PDA

View Full Version : Auto over manual

Hodgey
24th July 2013, 06:15 AM
I am looking at buying a Gu3 2004 3l td 4sp auto. Until now I wanted a manual so can anybody advice how the auto's go in the bush or should I keep looking for a manual? ?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Motorculture mobile app

rochjas
24th July 2013, 10:38 AM
I am looking at buying a Gu3 2004 3l td 4sp auto. Until now I wanted a manual so can anybody advice how the auto's go in the bush or should I keep looking for a manual? ?

Hi Hodgey

I purchased an auto 2005 3ltr in Sept last year... I too wanted a manual.... But with towing a 1.5 ton camper, I found an Auto with most of the kit I wanted on my 4WD.... I went for a 4wd with a mate.. He has a manual Patrol.... 3ltr as well... We found that the auto was better on the open road, but when it came 4wding, The auto ran away a bit on declines. I always found myself feathering the brake... Where as in the manual, select the right gear and you just let the car do the work.... But I have heard that towing in a manual patrol 3ltr they wear out 5th gear quickly.... Just my 2 cents worth

Hodgey
24th July 2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks rochjas, that is the exact 2cents worth I was looking for.

taslucas
24th July 2013, 12:49 PM
Autos are superior offroad with the only downside being the lack of engine braking for descending hills. Really good for throttle control on steeper technical stuff. Really good for cruising and crawling

threedogs
24th July 2013, 01:09 PM
Other than down hill auto is the go, for a minimum cost you can "manualise" the auto.
Do a search to find out more, a few here have done it with good results

Coldcomfort
24th July 2013, 01:15 PM
Auto's really come into their own in deep sand. Gear change downs are instantanious....

TPC
24th July 2013, 01:20 PM
My last 4WD was an auto and I now have a manual and I prefer the manual off road in most cases, just a matter of picking the best gear for the situation.
I don't think I would change back to an auto.

growler2058
24th July 2013, 02:06 PM
Autos are superior offroad with the only downside being the lack of engine braking for descending hills. Really good for throttle control on steeper technical stuff. Really good for cruising and crawling

Autos are for those with poor/no hand eye foot coordination

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

rochjas
24th July 2013, 02:28 PM

Ouch!!!!
That was a bit below the belt.. Between the legs....

I agree with the sand. I use to have a manual 4wd... I hated the sand... Now starting to enjoy sand driving due to the auto box in my Patrol.... Also agree with better control offroad... It's just the declines that take practice.

taslucas
24th July 2013, 03:12 PM

Me growler, me use stick, me drive good

threedogs
24th July 2013, 03:32 PM
LOL Lucas growler still got hair on his stick,
Wont be able to buy a manual 4x4 soon let alone a live axle
Only in Museums is yours a collectors item??

taslucas
24th July 2013, 03:53 PM
Nah, with the nomad valvebody she's the latest tech!

growler2058
24th July 2013, 04:06 PM
Me growler, me use stick, me drive good

And don't you know it!!

mudski
24th July 2013, 08:13 PM

And for pussy's! Lol.

happygu
24th July 2013, 09:11 PM
Go the Auto.....

I have only had manual 4x4s, but the current autos make wheeling easier

Mic

Drewboyaus
24th July 2013, 10:24 PM
It's just the declines that take practice.

For what it's worth, there is a particular technique for descending steep hills you should use when driving an auto. It is called "driving through the brakes" you should learn about it and master it if you drive an auto rather than "feathering the brake".
You can also buy toque converter lockouts than give you much closer to 1:1 engine braking in an auto.

BTW I drive a manual. The only way to 'wheel.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Drewboyaus
24th July 2013, 10:30 PM

Isn't that who Lokka's are designed for??????? LMAO

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Limmy
25th July 2013, 04:12 PM
If this car is strictly for 4x4 and not your daily. then get a manual

But if its your daily , you should weight up which transmission you rather be driving the rest of the time when you're not offroad

Really depends if you live out in the country or in the city . My last manual was my hilux , stopping and starting during city traffic sucked.

Be a lot different if I was in the country with open roads

threedogs
25th July 2013, 05:06 PM
I heard from a guy years ago to load up the torque convertor before decending, he used it with great success.
Drove my last manual for 350,000 plus k. Loving the Auto, turn key drive sooooo easy, no driver input required doh

taslucas
25th July 2013, 05:24 PM
If this car is strictly for 4x4 and not your daily. then get a manual

But if its your daily , you should weight up which transmission you rather be driving the rest of the time when you're not offroad

Really depends if you live out in the country or in the city . My last manual was my hilux , stopping and starting during city traffic sucked.

Be a lot different if I was in the country with open roads

Have to disagree mate, I don't mind driving a manual in traffic (not that we get much here haha) but I wouldn't drive anything but an auto when the going gets rough, steep, slippery, technical

Limmy
25th July 2013, 06:07 PM
lol threedogs

http://onscreencars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/TheHomer.jpg

Winnie
25th July 2013, 06:11 PM
Have to disagree mate, I don't mind driving a manual in traffic (not that we get much here haha) but I wouldn't drive anything but an auto when the going gets rough, steep, slippery, technical

Thats because you're not talented enough to do it yourself.

Trying to use Motorculture

taslucas
25th July 2013, 06:25 PM
Thats because you're not talented enough to do it yourself.

Trying to use Motorculture

There's something about constant torque that wins everytime. I was driving a manual 4wd before you owned a 4wd, and I bet I could still get one further than you poo! I'll get to see you in action in October though. I'll hold your can for ya:-)

growler2058
25th July 2013, 06:47 PM

Blah blah blah