this lousy Motorculture App!!!!!!!

Woodsta1704
27th July 2013, 01:13 AM
Bahahaha Awesome reply Clunk Love it :)

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 08:58 AM
Mic
Is a humming noise.

Tony

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 09:01 AM
Oh and mic
The frequency of the humming changes with road speed. And while I am driving and I pull it out of gear, the noise is still there.
Tony

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 09:05 AM
Clunk the car noise was louder than the misses.

threedogs
27th July 2013, 09:07 AM
Alternator for sure, had a small squeak at idle a while back that disappeared with an increase in rpm,
Driving home end of alternator snapped off. Remove and repair asap

happygu
27th July 2013, 09:59 AM
If it is that loud, you should be able to isolate the source by lifting the bonnet and having a listen.

One tip is to grab a long screwdriver, and carefully and safely, place the tip of the screwdriver against a non-rotating part on the place where you think the noise is coming from ( I.E Place it against the body of the alternator ), and then place your ear to the handle end, as this will magnify the sound, and help you to determine where it is originating from.

Still not sure which engine you have, and what type of fanbelts, but you can also remove a belt ( for a short period of time only), to see if the noise clears when the part isn't in operation. This too can help.

Mic

threedogs
27th July 2013, 10:50 AM
How about fanbelt tensioner/Pulley, is it auto or manual

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 11:04 AM
Mic
It's not the engine. It sounds like the front trani or wheel hub. When travelling the frequency is directly proportional to road speed. I have taken it out of gear and free wheeled the noise is still there. Could be that water has got into the wheel hub. I have done some creek crossing a couple of weeks ago. Does the wheel hub need regular greasing.
Tony

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 11:07 AM
Mic
I have a Nissan patrol 2008 dx with zd30

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 11:08 AM
threedogs
It's a manual32242

happygu
27th July 2013, 12:13 PM
OK AJ,
Jack up the front wheels, leave them unlocked and spin one at a time, and listen for grinding noises. That will give you an idea if it is in one of the wheel bearings or brakes.

If nothing there, then with both wheels off the ground, lock the hubs, and spin the wheels. If you then hear the noise, it may be within the hub itself or diff. Unlock one at a time to see if it changes to isolate which side.

If no noises, then it goes back further to the transfer case, and check oils for contaminants.

Mic

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 04:54 PM
Mic
Because I only have a car jack available, I could only lift one wheel at a time. No grinding noise found. It would seem the wheel bearings are ok.
Question; When the hub is unlocked nothing else is rotating in the front trani? Is this right?
AJ

happygu
27th July 2013, 06:04 PM
AJ,

If the hubs are unlocked, they are just spinning freely on the wheel bearings ....

Locking the Hubs will lock the hub to the axle, and spinning the wheel will then turn the axle.

I just replaced a front hub on the family Falcon, as the sealed wheel bearings were cactus, but when spinning it by hand, it was fairly quiet and you would have thought it was OK. Replacing the hub certainly fixed the grinding noise though .... :animierte-smilies-t

Don't automatically discount the wheel bearings even though you cant hear anything when spinning them slowly.

Mic

Ajwood
27th July 2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks mic
I hope i was not a bother to you. It's got me out of a jam. And learnt a lot. I let you know what we find. Over and out
AJ

Ajwood
1st August 2013, 11:42 AM
I have found the cause of the winning in the front end. It was the passenger side wheel bearing. It wasn't the misses. Some of the rollers have badly damaged. Not sure why. The grease seal in good nick. The grease has no water in it.

Thanks to all for your help and advice

AJ

Ajwood
1st August 2013, 05:09 PM
Just back from a test drive. No more whining in the front. Job closed. I recommend re-greasing if you are not sure when it was done last. Not sure how often it should be looked at?
It not hard to do it yourself. I reckon the bush should grease every five years.
AJ

Terry T
15th June 2023, 12:58 PM
I have a 2013 Nissan Patrol 5.6 V8. There is a Whining noise coming from the Engine area until the engine warms up a bit. A Mechanic friend checked pulleys and Alternator but couldn't locate for sure where the noise is coming from. Its sounds a metalic noise and can be quite loud until the vehicle warms up. Any advise would be appreciated. Terry