PDA

View Full Version : Winnie has done it again! Need elec help!

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 05:19 PM
Okay guys I've done it again. Friday night I parked the car, changed a Parker globe then when I went to start Monday morning it was DEAD flat. It keeps draining power.
I've got a multimeter on it at the moment. With everything off it is drawing 1.8A
Is this acceptable? I have got a full charge on the battery at the moment and it has 12.8V when the car is not running. When it is running it has 14.3V,i am running two alternators, one 140A and a 70A

I am in the process of the moment of pulling each fuse and checking current draw one at a time. Any advice on how else to find the current draw?

Trying to use Motorculture

Got sick of Motorculture so gone back to Tappa

Bloodyaussie
23rd July 2013, 05:30 PM
You are banned from changing light globes mate...????

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 05:32 PM
The first thing I did was pull that globe and check it again! Haha all good.
I just pulled the big black fuse under the bonnet labelled "starter alt" and current draw was then 0.001A

I actually had the car at am auto elec today who did a quick check over it and he said the small alternator was only putting out 3A while the big one was over 30A

Could this drain the battery somehow?

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 05:40 PM
That 0.001 amp is stuff all, the problem is in the starter alt circuit. Disconnect the alternators one at a time and check their current draw, make sure you have the exposed wires taped up so they don't touch earth. It will show you where the problem is. I would have thought the auto elec should've found the fault.

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 05:43 PM
Just worked out that pulling that fuse drops all power to the car... No lights etc.

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 05:52 PM
Aaaaand I just popped the FARKIN fuse in the multimeter and I don't have a spare. Will get another from work tomorrow and try again.

nissannewby
23rd July 2013, 06:40 PM
Really..... lol. Stop doing electrical work on your car. Being that its not factory it could have something to do with the second alternator.

nissannewby
23rd July 2013, 06:41 PM
And get more than one fuse too

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 06:44 PM
It's not the Parker globe's fault! How do I check output of an alternator? Tomorrow I will take the second one off and do the test again.
No other fuse that I pulled decreased the current draw.

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah, Winnie. "Lookatme. Look at me! Look at me! Don't touch the electrics or you'll let out the magic smoke, and once that's gone, nuthin' works.'' Seriously, is there someone nearby that can over and have a look at your747?

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 07:08 PM
Hey Winnie, the second verse of this is for you :')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw
-Mudnutette ^-^

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 08:00 PM
Sorry, Winnie. I just saw what the young' un posted.

taslucas
23rd July 2013, 08:21 PM
Could the blown park light be evidence of something else that went wrong that is also sucking the battery?

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 08:28 PM
As Matt posted earlier, the wiring has been modified, so it will be a bit more difficult to know what is going on. The one globe blowing shouldn't be a problem in itself, but if more blow, it could be an indicator that there is too high a voltage, or a there is a spike occurring. Yendor would be the man to talk to.

happygu
23rd July 2013, 08:59 PM
Okay guys I've done it again. Friday night I parked the car, changed a Parker globe then when I went to start Monday morning it was DEAD flat. It keeps draining power.
I've got a multimeter on it at the moment. With everything off it is drawing 1.8A
Is this acceptable? I have got a full charge on the battery at the moment and it has 12.8V when the car is not running. When it is running it has 14.3V,i am running two alternators, one 140A and a 70A

I am in the process of the moment of pulling each fuse and checking current draw one at a time. Any advice on how else to find the current draw?

Got sick of Motorculture so gone back to Tappa

Should be drawing minimal current with the key off, as there shouldn't be anything left on.... for the main battery anyway. 1.8 Amps means something is wrong.

Keep doing what you are doing, by pulling fuses till you find the source of current leak. Pull all of them out together, remembering where they need to go back, and replace one by one, as there may be more than one problem....

Drewboyaus
23rd July 2013, 09:34 PM
Hey Winnie, the second verse of this is for you :')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw
-Mudnutette ^-^

That is soooooo popular at our place with the kids......quite a catchy tune.....love the dude dancing with his kidneys out! LOL

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Alitis007
23rd July 2013, 09:58 PM
Chris you haven't left an interior light on?? Glove box light maybe?? How old is the battery?

Bloodyaussie
23rd July 2013, 11:30 PM
Like I said to you mate I will donate the spare isolator to the cause.... all we need now is a battery tray and a battery??

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:13 AM
The Parker globe never blew I just changed it for an led one. I will keep checking things tonight, I will just keep disconnecting the battery until I find it.

taslucas
24th July 2013, 07:31 AM
The Parker globe never blew I just changed it for an led one. I will keep checking things tonight, I will just keep disconnecting the battery until I find it.

If it ain't broke...........stay the f&%k away from it!!

Winnie
24th July 2013, 07:37 AM
The Parker globe is not what is drawing power.

threedogs
24th July 2013, 08:05 AM
next time you're on Ebay buy a grab pack of assorted fuses , you can get 120 assorted blade/mini blade for approx. $10.
good value if playing with electrics.

how many globes are you changing to LED ??

Bloodyaussie
24th July 2013, 08:10 AM
I know you dont want to know right now but....... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-GU-PATROL-TD42T-ARB-DUAL-BATTERY-TRAY-BATTERY-SYSTEM-/261251781371

Winnie
24th July 2013, 09:03 AM
It's not the Parker globe's fault! How do I check output of an alternator? Tomorrow I will take the second one off and do the test again.
No other fuse that I pulled decreased the current draw.

If anybody has some advice on this it would be great thanks.

mudnut
24th July 2013, 01:58 PM
I use an ammeter which connects across a shunt, which is connected in line with the alternator output. The shunt is made of a very low resistance piece of metal. When a current flows through it, the meter measures the voltage across it and converts it so it reads in amps. To see what is really going on, take it to a GOOD auto elec.

threedogs
24th July 2013, 02:02 PM
@ Winnie using multi meter put pos on bolt/nut on back of Alternator and earth to earth,
using volts check at 1500 should 13.5 to 13.8

Alitis007
24th July 2013, 02:07 PM
If anybody has some advice on this it would be great thanks.

Chris you haven't left an interior light on?? Glove box light maybe?? How old is the battery?

???????????

mudnut
24th July 2013, 02:32 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fact 1. With everything off, and that means everything, there is a 1.8 amp draw on the battery.

2. The battery is 12.8 volt when engine is off

3. The system runs at 14.3 volts

4. The system has 2 alternators.

5. Winnie has pulled each fuse out, but the 1.8 amps was still being drawn.

6. Winnie pulled the big Alt/starter fuse and the amps dropped to nearly zero.

7. The parker globe was changed for the reason that Winnie updated to LEDs.

8. The big fuse connects the alternators to the rest of the vehicle (as is drawn in the Haynes manual)

threedogs
24th July 2013, 03:23 PM
If this is a game I pick number 6 did I win, Did I win Mudnut what did I win?
Thanks for PM BTW means heaps

mudnut
24th July 2013, 03:34 PM
And the winner is 3D. You get one free punch in the neck.:tease:

I am just trying to understand what's going on with the 747. If I owned it, I would probably ditch the two alternator system and sink my dough into one really heavy duty one, sell the light duty one, and throw the other in the back as a spare when going bush. It would save a bit of weight, and add a few horses. Also it would simplify the thing a hell of a lot.

threedogs
24th July 2013, 03:48 PM
See and raise you, running two must be using Horse power ditching one for a single 120 amp job says to me simplicity.
Not being in a comp rig where batteries need to be charged all the time from
constant winching, don't really see the need for a week end ride.
plus not sure of Winnies set up but could be extra belt as well.
See what he says when he reads this, I personally can't see the need for two alternators. Bit old school, even at night
most run HID now so no need , even led
Depends what hes running, not much at the moment I think but may have future mods in mind

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:02 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fact 1. With everything off, and that means everything, there is a 1.8 amp draw on the battery.

2. The battery is 12.8 volt when engine is off

3. The system runs at 14.3 volts

4. The system has 2 alternators.

5. Winnie has pulled each fuse out, but the 1.8 amps was still being drawn.

6. Winnie pulled the big Alt/starter fuse and the amps dropped to nearly zero.

7. The parker globe was changed for the reason that Winnie updated to LEDs.

8. The big fuse connects the alternators to the rest of the vehicle (as is drawn in the Haynes manual)

Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
When I pulled this fuse it disconnected t power to EVERYTHING! No lights. Nothing. Maybe that is part of the error? My second alternator just has one big cable from the back of it straight to the battery.

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:03 PM
If this is a game I pick number 6 did I win, Did I win Mudnut what did I win?
Thanks for PM BTW means heaps

This post is very helpful mate thanks for your input.

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:05 PM
And the winner is 3D. You get one free punch in the neck.:tease:

I am just trying to understand what's going on with the 747. If I owned it, I would probably ditch the two alternator system and sink my dough into one really heavy duty one, sell the light duty one, and throw the other in the back as a spare when going bush. It would save a bit of weight, and add a few horses. Also it would simplify the thing a hell of a lot.

I would like to do this. The dual alternator system was on it when I bought it, previous owner was an auto electrician. It's not just a matter of removing the alternator though or I would have done it by now. Thermostat housing is modified, brackets are modified etc...

happygu
24th July 2013, 06:09 PM
Winnie,

Can you ring the previous owner to find out what he thinks is going on?

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:11 PM
6 months after I've bought it, I've modified it... He would have no possible way of knowing.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

mudnut
24th July 2013, 06:16 PM
Okay, Winnie. So the second alternator has no other wires at all? If not, can you disconnect the second alternator at the battery, and tape it up and out of the way? That means we only have to worry about the other circuit.

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:18 PM
Okay, Winnie. So the second alternator has no other wires at all? If not, can you disconnect the second alternator at the battery, and tape it up and out of the way? That means we only have to worry about the other circuit.

I has one small wire that goes to the other alternator. I have removed both and the current leak is still there. I was not able to get a new fuse for the meter, going to have to order one in.

mudnut
24th July 2013, 06:41 PM
Okay, Now we can get somewhere. You can get el cheapo meters from super cheap, Kmart or such. Have you disconnected each and every auxiliary wire from the positive terminal. Beware of sparks, could cause the battery to go pop. I usually undo the earth from the body, away from the battery first.

Winnie
24th July 2013, 06:49 PM
The meter I'm using is not mine, it's from work and is worth hundreds.... I have pulled all fuses in the interior kick panel, did not get to the aftermarket stuff under the bonnet before the fuse popped.

NissanGQ4.2
24th July 2013, 06:55 PM
The meter I'm using is not mine, it's from work and is worth hundreds.... I have pulled all fuses in the interior kick panel, did not get to the aftermarket stuff under the bonnet before the fuse popped.

Um ma u broke it!

Sorry I'm no help, thats all I got

taslucas
24th July 2013, 07:01 PM
Winnie,

Can you ring the previous owner to find out what he thinks is going on?

6 months after I've bought it, I've modified it... He would have no possible way of knowing.

might be worth a call anyway? he may know of a mod he did?

mudnut
24th July 2013, 07:04 PM
The shunt inside of the meter is what the fuse protects. Voltage readings should still work. As you remove each auxiliary, check for leakage as you go.

Drewboyaus
24th July 2013, 07:14 PM
Winnie, I remember a thread a while ago about a bloke who had a battery issue not unlike yours just before heading away at Christmas. Yendor talked him through it in the end and I think it turned out to be a rooted alternator that had similar symptoms and was leaking current in a manner very similar to what you are describing.
PM Yendor or do a search through his posts and you might find it. I'm on mobile so can't do it for you just at the minute......

Winnie
24th July 2013, 07:35 PM
How can I check leakage without the ammeter part of the meter? It's going to have 12V across it always?

Hey Drew, thanks mate and that would make sense as the auto elec said that the original alternator was rooted and putting out next to nothing. Ill speak to Rod and see if this could drain any current.

mudnut
24th July 2013, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=Winnie;401820]How can I check leakage without the ammeter part of the meter? It's going to have 12V across it always?

Sorry, Winnie, I should have said "When you have a meter..."

And real early on in the thread, I did say to disconnect the alternators and check each.

Drewboyaus
27th July 2013, 11:28 AM
How did you go mate?

Winnie
27th July 2013, 11:34 AM
You were right I think drew, disconnect the alternator and current draw is down to 0.26A which still might be a bit high? But no flag batteries.

mudnut
27th July 2013, 12:00 PM
Okay, Winnie, now its time to check each auxillary wire on the positive terminal. You are lucky to have the second alternator, so you can still recharge your battery.