PDA

View Full Version : Vic roads misspelt my vin number

AB
24th July 2013, 09:14 PM
I was looking at my rego sticker today and noticed vic roads stuffed up my vin number. They misspelt my vin number...

Instead of td42xxxxx they have (ironically) tb42xxxxxx

Should I contact them about this or just let it be?

I'm not too keen on bringing the car in for a check for obvious reasons...lol

Winnie
24th July 2013, 09:15 PM
You've been lying about the diesel the whole time!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

AB
24th July 2013, 09:16 PM
I find it strange how it was misspelt to tb42...lol.....coincidence?

Winnie
24th July 2013, 09:19 PM
Maybe somebody at VicRoads is in the know and did it to dampen your spirits.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Cuppa
24th July 2013, 09:36 PM
Just give'em a ring & ask what is required to get the number rectified. Don't give any identifying details. They may just say they can issue a new sticker. If they want to see the vehicle you'll have to decide what you reckon is the worse of two evils.

Cuppa

mudnut
24th July 2013, 09:41 PM
tb instead of td... hmmm, the plot thickens...

NissanGQ4.2
24th July 2013, 09:44 PM
Yes you should............. but I'm sure it will be drama's if VIC Roads is anything like NSW RTA

Drewboyaus
24th July 2013, 10:12 PM
Yes you should............. but I'm sure it will be drama's if VIC Roads is anything like NSW RTA

Yeah, when I went to get my last road bike re-registered they accused me of running a stolen engine in a bike I'd had from new?????
Dickheads had written the engine number down wrong but I had to clear it with the cops and the whole ducking nine yards.
Well pissed off with it.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

growler2058
24th July 2013, 10:12 PM
Say NADDA
Like Sgt Schultz "I know nothing......nothing"

Stropp
25th July 2013, 04:59 PM
problem is when they pull you up for a check they will go wtf and probably fine you for not changing your engine number ?? with them.

NissanGQ4.2
25th July 2013, 05:33 PM
problem is when they pull you up for a check they will go wtf and probably fine you for not changing your engine number ?? with them.

Yeh I would say you would be in for a fine, but you will probable have more drama's than a fine..............the police will probably think the car is stolen if the vin number doesn't match what they have on records which I assume they would get from the RTA.

You should not need to take the 4b 2 them, just take in your paper work and get them 2 change it, I assume this is not your first rego for the old girl so do you have the old rego papers with the correct vin# on it???

Winnie
25th July 2013, 05:34 PM
Even if you do take it to them they cannot issue defects. That is a job for police.

Trying to use Motorculture

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2013, 05:38 PM
reckon they had a Dyslexic moment and read a d as a b and just typed it wrong. Ring them, take it in and they will either come and look at the engine number and be happy of just do it over the counter.

The VIN number is How many letters and numbers? all the other digits are correct. Human Error, dont worry at all mate. You car is pretty tame to look at mate, they wont look sideways at it bud.

NissanGQ4.2
25th July 2013, 05:42 PM
Even if you do take it to them they cannot issue defects. That is a job for police.

Are you sure Winnie? I'm pretty sure our NSW mobile RTA has the powers to defect cars but usually they pick on truck drivers. Also some of our RTA branches do rego inspections I believe so they can de-fect your car.

Maybe Vicroads is different to ours

janderson
25th July 2013, 05:52 PM
Vic roads had mine down as an auto. Always been a manual. When I rang they said it’s just a mistake. And changed it over the phone. However when I found they had the size of my trailer that I have had since new (for 15 years) I had to take it in to be inspected.

nissannewby
25th July 2013, 07:52 PM
That's your engine number. Your vin should start with JN1. Or are all numbers required like here in qld for your rego?

AB
25th July 2013, 07:58 PM
That's your engine number. Your vin should start with JN1. Or are all numbers required like here in qld for your rego?

Hey mate, yeah I made a typo myself...lol...I'm talking about the engine number.

Well I sussed it out today and when I bought it, my mechanic who issued the RWC wrote the correct number down and they still kept it at TB42XXXXX

I still have the original receipt from the bloke who bought it from Nissan in 1990, it all checks out but I also found some old rego stickers that he used to keep in the log book and it says TB42XXXX so Vicroads stuffed up many many years ago and no one has noticed since. Even when I transferred it over they still didn't notice it.

I am going to do the right thing and take it in....Big clean up this weekend...lol

NissanGQ4.2
25th July 2013, 07:58 PM

Correct that is the engine number not VIN

My engine number is also on my Rego paperwork

Regardless if you don't change it AB you might have troubles explaining the incorrect engine # if you get pulled up and they do a check on your 4b

AB
25th July 2013, 08:06 PM
I forgot to mention, I rung them today and they have to site the number themselves not just over the phone....yipee frigging do da!

Woof
25th July 2013, 08:15 PM
We don't have that issue............................................. ............................................we don't have rego stickers...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/1.gif

NissanGQ4.2
25th July 2013, 08:24 PM
We don't have that issue............................................. ............................................we don't have rego stickers...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/1.gif

What issue Wayne???? we don't have rego stickers either and the police only need to run your plate to get all the details they need

Limmy
28th July 2013, 09:39 AM
do you have copy of last RWC ? I know when you transfer rego , they give you the copy back

AB
28th July 2013, 10:12 AM
I have the RWC from when I bought it, the correct number was put on but they still left it as TB42.

I found the original receipt from when the previous owner bought it in 1990 from Nissan and the right number was on the receipt. I also found some old rego stickers he kept and some of them had TB42 so the mistake from Vicroads happened a long time ago and even when I transferred it into my name they still didn't pick it up.

I'm going to go in there next week and sort it all out.

growler2058
28th July 2013, 11:04 AM
Que suspenseful impending doom music on Monday :)

choppie
28th July 2013, 11:50 AM
reckon they had a Dyslexic moment and read a d as a b and just typed it wrong. Ring them, take it in and they will either come and look at the engine number and be happy of just do it over the counter.

The VIN number is How many letters and numbers? all the other digits are correct. Human Error, dont worry at all mate. You car is pretty tame to look at mate, they wont look sideways at it bud.

It's not the car they will look sideways at MR, sorry AB couldn't let it go LMFAO

AB
28th July 2013, 01:25 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/114.jpg

AB
29th July 2013, 10:34 AM
Yay!!!!!

All done. I had to take it into the pits and there were a heap of assessors there checking over vehicles. Very bloody nervous....

I just putted in second gear and quietly rolled in...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Bloodyaussie
29th July 2013, 05:21 PM
See told you sweat cakes!!!!!!

taslucas
29th July 2013, 05:53 PM
So they misspelt your vin number, is that like a pin number or an atm machine?

AB
29th July 2013, 06:42 PM

Engine number...not sure why I said vin.

So glad that's all sorted. I felt somewhat dirty with tb42 written on my car...lol

taslucas
29th July 2013, 07:19 PM

So glad that's all sorted. I felt somewhat dirty with tb42 written on my car...lol

and it was a good type of dirty, you know at random times through the day youll find yourself day dreaming about getting a TB.

Bob
29th July 2013, 07:22 PM
and it was a good type of dirty, you know at random times through the day youll find yourself day dreaming about getting a TB.

and here to help you out Andy LOL

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/craigieburn/cars-vans-utes/gq-patrol-maverick/1021694905

GQ TANK
30th July 2013, 05:09 PM
With the wrong number it could have caused I other issues - ie insurance claim, selling the vehicle etc

AB
30th July 2013, 06:41 PM
With the wrong number it could have caused I other issues - ie insurance claim, selling the vehicle etc

The Vicroads bloke wouldn't give me a new sticker either.

NissanGQ4.2
30th July 2013, 06:46 PM
The Vicroads bloke wouldn't give me a new sticker either.

You guys still use rego stickers????

Winnie
30th July 2013, 06:48 PM
Only until next year

mudski
31st July 2013, 04:34 PM
DW Lucas. I got what you meant...:wink: