PDA

View Full Version : GU TD2.8 - Putting an additive into gearbox oil

Forbes4x4
17th July 2013, 07:30 PM
Silly question regarding my GU TD2.8.. I'm wanting put an additive into my gearbox oil to quieten a little rattle it make in neutral and to generally make it a little smoother. Problem is that I can't find the hole! The gearbox filler hole that is :tease:

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can put this additive in?

nissannewby
17th July 2013, 07:34 PM
Possible on the drivers side about half way up the box, it might have a 1/2" square drive in it.

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2013, 07:51 PM
Don't know about GU's or manual gearboxes but on the GQ Auto box there is no filler hole, you have to pump it down the small dipstick hole!!! Maybe yours is the same

Edit: I have also renamed your thread title as you might get more response

Forbes4x4
18th July 2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm having a mechanic mate of mine look at it tomorrow - was a bit embarrassed to ask but at least it's better to do that then guess, put in in the wrong hole and really screw something up! Will let you know how I go!

mudski
19th July 2013, 08:47 AM
Does this rattle in neutral go away once you put your foot on the clutch? Is so thats the clutch release bearing carrier rattling on the nose cone.
Mine did this noise, then I replaced the clutch, cleaned up the nose cone, greased up the carrier, and it went away. Six months later its back :( The grease has obviously gorn...

tassie wombat
19th July 2013, 06:37 PM
My old gq box was the same,pretty sure its the input shaft bearing in the gearbox,I tried some additive from wynns,and didn't make an ounce of differance !

Forbes4x4
20th July 2013, 09:34 PM
I just had a new heavy duty clutch and solid fly wheel put in (the old original ones died; couldn't even move it a cm)! The rattle stops as soon as I put in gear and start moving. I'd say its the input shaft bearing.. The additive I got was Nulon and am hopefully putting it in tomorrow. I'll post again if it works! Was about $23/tube from supercheap.

mortn
6th August 2013, 11:18 PM
I just had a new heavy duty clutch and solid fly wheel put in (the old original ones died; couldn't even move it a cm)! The rattle stops as soon as I put in gear and start moving. I'd say its the input shaft bearing.. The additive I got was Nulon and am hopefully putting it in tomorrow. I'll post again if it works! Was about $23/tube from supercheap.

Did it?? :) Same problem here!

davo94
7th August 2013, 01:47 PM
Put half a bottle of moreys oil stabilizer in.. rattle masked..

tonyhoughton
9th August 2013, 10:50 AM
I just had a gearbox rebuild... New HD clutch and fly wheel milled... And I also have the rattle when in neutral with the clutch engaged. Drop the clutch and it's gone...

As there's 3 of us hearing this, is this to be expected? Is it doing damage? Should I take it back?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2