PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff Lock.

Kurt Bergmann
24th July 2013, 11:47 AM
I have just recently purchases a new Patrol and still are waiting for the owners manual to arrive. When I picked the Patrol up the sales person advised that I can manually lock the front diff through the hubs to create a front diff locker. Does anybody know if this is true?

threedogs
24th July 2013, 11:54 AM
No my take would be you have auto hubs ATM similar to AWD then when
you select 4wd you can lock your front hubs which in turn will lock in your front axles
you can then select hi/low 4wd

Kurt Bergmann
24th July 2013, 01:04 PM
you select 4wd you can lock your front hubs which in turn will lock in your front axles

Thanks For That! One of our club guys thinks the same as you also. Hopefully we will be enlighten once the manual turns up. I will let you know.

NissanGQ4.2
24th July 2013, 04:43 PM

I would agree with TD, post up a pic of your hubs and we should be able to tell you if they are auto locking hubs or manual hubs

mudski
24th July 2013, 05:49 PM
Geez I wish that's all I needed to do to get a diff lock instead of removing the whole front end and then putting it back together. Obviously the sales guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

happygu
24th July 2013, 06:14 PM
I have just recently purchases a new Patrol and still are waiting for the owners manual to arrive. When I picked the Patrol up the sales person advised that I can manually lock the front diff through the hubs to create a front diff locker. Does anybody know if this is true?

Definitely wont have a locked front diff from the Factory Floor .... only the rear diff comes standard in the new GU8 Y61 as a Difflock.

Mic

oncedisturbed
25th July 2013, 01:54 AM
as other's have said, they will be auto hubs that engage when out into 4 hi or 4 low, you canuse your tyre lever to manually engage them as well. the benefit of manually engaging them is that they won't dis-engage when in reverse which is what the auto's have a tendancy of doing

Kurt Bergmann
25th July 2013, 10:12 AM
as other's have said, they will be auto hubs that engage when out into 4 hi or 4 low, you canuse your tyre lever to manually engage them as well. the benefit of manually engaging them is that they won't dis-engage when in reverse which is what the auto's have a tendancy of doing Thanks for all the feed back. I had a closer look this morning and I am pretty sure it is where you can have auto or manual engagement. I have attached a photo of the hub, lets know if this is wrong. If I had the bloody manuel!! this would of be solved in 2 minutes. Once again thanks.

Stropp
25th July 2013, 01:09 PM
definately auto hubs mate, btw its not a diff lock as such but it drives the front wheels when engaged.

threedogs
25th July 2013, 02:09 PM
Auto hubs around town and moderate 4x4 in auto, to tackle the tougher stuff turn to lock using tyre tool.
DONT DRIVE ON THE ROAD IN THE LOCKED POSITION, you'll end up with a bad case of wind up.
If you cant for some reason re select HI just reverse up 50mtrs or so to "unwind" drive train

Kurt Bergmann
25th July 2013, 02:35 PM
Auto hubs around town and moderate 4x4 in auto, to tackle the tougher stuff turn to lock using tyre tool.
DONT DRIVE ON THE ROAD IN THE LOCKED POSITION, you'll end up with a bad case of wind up.
If you cant for some reason re select HI just reverse up 50mtrs or so to "unwind" drive train

Thanks again guys, good to know how it all works!!!

Waka
25th July 2013, 03:00 PM
Geez, I remember when mine looked all new and shinny like that....I've never locked mine in manually before, can't say I've ever had them disengage whilst in 4wd. The old paj used to come out if in reverse though.

I'm suprised to hear a Car salesmen not knowing his talking about.....not!

Waka

Kurt Bergmann
25th July 2013, 09:47 PM
Geez, I remember when mine looked all new and shinny like that....I've never locked mine in manually before, can't say I've ever had them disengage whilst in 4wd. The old paj used to come out if in reverse though.

I'm suprised to hear a Car salesmen not knowing his talking about.....not!

Waka

Yeah, sure nice and shinny now, won't be long before the bush pin stripes (probaly this weekend as I have 4WD club training). I also had the old Paj when I did offroading before and I know what you are talking about with regards to the hubs. Looking forward to having 4 wheels on the ground with the Patrol....Paj had one wheel in the air more than it had 4 wheels on the ground.

Dave n xanths gu
28th July 2013, 08:29 PM
I've never touched my hubs I just thought auto... I may sound like an idiot but is it wise to lock the manually now n then???

YNOT
28th July 2013, 08:31 PM
I've never touched my hubs I just thought auto... I may sound like an idiot but is it wise to lock the manually now n then???

Engaging the front hubs occasionally and going for a drive is a good idea, it keeps everything in the front end moving and lubricated.

Kurt Bergmann
29th July 2013, 11:25 AM
Engaging the front hubs occasionally and going for a drive is a good idea, it keeps everything in the front end moving and lubricated. Just took the new patrol out yesterday and used the tool in the tool bag and moved the nut to lock. The club members advised this was the better set up up as sometimes the auto hubs can disengage in some situations. STILL NO OWNERS MANUAL, NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS TELSTRA. Pity their C/S is not as good as their cars!

BigRAWesty
29th July 2013, 06:23 PM
Some say locking is stronger than auto aswell. But that's debatable.
But yes, I'd manually lock each time (I do anyway with my GQ) because they can disengage is some situations, but if your in a 2wd section just put it in 2H. The front is an open diff so even with both hubs locked you will not damage anything.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Kurt Bergmann
31st July 2013, 08:45 AM
Cheers. Thanks for the tip.

threedogs
31st July 2013, 03:11 PM
Car salesman only knows how to draw up contract and what accessories he can give to seal the deal,
you the buyer would know more about a new Nissan Patrol as you researched it, salesman didn't.
He only wants his commission.