PDA

View Full Version : Anybody who knows their way around gauges?!?!

mattdoyle0493
22nd July 2013, 10:52 PM
G'day all,
Ok first up my rig is a 2007 DX Ute, ZD30 common rail, so any specific info would be appreciated, otherwise general info is good!
I want to put a boost gauge, pyro/egt gauge, oil pressure, and possibly either an oil temp or block temp (as yet undecided as to which or none) in the big rig, anyone on here able to give me a good direction to head in regards to being able to tell me info about where to find gauges and senders (electric preferable as will be mounted in an overhead console) where to put senders, sender thread sizes and pitches, everything anyone can tell me, I keep going around in circles while trying to do my own searching and besides, I figure a one stop thread on the forum can't hurt for future readers!

Thanks, Matt

BigRAWesty
22nd July 2013, 11:02 PM
Welcome mate.
First up, stick to quality brands. Pay that little extra for a better finish.
Each gauge should come with the complimentary pieces to complete the system.
And finally, the pyro / egt should be fitted as close to the turbo exhaust outlet as possible.
Boost I'd put close to the engine on the intake manifold.
Oil pressure I'd put next to the oil filters.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mattdoyle0493
22nd July 2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am behind you 100% you get what you pay for, I was looking at VDO gauges, Western Star use them as standard and I am yet to see one fail, only trick is looking through their catalogue I was having a little trouble deciphering the senders, and also trying to work out which ports were available to use on the manifold, exhaust etc, and what size fittings/senders I would need to hook it all up, any ideas in that department? Or anywhere you suggest I look?

MD

rainsey
22nd July 2013, 11:11 PM
Matt,

I have put in Autron gauges in my truck. They are pricy, but, 2 x 52 mm gauges gives me effectively 6 gauges in a single pillar pod.

My first gauge is a a double volt meter with the ammeter option on my second battery. My second gauge is an oil pressure / turbo boost gauge with a temperature option.

I have also purchased their management module that links the gauges together fro. A color / dimming perspective.

They do cost a bit bit in regards to console real estate management, they are worth it.

Go to their web site. Www.autron.com.au and sus them out.

Kindest regards

Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mattdoyle0493
23rd July 2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks rainsy, that site is brilliant, you are right about the pricing but if they are reliable and do the job I don't mind paying the extra dollars. I'm guessing if I contacted them they would know what senders go with which vehicles? Or are they all fairly standard?

MD

"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at"

BigRAWesty
23rd July 2013, 04:53 AM
As for ports to tap into, most standard things will fit. I don't know exact sizes but the patrol oil pressure is next to the filters. So if your wanting temp I'd T it off there..
The only one you may have an issue with is pyro, unless the system has one pre installed.. If it doesn't then you may have to remove the dump pipe and shoot it off to have the sleeve welded in..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)