PDA

View Full Version : Alternator not charging the battery

Spyrodragon
18th July 2013, 09:20 PM
Have got a problem with my alternator not charging the battery. Battery is brand new. We have put a new alternator in. At one point it was putting out 14 then drops back to 12.5. The old alternator was putting out 11.5. As I'm not too familiar with the Nissan set up. Owned an 80 series for 15 yrs. Need some info if anyone has experienced this sort of problem

sil3nt_dr3ams
22nd July 2013, 04:20 AM
Mate your going to have check all your connections. Google load test, its all about trouble shooting isolate a problem rule out a each and every possible problem. Nissan landcrusier alternator still works the same. Are you getting a flat battery? Are you using a multimeter or a staring at a battery meter on your dash while driving?

Col.T
23rd July 2013, 07:47 PM
Spyro,
this is probably a dumb question but is the battery not charging or charging but not holding it's charge.
Seems that if the alt. is doing it's job and the battery is new, then maybe you've got a problem somewhere else.
Try charging it to capacity with a charger (not the alternator), measure voltage, then check it next morning after no running. If it's an alternator problem the voltage should be unchanged. If it has dropped substantially, let the search begin.
After that, for mine, it's off to an auto sparky.
Good luck
Col

brw1994
23rd July 2013, 08:09 PM
Just putting out there something simple... recheck your belt/s are tight

happygu
23rd July 2013, 09:04 PM
14.0 - 14.4 Volts means Alternator will charge the battery, and 12.5 is less than the battery rest voltage of 12.8V, so this is not good for charging.

Try charging the battery with an external charger after disconnecting it form the car, and see if it comes up and holds a charge....

Then re-assess from there. Could be a dodgy connection, faulty battery, fault in wiring, etc....

Mic

rainsey
23rd July 2013, 09:59 PM
Check your earth connections. I had some work done some time back and on return of my vehicle my battery was constantly going flat. Thinking it was the battery I bought a new one. Same issue.

Next thought was the alternator. Got a replacement. Same issue. On closer inspection, it turned out that the mechanic did not re bolt my earth lead from the battery to the engine block. To be more accurate, they actually broke the cable when they lifted the engine out.

Ran a new cable from the battery negative to the block. Since doing this have not had an issue.

Cheers
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rainsey
23rd July 2013, 10:02 PM
Oh, another thing. One of your best friends in a situation like this is an ammeter.

Go down to your local Jaycar store and buy yourself a multimeter with a clamp ammeter. Stick it in your glovebox. If you think you are not charging your battery, get it out and put it around, probably the earth lead leaving your battery. You will immediately see if you are charging or not.

Cheers
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD