PDA

View Full Version : Hi All!

Supa
26th July 2013, 01:28 PM
Hi All
Just thought I would introduce myself.
I live in Sydney and currently drive a 2000 3.0l GU ST wagon. I have owned it for 11 years and I really love this car. It’s has been reliable and whilst it’s no sprinter I’ve never felt that it hasn’t had the power to do what I want.

It’s been to Cape York twice, most recently 2 weeks ago, Victorian high country, Flinders Ranges, the list goes on.

I have decided it’s time to upgrade cars. The current Patrol has done just over 200,000km and I just don’t feel confident taking into remote areas anymore. I have read too many horror stories about the tendency for this model to fail dramatically. I’m also sick of being told I’m driving a time bomb, although if I get another 3liter I will still get that from some it would appear.

During my research I came across this forum and have found a huge amount of great information and thought it would be well worth while to sign up.

This weekend I will be making the rounds of some of the car yards around Sydney looking for my new chariot. Currently looking at 2008-2009 cab chassis with ex Telstra body. I have read some great info on this site about these bodies and they seem to be pretty reliable. Having looks at some of the builds on this site I have about 1000 ideas to turn this thing into a great tourer (thanks to all who contribute their ideas by the way).

There seem to be a few around pretty much good to go, with, snorkel, bull bar etc , for around $30K with around 100,000 – 140,000km on the clock.

I plan to cross the Simpson next year and the following year the missus and I will be touring the country for about 6 months so looking for something that will go the distance.

I would appreciate any heads up about what to look out for when buying the car. I was also after some feedback about suspension. I have polyair bags, king springs and tough dogs in my current patrol and it really is very comfortable, especially on corrugations. I have read that rear leaf springs aren’t as nice a ride but just how different is it? Are there any advantages/ disadvantages of leaf springs over coils?

Anyway thanks in advance for any feedback.
Cheers
Supa

threedogs
26th July 2013, 01:36 PM
Hi Supa and welcome as you found out heaps of tips and info here for.
So jump in anytime and enjoy,
Basically leaf springs are better at carrying loads than coils, Not quite the ride you are used too.
Utes are prone to cracking around the rear shock mounts but weld on/bolt on kits are readily available.
Stick around plenty of fun to be had,

-=[CRIDA]=-
26th July 2013, 01:47 PM
welcome to the forum supa hope we can all help you as best as we can. enjoy your 4wd and enjoy life

Dhuck
26th July 2013, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
26th July 2013, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, good intro!

Feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

growler2058
26th July 2013, 07:16 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard plenty of good info here

MEGOMONSTER
26th July 2013, 10:08 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

DX grunt
26th July 2013, 10:10 PM
G'day Supa.

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Woodsta1704
26th July 2013, 10:15 PM
Welcome aboard mate. Am sure you'll find the info you're looking for!! Good luck with finding the new truck!!!!

Avo
26th July 2013, 10:19 PM
welcome mate,pull up a chair and enjoy.great forum,great people.

cheers

NissanGQ4.2
26th July 2013, 10:20 PM
Welcome 2 the forum

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 held out when they can

With your questions post them up under the correct section as not all members read the intro section

Cheers

Toddie

Supa
28th July 2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.