PDA

View Full Version : Diff oil smell

Clunk
23rd July 2013, 09:49 PM
Evening gents, tried to find the info but had no luck.........

I've just noticed the smell of diff oil coming from the rear drivers side after the drive home from work, so I'm guessing a seal has given up somewhere, there's no visible sign of anything leaking anywhere. Haven't had chance to crank open the diff nut yet to check oil level.

So a few questions
1. Will it be ok to carry on driving? Its my daily driver so don't have an thing else available and currently no funds to fix it.
2. If the oil level is below the filler, should I just top it up?
3. If a seal has gone, is this a hard job to fix or will it need to be done by a workshop?

Thanks in advance.

My folks went to the Google Play Store and all they got me was this lousy Motorculture App!!!!!!!

nissannewby
23rd July 2013, 09:52 PM
Not a hard job. I would say if you can smell it its more likely the rear but either way its an easy job. Last time I bought axle seals for the front they were only about $4 ea. and it should be right to just top it up.

mudski
23rd July 2013, 09:55 PM
Evening gents, tried to find the info but had no luck.........

I've just noticed the smell of diff oil coming from the rear drivers side after the drive home from work, so I'm guessing a seal has given up somewhere, there's no visible sign of anything leaking anywhere. Haven't had chance to crank open the diff nut yet to check oil level.

So a few questions
1. Will it be ok to carry on driving? Its my daily driver so don't have an thing else available and currently no funds to fix it. Depending on what you find...If theres no leaks, carry on. You could have driven over a patched of oil and gotten a little spray up in the guards and thats what you can smell.
2. If the oil level is below the filler, should I just top it up? Yes
3. If a seal has gone, is this a hard job to fix or will it need to be done by a workshop? Sorry I have never done a rear seal, but I think the bearing needs to be pressed off to replace the seal. I Think.

Thanks in advance.

My folks went to the Google Play Store and all they got me was this lousy Motorculture App!!!!!!!

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 10:02 PM
If you have the same type of rear axle (Coil springs with Discs) as my 94 GQ, I was advised to just change the inner axle seal and pack a heap of grease into the bearings. That was two years ago and it hasn't leaked since. Good luck with it.

Clunk
23rd July 2013, 10:05 PM
Cheers Fellas.......... Mudnut, same year as yours mate

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 10:09 PM
I have a bad back, and I found the only real problem was sliding the axle back in without it resting on the new seal, because it is fragile, and will wreck it.

YNOT
23rd July 2013, 10:10 PM
The inner axle seal keeps the diff oil contained in the diff, if there is oil running down your brake backing plate/s then the seal/s have failed. Seals will need to be replaced and wheels bearings will need to be repacked with grease. If there is no visible leaks you might just be smelling diff oil vapour from the breather.

Clunk
23rd July 2013, 10:50 PM
Thx Tony, just had a quick check..... Well as best as I could see in the dark. No visible signs of leakage on the backing plates. Why would it smell so strong, never done so before and why only on the drivers side?

BigRAWesty
24th July 2013, 02:20 AM
Are there outside and inside seals in the rear diff also?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

93patrol
24th July 2013, 02:56 AM
i get the same smell Clunk but only when i am really pushing the old girl and i have no gearbox or diff seal leaks and just figured it was from the breathers

Rustyboner81
24th July 2013, 03:35 AM
Clunk if you do end up doing some work on it in the driveway give me a call (if you still got my number) i'll give you a hand if you need it.

But im back next thursday

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Motorculture mobile app

YNOT
24th July 2013, 06:24 AM
Are there outside and inside seals in the rear diff also?

Yes there are, the inner seals (axle seals) are easy to replace in the rear.

Rustyboner81
29th July 2013, 10:01 AM
been thinking....sure its gear oil and not cooked wheel bearing grease?

threedogs
29th July 2013, 10:06 AM
Rear diff breather or ARB rear air locker fitted??

greengupatrol
29th July 2013, 10:25 AM
repair asap or it could possibly get into the breaks and mess up your breaks aswell meaning more money to be spent !!

Clunk
29th July 2013, 10:25 AM
been thinking....sure its gear oil and not cooked wheel bearing grease?

Note sure what wheel bearing grease smells like. Not done them before.

Clunk
29th July 2013, 10:26 AM
Rear diff breather or ARB rear air locker fitted??

Negative on both TD

threedogs
29th July 2013, 01:41 PM
It's not oil dripping down the back of your motor, that's hard to pick up just by lifting the bonnet.
Would have tell tale signs underneath if it was leaking from there.

Clunk
29th July 2013, 03:06 PM
It's not oil dripping down the back of your motor, that's hard to pick up just by lifting the bonnet.
Would have tell tale signs underneath if it was leaking from there.

smell is definitely coming from the rear drivers side only, can only smell it from the outside of the car. Oil level in the diff appears to be just fine and still no visible signs for leakage on the brake backing plates or anywhere in that vicinity. some days the smell is stronger than others.

so could possibly be what russ has suggested!!!!!!?????? but it does smell very much like diff oil.

threedogs
29th July 2013, 03:12 PM
Maybe if you have diff breathers fitted the tube is broken or if OE its only an inverted cup on rubber hose, bound to smell.
I'd probable look in the diff breather area, and maybe change rear diff oil.
Hard for smell to come through steel diff housing.

Alitis007
29th July 2013, 03:17 PM
Clunk, when you get a chance just pull the wheel and disc off and have a closer look, that way for sure your eliminating the seals

Clunk
29th July 2013, 03:53 PM
Clunk, when you get a chance just pull the wheel and disc off and have a closer look, that way for sure your eliminating the seals

Thanks Georgina, will have to wait for the weekend to have a go..... too dark by the time I get home.

Alitis007
29th July 2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks Georgina, will have to wait for the weekend to have a go..... too dark by the time I get home.

What you scared of the dark clunka?? Lol over here on the east coast we have these handy tools called a lead light :D

Hey its not fair!! Lol i don't know your first name so i can change it to a female name :( i can only say something catchy like, You got some clunk in your junk hahaha

Clunk
29th July 2013, 08:07 PM
What you scared of the dark clunka?? Lol over here on the east coast we have these handy tools called a lead light :D

Hey its not fair!! Lol i don't know your first name so i can change it to a female name :( i can only say something catchy like, You got some clunk in your junk hahaha

It's scary when it's dark, specially when I've not removed discs before. Need to make sure I've got plenty of time to do it seeing as it's my daily driver too.

Rustyboner81
29th July 2013, 09:08 PM
Its easy with tools

Alitis007
29th July 2013, 09:26 PM
It's scary when it's dark, specially when I've not removed discs before. Need to make sure I've got plenty of time to do it seeing as it's my daily driver too.

Its not that daunting mate, the rear discs pretty much fall off. You can remove the caliper and cradle in 1 piece with the pads still in there so you only remove 2 bolts or remove the caliper then cradle, up to you but i would recommend that you use Locktight super stud lock on the cradle bolts for added security when your assembling it.

I'll take a couple of pics pointing out which bolts i'm talking about tomorrow if you like ??

Edit: forgot to mention that the discs are hats so a bit of "gentle persuasion" with a hammer knocks them off and a lil bit of crc / wd40 around center helps aswell.

Clunk
29th July 2013, 10:17 PM
I'll take a couple of pics pointing out which bolts i'm talking about tomorrow if you like ??.

Only if it's not too much trouble mate but not if it means going out of your way

Alitis007
29th July 2013, 11:05 PM
Only if it's not too much trouble mate but not if it means going out of your way

Piece of piss mate, when i jump on my lunch break i'll dive under it and take a few snaps

Clunk
29th July 2013, 11:50 PM
Piece of piss mate, when i jump on my lunch break i'll dive under it and take a few snaps

mate, your a bloody good bloke, I'm glad I dont listen to what other folk say about you!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 01:15 AM
i just had a look at my pics and i have a selection of pics of taking the rear axle out of a GU but did not take pics of removing the calliper. 2 bolts Clunk and it will come right off mate. then as George stated the rear disk is floating and a couple of taps with a rubber mallet and you will be nursing it.

If you want the pics of taking the axle out then let me know mate. You'd only do that if you have a leaking inner axle seal bud.

threedogs
30th July 2013, 06:43 AM
two words stand out from MR that's TAP and RUBBER. LOL

Rustyboner81
30th July 2013, 07:03 AM
http://blip.tv/ericthecarguy/how-to-replace-front-pads-and-rotors-4880728

Rustyboner81
30th July 2013, 07:05 AM
Clunk buddy, sit back with a grolsh and watch a few of this guys videos.

I pretty much taught myself from this guy and ive done head gaskets, valve timing, clutch replacement etc.

Alitis007
30th July 2013, 10:51 PM
Ok clunksta this is the caliper bolt
And this is the caliper cradle bolt

Clunk
31st July 2013, 01:31 AM
Cheers mate, very much appreciated. So besides loctite, socket set and a hammer, any other tools I may need? Got chassis stands from Repcos sale the other week so all good there............

Rustyboner81
31st July 2013, 02:38 AM
A big flat head screw driver. Its easier to release the brake pads off the rotor before taking the caliper off.

Some brake cleaner to get the grease off from your hands.

threedogs
31st July 2013, 10:29 AM
When you remove the wheel place rim behind you under chassis rail.
Added precaution

Rustyboner81
31st July 2013, 06:36 PM
Have you done it yet mate?

Clunk
31st July 2013, 07:10 PM
Have you done it yet mate?

Nah man, will have to wait until Saturday

Rustyboner81
31st July 2013, 07:31 PM
I'll come give you a hand mate. Im home tomorrow.

I'll send you a text on friday

Clunk
31st July 2013, 11:41 PM
Cheers mate, I'll make sure there's a couple of coldies in the fridge

Alitis007
31st July 2013, 11:50 PM
Cheers mate, very much appreciated. So besides loctite, socket set and a hammer, any other tools I may need? Got chassis stands from Repcos sale the other week so all good there............

You might need an open ended 17mm spanner to stop the caliper slide from turning while you are undoing the caliper bolt if you decide to remove the caliper and cradle in 2 pieces. A flat screw driver to push the piston back like Rusty said is a winner too, just don't push it too far coz you will push the fluid out of the brake master cylinder and you'll have to poor water of it straight away coz brake fluid peels paint. Putting the wheel under the car like TD said is a very smart idea, coz you will have the jack stand under the diff if for any reason that slips having the wheel under the rear door will make sure you don't wear a wheel arch for a hat :)

If there is anything else make let me know so i can walk you thru ....

Clunk
1st August 2013, 12:04 AM
Cheers big ears , will be sure to ask if I run into problems. Rusty popping over so should be ok.

Rustyboner81
1st August 2013, 12:09 AM
I'll bring my trolley jack, stands and impact. Will probably be a 20 minute job all up.

Kast
1st August 2013, 12:17 AM
Let us know how it all pans out lads. ..

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Clunk
1st August 2013, 01:15 AM
I'll bring my trolley jack, stands and impact. Will probably be a 20 minute job all up.

Trolley jack would be good, I've only got a bottle jack at the moment. I've got stands though Russ.

Rustyboner81
1st August 2013, 02:17 AM
Cool

Clunk
3rd August 2013, 06:16 PM
Big thanks to Russ for all you done today, another champion bloke.
Found a definite leak once the wheel was off, so off came the calliper, then the rotor, pulled out the axle and found a small cracked on the Inner seal now replaced and no more diff oil smell.

Pictures to follow once friggin MC decides to play ball again

Clunk
4th August 2013, 01:43 AM
OWheel off and there we have signs of leakage.

Calliper and rotor off more signs of leakage.

Look carefully and you'll find the small offending split in the inner seal........ Cost a whole $8 for a replacement one from Repco.
Shaft

Little syringe and Straw device Rusty came up with in order to repack the bearings with grease after the diff oil was cleaned out of them.
(A PIC SHOULD BE HERE BUT THIS CRAPPY APP HAS CRAPPED ITSELF YET AGAIN AFTER THE THIRD REINSTALL THIS EVENING)

Alitis007
4th August 2013, 08:14 AM
Nice work mate! See it wasn't that hard after all aye?

Clunk
4th August 2013, 01:10 PM
Not hard when you know what you're doing, which I don't. So very thankful to Russ as he did everything and explained stuff on the way. I was a very good supervisor who supplied coffee and beer lol.
But I now know what to do when the need arises.

Motorculture sucks chocolate salty balls!!!! Bring back TAPPACRAP............

Rustyboner81
4th August 2013, 01:29 PM
Ahh your gonna make me blush

Clunk
4th August 2013, 01:35 PM
Credit where credits due mate

Rustyboner81
4th August 2013, 02:46 PM
Im uploading that manual i told you about to dropbox at the moment.

Clunk
4th August 2013, 03:08 PM
Im uploading that manual i told you about to dropbox at the moment.

Great stuff, cheers mate

Kast
4th August 2013, 06:17 PM
Good outcome clunk and posts. Good to know us trolsters stick together so nice work too Rusty.

I always get concerned that if I strip something down and need a part that can't be gotten quickly I'll be rooned. So very happy for you clunk that mr repco had the goods.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Rustyboner81
4th August 2013, 07:33 PM
post removed

Rustyboner81
13th August 2013, 09:49 PM
you keepin an eye on that wheel bearing buddy?
no noise?
hub not hot to touch after a drive? (warm is fine HOT is bad)
no smells?
just remember the gear oil washed out all the grease and we got in what we could without pressing the bearing out.

Clunk
13th August 2013, 09:57 PM
you keepin an eye on that wheel bearing buddy?
no noise?
hub not hot to touch after a drive? (warm is fine HOT is bad)
no smells?
just remember the gear oil washed out all the grease and we got in what we could without pressing the bearing out.

Haven't had chance to go on a long run yet. All good so far Russ but thinking I might strip it down again and have a go at getting some more grease in there either this weekend or the weekend after. Need to get myself organised to drop the atf and transfer case oil too. Just waiting on a certain fathers day present ;)

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

Rustyboner81
13th August 2013, 11:44 PM
if i got time i can give you a hand again.

i got a little 4by trip to moore river 25th 26th moore river so those days are out

Clunk
14th August 2013, 12:23 AM
if i got time i can give you a hand again.

i got a little 4by trip to moore river 25th 26th moore river so those days are out

Cheers mate, will see how it goes

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!