PDA

View Full Version : td05 turbos

florix
22nd July 2013, 02:40 AM
Hey all
I know this has probably been mentioned a million times before but in regards to the td05 18g turbos can you just buy any and fit them up or is thre more to it then that? I see many for around the $500 mark that are from Mitsubishi and Subaru. I just dont understand the difference between one marketed at a patrol and one for another vehicle. Buy one for a patrol and its 2K or one off another car for well under this price. Can anybody please explain or even link me to an affordable turbo to suit a TD42Ti?
Thanks

YNOT
22nd July 2013, 06:53 AM
There are different configurations of TD05 turbo's, for them to work properly on your Patrol they need to have the right trim compressor and turbine housings, that may be the difference.
Are you wanting to upgrade or replace a worn/faulty standard turbo?

nissannewby
22nd July 2013, 11:26 AM
The rear housings will be what you have to watch. The 2k+ units you speak of have been tweaked with housing and turbine modifications so they are better suited to the TD42T. Check out the other patrol forum there is heaps of info regarding the Mitsubishi turbos from genuine MHI items to the Kinugawa ones.

What sort of power, setup etc are you looking at? What about a garrett?

I have a UFI 18G on mine and it works really well but it was expensive and the after sales service leaves a little to be desired. It will work even better once I upgrade to a 12mm pump.

florix
22nd July 2013, 07:31 PM
I am looking at changing my top mount to a cross country or ARE setup. Plus change the turbo and then the finer tuning there after. I love power and want to roost the cars 10ks away in the bush haha

florix
22nd July 2013, 07:35 PM
I have to go top mount because I have no room left for a decent front mount with my winch and aircon in the way

nissannewby
22nd July 2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah its easier to source a turbo if you have some sort of power figure. example an 18g is good for 230-240