PDA

View Full Version : Clutch fan

patrol2.8
19th July 2013, 08:31 PM
I was piss fartin around under the bonnet today and noticed a wobble on the fan when i grab the blades can feel movement on the shaft is there supposed to be a bit of play or is it on its way out
Sent from my LG-P500 using Motorculture mobile app

Rustyboner81
21st July 2013, 07:00 AM
No mate play is bad.
Better get that sorted........... how much of a wobble? 1mm or more like 3mm?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Motorculture mobile app

Rustyboner81
21st July 2013, 07:04 AM
"How do I know if my fan clutch needs to be replaced?"

These are the most common symptoms of a failed fan clutch:Engine overheating – with engine hot and ignition off, spin fan 1-11/2 revolutions indicates a worn clutch.Excessive Fan Clutch play – push the tip of the fan blade in and out. Any visible looseness in the clutch shaft means the bearing is worn.Greasy build up – Oily streaks radiating outward from the hub shaft or fluid leaking at centre of thermostat spring.Bad bearing - Seized, turns rough or has excessive play (more than 1/4" at fan tip).Freezing up – If the fan blade cannot be rotated by hand, or if hand rotation causes a harsh rumbling, the fan clutch bearing has failed.Shaft vibration – The fan clutch is mounted on the water pump between the water pump shaft and the fan. Any vibration can mean a worn bearing in the water pump o fan clutch. Since the fan clutch and water pump have about the same life span, it makes sense to replace both at the same time.Worn thermal spring - Spring is loose.Some fan clutches will show no visible indication of a problem yet may still be faulty. The following may also indicate a faulty fan clutch:Fan spins excessively - Three or more times when hot engine is shut off.Poor air conditioning - At low speedor excessive high side pressures.Doesn't engage - Fan speed does not increase or "lock up" when the engine is hot.Does not disengage - Fan clutch won't slow down when the engine is cold.

Rustyboner81
21st July 2013, 07:07 AM
Oops didnt mean to paste so much.

Had the same thing on a cummins engine on a drill rig. 2hrs later it had completely come away from the shaft. So i wouldnt recommend ignoring it.

Good work on finding it now
Cant believe your question has had 36 views and no answer??

patrol2.8
21st July 2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks rustyboner at moment clutch fan is working properly but will be changing it asap as i didn't think there should be any movement

patrol2.8
25th July 2013, 09:41 PM
rang Nissan today for a price $480:00 for a clutch fan are these things made of gold

threedogs
26th July 2013, 08:41 AM
Doesn't matter what make you have they are expensive, Nissan 's are throw away I think
at least Tojo are rebuildable. Has anyone tried a fixed plastic fan or another fan from another model that
may be cheaper

SupRob
26th July 2013, 09:16 AM
Hey buddy, does it have to be a geunine nissian part?

What year model is it and is it Turbo or ETI ?

Rob,

patrol2.8
26th July 2013, 10:29 AM
Rob doesn't need to be gen parts a mate in the trade picked me one up for 170

threedogs
26th July 2013, 11:12 AM
Sounds about right price wise

wildgu6
26th July 2013, 11:13 AM
Give Garry at NIZZBITS an email, his prices and service are pretty good, got a fan from Vic to sa in one day at a good price, should find his info in the vendors section or check out his profile for email add

Patrolling along with motor c,
No more ratta tap tap

patrol2.8
26th July 2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks will keep that mind for next time i have a mate in the trade who picked one up for me

patrol2.8
26th July 2013, 10:00 PM
Doesn't matter what make you have they are expensive, Nissan 's are throw away I think
at least Tojo are rebuildable. Has anyone tried a fixed plastic fan or another fan from another model that
may be cheaper
I did run a thermo setup for a while my son made up an alloy shroud which we put au twin thermo setup into worked well but they seemed to be on 95% of the time although car didn't run hot but with them on most of the time I went back to original setup