PDA

View Full Version : Vibration...

Evo
26th July 2013, 12:07 AM
Hey guys,

Just trying to work out what is going on with my troll.
On takeoff (first gear) there's some vibration from, I think, the rear.
Occasionally happens in second gear if revs are low.
Only happens from standing start and low rev second gear, but nothing when cruising, or slowing down.

Has me baffled...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Evo

threedogs
26th July 2013, 08:23 AM
Clutch {drive plate} could be slightly warped.
Need a bit more info too please like model/motor/auto or Manual.
All I know is its a patrol

AB
26th July 2013, 08:58 AM
What engine mate?

The TD42's do it a fair bit when taking off at low revs or in second. The engine can do a harmonic vibration and can also send the vibrations down the line as well through to exhaust, etc.

Also you could check that the engine mounts are in order and tight.

Tonks
26th July 2013, 12:08 PM
Mine is the 4.2 and has gearbox chatter in first and second at low revs, it's quite normal

surgio
26th July 2013, 12:21 PM
Mine too, 1200 rpm and it stops the noise! Just doesn't sound good!

florix
26th July 2013, 06:25 PM
I have a similar issue with my TD42Ti manual. Recently noticed that it has a shudder in the rear when taking off occasionally. I have gone through and replaced the LSD oil and it helped a fair bit. Doesn't matter if its slow or fast on speed or clutch she will do it at random. I am in a way glad that people are saying its "normal" but surely everybody doesnt just live with it.

Evo
26th July 2013, 11:45 PM
Sorry guys, it's a series 1 GU 4.5 manual.

happygu
27th July 2013, 12:21 AM
Evo,

Have you checked the easy things like uni joints or rotated tyres front to back ?

Mic

Woodsta1704
27th July 2013, 01:04 AM
When did it last have a service? Did the diff oils get replaced? Have you been through any water lately? If so have you modified your rear diff breather tube to a higher position?

If the incorrect diff oil has been put in the LSD this will cause it to shudder, particularly going around corners. same principle applies if there is water ingress in the diff.

Evo
27th July 2013, 01:00 PM
Mic, tyres are basically new.

Haven't been through any water, last service was only motor oil and filter and gearbox oil.
Due for another one soon.
Just started randomly one day an has been annoying me ever since.

happygu
27th July 2013, 04:59 PM
Evo,

It probably isn't the tyres, as these would most likely give you a vibration with faster speeds, but just because the tyres are newish, it doesn't mean that they won't go out of round - they are probably more likely to go out of round earlier on, rather than later on......

As your is now coming up to a few years old, I would probably check all your suspension bushes especially rear panhard bushes for your problem.

Mic